How to setup minecraft server with MineOS on a virtual machine

I am planning to host my own minecraft server(in australia) on my pc to play with my overseas friends(in nepal). I was told to use a virtual machine if i wanted to be secure enough as i have to provide my ip to others.
I haven't set up a server before so it would be a great help if anyone could provide me some info to get this server working. Also, Do i need to do anything to secure my pc from others knowing my ip.
PC specs:
Ryzen 9 5900x
ddr4 3600mhz 16gb
rtx 3080
500 gb empty sata ssd
msi b550a pro motherboard
internet speed is 50mbps down 18mbps upload
Also, is this pc enough for playing minecraft and hosting mincraft at same time??

I don't fully understand why you would need to use a VM to host that server. Yes, you're handing out your IP, which is always "a" risk. However, your IP won't really change after you've shut the server off? So once the server is off/vm shut down, attackers still could try to do "funny stuffs" to your machine. And because of that, I myself wouldn't bother with a VM.

*Never used a VM before, but I doubt you would get a functional fresh new external IP while running a VM*

13 minutes ago, Zagna said:

those are hot garbage for java. stop recommending them for minecraft servers. i could make this longer, but i've done the talk enough.

---

on topic: standard disclaimer applies, dont host anything at home that is meant for anyone else than your direct friends. again.. this talk can be longer, i'm not gonna bother.

past that, two things about your setup are unnecessary:

- using a VM on your desktop adds literally zero worthwhile security to this setup. the 'giving our your IP address' thing is why the above "direct friends" disclaimer applies.

- MineOS has zero benefit (and in my opinion, only downsides) if you're only running a single server.

beyond that, questions that i'm gonna clear up directly:

Do i need to do anything to secure my pc from others knowing my ip.

=> yes and no. obviously, dont blindly port forward all sorts of things and/or go posting your IP on public places. but if you just forward port 25565 (default minecraft port) technically only a DoS or very high level threat (means smart person who probably has better things to do) type attacks are a worry. again - refer to the "friends" disclaimer.

your IP address is also not as "private" as you think. many games have a P2P connection, there's a trick to kick people out your session in GTA V Online using this detail. the P2P connection technically shows your IP address to any other player in your session. beyond that, any service you connect to (including this forum) also knows you IP address. it's essentially like your phone number: technically it's private, but anyone you call, also knows how to call you back.

is this pc enough for playing minecraft and hosting mincraft at same time??

=> assuming you arent running some juicy modpack that requires more than 8GB allocated to the client, it should be fine.

now.. as for how to set up a server:

- if you're using a modpack: most of them have a server pack available, download and run it, done.

- if you're planning on running 'bone stock vanilla' - i suggest downloading something like PaperMC for performance reasons. you just stick that in a folder, and make a text file called 'run.bat' next to that with the following text:

java -jar -Xmx2G whatever-the-filename-is-for-your-server.jar

just double click the file to run the server. stopping the server can be done by typing 'stop'  into the prompt.

after your first run, there's a few things you might want to tweak in the server.properties file:

- enable the whitelist (if you know who will join the server, this way you can lock out anyone else from connecting)

- spawn protection radius: you might want to set this to zero if the server is just a small group of friends. spawn protection essentially means that within this radius from 0:0 only server admins can break or place blocks. if everyone's friends, this is only an annoyance.