Is Wraith Stealth enough for a 5700X?

IproZ
Go to solution Solved by BiG StroOnZ,

As a temporary solution, it should suffice. However, I would consider a decent aftermarket Air Cooler at some point. People complain when using the Wraith Stealth on even a 5600X that it reaches nearly 80°C, while also being disruptive from the noise levels.

I suppose with an undervolt it might be more bearable, but you can get a decent cooler for $20-40, so it's something I'd look into.

Also, don't forget to update your motherboard BIOS to ensure compatibility with the 5700X.

Hi! I've been planning on upgrading to a 5700X from a Ryzen 2600 and wanted to know is the Wraith Stealth that came with my 2600 enough for an 8 core CPU. I've looked online and keep finding mixed opinions so I thought I'd ask here. I know both CPUs have 65W but I've noticed that TDP doesn't really tell the whole story. If not, could I possibly do something in my BIOS to make it not clock as high in tasks as occasional video editing/rendering as I don't need the maximum potential  as I have an RX 580 for now which is a pretty decent bottleneck anyway. I also have 2 120mm fans on my side panel that blow air on top of the stock cooler too, since my case doesn't have a glass side panel. Also my motherboard is an Asus Tuf B450 plus Gaming. Thanks in advance!

3 minutes ago, IproZ said:

Hi! I've been planning on upgrading to a 5700X from a Ryzen 2600 and wanted to know is the Wraith Stealth that came with my 2600 enough for an 8 core CPU. I've looked online and keep finding mixed opinions so I thought I'd ask here. I know both CPUs have 65W but I've noticed that TDP doesn't really tell the whole story. If not, could I possibly do something in my BIOS to make it not clock as high in tasks as occasional video editing/rendering as I don't need the maximum potential  as I have an RX 580 for now which is a pretty decent bottleneck anyway. I also have 2 120mm fans on my side panel that blow air on top of the stock cooler too, since my case doesn't have a glass side panel. Also my motherboard is an Asus Tuf B450 plus Gaming. Thanks in advance!

Do you want your CPU to always be 70 degrees or higher? (Even the Ryzen 5 5600x reaches more than 70 degrees with the stock cooler)

As a temporary solution, it should suffice. However, I would consider a decent aftermarket Air Cooler at some point. People complain when using the Wraith Stealth on even a 5600X that it reaches nearly 80°C, while also being disruptive from the noise levels.

I suppose with an undervolt it might be more bearable, but you can get a decent cooler for $20-40, so it's something I'd look into.

Also, don't forget to update your motherboard BIOS to ensure compatibility with the 5700X.

really depends how good the airflow of your case is. If you have good airflow and your room's temperature isn't that high, it would be reasonable. But if you live in a warm climate, and/or have a more restricted PC case, consider buying a cheap tower cooler 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

there's "enough", and there's "enough".

it'll run with the cooler, it'll probably run fine with the cooler.

but if i had to hazard a guess, you'd leave at least a decent chunk of boosting behavior on the table.

1 hour ago, IproZ said:

It will automatically throttle once it reaches the (determined by AMD) safe temperature. So the potential downside to the cheap cooler is less computing power (so you are wasting power you paid for) and noise. 

I think the "X" versions are just a bit higher clocked (and more expensive) versions. If you don't need the power, may as well get a non-X. it all depends.

You just can install it and see how it works in your daily life. If you notice throttling, or noise bothers you, you know what to do. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro

Thanks for the responses! I'll hold off with the purchase until I pick up a decent tower cooler since the airflow in my case is not the best.

56 minutes ago, IproZ said:

Thanks for the responses! I'll hold off with the purchase until I pick up a decent tower cooler since the airflow in my case is not the best.

I'd improve the case first. You also need to cool all other components, not just the CPU. 

AMD 9 7900 + Thermalright Peerless Assassin SE

Gigabyte B650m DS3H

2x16GB GSkill 60000 CL30

Samsung 980 Pro 2TB

Fractal Torrent Compact

Seasonic Focus Plus 550W Platinum

W11 Pro