Too much vibration on dash cam because of bass

venomtail

So I bought a Garmin 57 dash cam, a pretty solid B+ camera with too much grain for my liking (yet to update the camera and see if that makes it any better, who knows which version they get delivered to at the stores), overall satisfied with it. 

Just one thing, looking back at the footage I can see a slight vibration every beat or drop because of the bass from the cars speakers when driving. I should probably just leave it but the perfectionist in me keeps thinking about the vibration leaving me to ask, is there an actual solution to this? Some mount that is extra vibration proof? Some inertia gimbal maybe? And if there is one, would it even fit my dash cam?

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

17 minutes ago, venomtail said:

So I bought a Garmin 57 dash cam, a pretty solid B+ camera with too much grain for my liking (yet to update the camera and see if that makes it any better, who knows which version they get delivered to at the stores), overall satisfied with it. 

Just one thing, looking back at the footage I can see a slight vibration every beat or drop because of the bass from the cars speakers when driving. I should probably just leave it but the perfectionist in me keeps thinking about the vibration leaving me to ask, is there an actual solution to this? Some mount that is extra vibration proof? Some inertia gimbal maybe? And if there is one, would it even fit my dash cam?

Probably not the stock speakers on your car right? You want those speakers to be better isolated from the car, also makes them sound better. As for the mount itself. Probably not much you can do other than create your own mount with shock absorbers but the issue is that the windshield is bouncing. Best to reduce the bass or open up a windows to relieve the pressure building up inside.

This is a bit of a theme with dash cams that swivel the entire camera. You can try rigging up more secure mounting yourself, but I don't believe there's a product you can buy to fix it. Dash cams that only swivel the sensor, including most Viofo dash cams and a few from Vantrue and 70 mai, will be less affected by this, but switching to a new dash cam isn't the most sensible solution to an ultimately minor issue.

On the sound side, better isolation for your subwoofer(s) could help, and less bass is always an option.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

Or...you know...you could turn down the volume.

Crazy solution...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Heavy bass even causes glass to flex, Bass = Vibration, especially inside, mount it behind the grill will waterproof case, best bet

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

45 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Probably not the stock speakers on your car right? You want those speakers to be better isolated from the car, also makes them sound better. As for the mount itself. Probably not much you can do other than create your own mount with shock absorbers but the issue is that the windshield is bouncing. Best to reduce the bass or open up a windows to relieve the pressure building up inside.

Might surprise you but stock Volvo speakers, P3 S80 to be specific if anyone's interested. Bass and Treble aren't even turned to the max, also at default factory levels. Haven't been in any car newer than a 2018's but still the best speakers out of all cars. Heard the latest BMW iX with its specially build cabin together with audio engineers finally takes the sound crown.

29 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Or...you know...you could turn down the volume.

Crazy solution...

If I paid for a good audio system imma use the full audio system 🌚

37 minutes ago, BobVonBob said:

This is a bit of a theme with dash cams that swivel the entire camera. You can try rigging up more secure mounting yourself, but I don't believe there's a product you can buy to fix it. Dash cams that only swivel the sensor, including most Viofo dash cams and a few from Vantrue and 70 mai, will be less affected by this, but switching to a new dash cam isn't the most sensible solution to an ultimately minor issue.

On the sound side, better isolation for your subwoofer(s) could help, and less bass is always an option.

24 minutes ago, lotus10101 said:

Heavy bass even causes glass to flex, Bass = Vibration, especially inside, mount it behind the grill will waterproof case, best bet

I'll have a look if there's a quick fix that maybe exists but most likely I'll just have to let it be, turn down the music only when something happens that needs all the details capturing.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

On 1/17/2023 at 10:45 AM, venomtail said:

If I paid for a good audio system imma use the full audio system

I know 3 people now that ran around blasting their subs/speakers when they were younger for years. They all have varying levels of hearing loss now in their 30s, I have to raise my voice to them like I would with an 80 year old man.

Good luck with that!

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20