Floatplane: I’m disappointed

matgaj24

I got a month of floatplane for daddy Linus but honestly… I’m really disappointed

The exclusive content is often of subpar quality (especially audio-wise) and mostly unedited which makes it feel more like scraps than something *exclusive*. Going in, I was hoping for something more akin to DankPods’s Patreon “After Show” and what I got was a bit of a letdown. 

The app is a bit clunky too. On iOS there seems to be no way to browse creators that you’re not subscribed to. Also no way to adjust account settings or unsubscribe (which sucks because in the mobile browser version the button is actually too far to the right and thus unreachable, even on the “desktop version” of the site). 

Also, the publication date and title mismatch makes it hard to keep track of what videos I’ve seen already on either platform, which is especially prevalent with TechLinked. 

Guys… all the best and I love you but… I was hoping for something more… magical

22 minutes ago, matgaj24 said:

The app is a bit clunky too. On iOS there seems to be no way to browse creators that you’re not subscribed to. Also no way to adjust account settings or unsubscribe (which sucks because in the mobile browser version the button is actually too far to the right and thus unreachable, even on the “desktop version” of the site).

How odd. I'm on Android but I can browse other creators, cancel my sub and adjust payment type. I wonder why they're so different?

14 minutes ago, Zomeguy said:

How odd. I'm on Android but I can browse other creators, cancel my sub and adjust payment type. I wonder why they're so different?

Because you're on Android.

Daddy Apple doesn't like a lot of things and the Floatplane team had to remove many things from the iOS app because of that (Luke said as much many times on the WAN show)

If you're on an iOS device, just turn the main website into an "app"

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/turn-any-website-into-full-screen-app-your-iphone-0384426/

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

17 hours ago, matgaj24 said:

The exclusive content is often of subpar quality (especially audio-wise) and mostly unedited which makes it feel more like scraps than something *exclusive*. Going in, I was hoping for something more akin to DankPods’s Patreon “After Show” and what I got was a bit of a letdown.

Not hating on your opinion, you are entitled to have one. Just that based on this, you seem to have taken word to mean "expensive" rather than "to limited audience". From start, exclusive content was meant to be BTS videos shot by Linus walking around with phone. Because that was something people were asking for. Currently its bit more HD than that, with the person walking around with actual camera. Audio is from camera mics only, and the footage isn't edited other than some cutting and pasteing. The rest of the stuff is extended cuts, cutting room floor montages, staff reacting to videos and stuff like that. Things that they would maybe be able to put on CSF. Plus Pre- and After-WAN livestreams that aren't recorded.

So in terms of quality, nothing special. In terms of content, also nothing super-special, but something you don't see elsewhere. Worth the price? Probably not.

Apple being Apple, as noted by Luke several times.

Also, the publication date and title mismatch makes it hard to keep track of what videos I’ve seen already on either platform, which is especially prevalent with TechLinked.

This one is as much Google/Youtube as previous is on Apple. On Floatplane they don't need to cater for algorithms with titles. Thumbnails are same as with YT, for most parts. But titles on FP are what they would be in YT if YT algorithm would appreciate normal humans instead of edgy teens.

Guys… all the best and I love you but… I was hoping for something more… magical

LTTStore.com for those magical things.

For me, any paid premium is always about supporting creator first and getting perks second. Of Floatplane, being able to download content is the biggest benefit for me. Extra content and better quality are nice-to-have, but don't really matter that much. But to be able to watch when offline (for example flying), huge pro.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv