Why my pc so slow???

abux
Go to solution Solved by abux,

mechanical drive? so solution to my problem is getting new drive or ssd i see

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (16) @ 3.700GHz

RAM: 32

when i run games it doesnt lag but when im on desktop its being slow i did use windows but it was even slower than linux so i switched

if anyone have idea why is being so slow please tell me i am not good at pc parts and stuff. thx

image.png.a2d76dc290b3a0c51f406d71725ed219.png

image.png.193b53765befdd9f7993ec88945941cd.png

what does 'slow' mean in this case? what results are you expecting?

Personally I had nothing but trouble with manjaro. If you are willing to expirement with distros and want arch based / rolling release, you can try endeavourOS, it's very lightweight, and a quick install.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

31 minutes ago, Takumidesh said:

what does 'slow' mean in this case? what results are you expecting?

Personally I had nothing but trouble with manjaro. If you are willing to expirement with distros and want arch based / rolling release, you can try endeavourOS, it's very lightweight, and a quick install.

by saying "slow" i mean my pc have hard time loading things is loading them for ages unlike my laptop witch is weaker but is very fast. thx for reply i will check endeavourOS also when i was using windows my cpu was sometimes 100% even when i ran only 1 app or install games from steam. also i did have litle bit of trouble with manjaro on nvidia drivers but i did manage to fix it fast. to be clear how can i make my apps load quicker and not load for ages do i have to overclock it?

14 hours ago, abux said:

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X (16) @ 3.700GHz

RAM: 32

when i run games it doesnt lag but when im on desktop its being slow i did use windows but it was even slower than linux so i switched

if anyone have idea why is being so slow please tell me i am not good at pc parts and stuff. thx

image.png.a2d76dc290b3a0c51f406d71725ed219.png

image.png.193b53765befdd9f7993ec88945941cd.png

How long has this been a problem? Since you built it? If so what type of Sata cables are you using, and is your Sata cables plugged in the SATA 3 ports on the motherboard? Check your motherboard box or manual to see which SATA ports support 6gbps speeds(SATA 3), if your cable is plugged into the slower 3gbps speed then it might be why its so slow.

My pc was also slow but then I bought new Sata 3 cables, and put it in my 6gbps port and now everything is fast, even boots faster.

1 hour ago, WackySpace said:

How long has this been a problem? Since you built it? If so what type of Sata cables are you using, and is your Sata cables plugged in the SATA 3 ports on the motherboard? Check your motherboard box or manual to see which SATA ports support 6gbps speeds(SATA 3), if your cable is plugged into the slower 3gbps speed then it might be why its so slow.

My pc was also slow but then I bought new Sata 3 cables, and put it in my 6gbps port and now everything is fast, even boots faster.

since i got the pc it was loading for ever i didnt do anything with it cos before that i had very bad pc. i did not build the pc i got it from amazon. idk what is SATA cables but there are 2 cables that are not pluged in it says on the cable "PCI-E". plss tell me if these cables should be pluged in somewhere thx

12 minutes ago, abux said:

since i got the pc it was loading for ever i didnt do anything with it cos before that i had very bad pc. i did not build the pc i got it from amazon. idk what is SATA cables but there are 2 cables that are not pluged in it says on the cable "PCI-E". plss tell me if these cables should be pluged in somewhere thx

umm i ment to plug them in right?

IMG_20230118_133746.jpg

i think i found a problem. i think is bc i use rly slow hard drive "TOSHIBA HDWD110". my motherboard "PRIME A320M-K" if any 1 have any recommendations for ssd plss tell me 🙂

21 hours ago, abux said:

Sata cables are data cables that are plugged into your hard drive, either your SSD or HDD. Google your motherboard model to get a manual and see which Sata ports are SATA 1 and 2, or the port the supports 6gbps speed and check if your Sata cable is plugged in that port. Pcie cables are not necessary unless you have a Graphics card that need power. If you do have to move the Sata cables to the correct port, beware that your Boot order in the Bios might reset so set it back in the BIOS, but if the cable is in SATA one it should be in the top of the boot order automatically.

If it's still slow it means the SATA cables might be worn out or not working properly, I had the same problem and bought new SATA 3 cables and now my computer boots up within 30 seconds with my hard drive,  where it used to take minutes.

Motherboard SATA Ports

Amphenol SATA Cable (Straight with Latch to Left Angle) - Pactech

These red cables are standard SATA 2 cables, so they have a max speed of 3 gbps, make sure you have SATA 3 cables, they are usually blue I think.

if its a mechanical hard drive and not an SSD, then yep the computer will be a complete slug.

Crucial MX500 is usually a solid option for a reasonable sata ssd.

15 hours ago, abux said:

i think i found a problem. i think is bc i use rly slow hard drive "TOSHIBA HDWD110". my motherboard "PRIME A320M-K" if any 1 have any recommendations for ssd plss tell me 🙂

• Hard Disk Model: TOSHIBA HDWD110
  • Disk Family: P300
  • Form Factor: 3.5″
  • Capacity: 1 TB (1 x 1 000 000 000 000 bytes)
  • Rotational Speed: 7200 RPM
  • Rotation Time: 8.33 ms
  • Average Rotational Latency: 4.17 ms
  • Disk Interface: Serial-ATA/600
  • Buffer-Host Max. Rate: 600 MB/seconds
  • Buffer Size: 65536 KB
  • Width: 101.6 mm (4.00 inch)
  • Depth: 147 mm (5.79 inch)
  • Height: 26.1 mm (1.03 inch)
  • Weight: 450 grams (0.99 pounds)
  • Manufacturer: Toshiba Corp., Storage Device Division

7200 RPM is a fairly decent speed and its capable of 6gbps transfer rate. It's also a good idea to pair it with an SSD, install your OS on the SSD and set up the HDD as storage. If your motherboard has M.2 slots get those, they are faster and don't require SATA cables. If not, get a normal SATA SSD.

thx for every advice everyone :>. also i got a question cos my friend recommended me a NVME SSD is it a good option for fast performance or should i look for something else if not il try MX500.

56 minutes ago, abux said:

thx for every advice everyone :>. also i got a question cos my friend recommended me a NVME SSD is it a good option for fast performance or should i look for something else if not il try MX500.

your board may not have an NVME slot check first!

1 hour ago, abux said:

The gains on a NVMe SSD vs a sata SSD are minimal for most people, especially with a 2700x.  Also as Aragorn said, you system may not support NVMe, but will 100% support sata.

2 hours ago, Aragorn- said:

your board may not have an NVME slot check first!

my motherboard

PRIME A320M-K

i forgot to mention is not my cpu that was 100% it was my disk that sometimes on opening something goes to 100%

that board does have m.2

And yes, with a mechanical drive you'll find disk is stuck at 100% almost continuously.

mechanical drive? so solution to my problem is getting new drive or ssd i see