Forget Corsair Scimitar Elite, get the Logitech G600 for productivity (user report)

alexthealex

Just want to share my experience as someone who wants a lot of macro buttons on my mouse for productivity.

Why use a macro mouse in the first place?

After pulling the trigger on my first purchase it changed the way I use a computer in so many ways it is simply irreplaceable.

Not having to reach for the keyboard for COPY and PASTE alone would be worth it, but my macros also allow me to do all these things without touching my keyboard which actually saves a lot more time than you'd think:

media play/pause, media next, screenshot, undo, ctrl, shift (used with FancyZones I can snap windows to zones with mouse only which is the biggest time saver of all and my favorite use case as it is insanely convenient),

forward, backward, panning (with help from an AHK script), instantly googling selected text (AHK), and more...

After using Corsair Scimitar Elite for about 1 year its scroll wheel broke (started glitching) like many other users report. The reality is that Corsair's scroll wheels are built extremely bad and aren't even designed to be pressed straight down, but at an angle to the right. It is insane how bad they feel and perform compared to even the wheel on the G600 which is an ancient design at this point.

After switching to the G600 after 2 years of using the Scimitar I immediately noticed improvements and so far not a single downside.

For anyone not yet convinced and still considering the Scimitar I will list all the improvements in order of importance:

- MUCH better feeling scroll wheel (both scroll and middle click)

- Logitech GHUB obliterates Corsair's iCUE software (faster and better UI for initial configuration of macros and almost no bugs while iCUE has some and also crashes on approximately a weekly-monthly basis which is mildly annoying - also the fact that Corsair won't fix it, it's been years...)

- third mouse button is amazing in that it doubles the number of macros and is reasonably natural to use (and if you don't like it you can simply not use it, however I haven't had any accidental click problems with it)

- better feeling switches on both the number pad and the main buttons

- can actually locate the buttons by feel due to their slantedness (Scimitar has texture but that is NOT feelable in real world use - you do build muscle memory so it becomes a non-problem in time but for getting used to it the G600 is better)

- no loose wobble on the side buttons

- brighter RGB on numpad (not very important TBH but better)

Downsides of the G600:

- LGHUB has 1 bug atm where it doesn't detect when you click to assign a macro to a button (only mildly annoying while configuring, has no effect on usability as it only happens when configuring the mouse)

- button pad position can't be adjusted like it can with the scimitar (not a problem for my average sized hands, maybe if you have a very non-standard hand size...)

Why don't I use my warranty after the Scimitar broke?

- postage cost would probably make it pointless

- I need a macro mouse and can't afford to wait weeks for a repair

My experience with the G600 and other mice:

I had a G600 and really liked it, the buttons are really handy and helped a lot, but after some time, i believe 2 years or so, 2 side buttons started to fail some times, few months after that 3 buttons didn't work at all and one other failed some times, shortly after the scroll click stopped working, Logitech refused my warranty because I bought it in another country, so I just got a cheap G302 that was on sale for $15. The G302 scroll click stopped working after 2 years or so of use and the left click started to fail some time after, so I just started avoiding Logitech. Currently using a rebranded Fantech Helios XD3 V2 that I got for $35, this time around I will probably fix it myself if some switch start to fail.

22 hours ago, alexthealex said:

After using Corsair Scimitar Elite for about 1 year its scroll wheel broke (started glitching) like many other users report. The reality is that Corsair's scroll wheels are built extremely bad and aren't even designed to be pressed straight down, but at an angle to the right. It is insane how bad they feel and perform compared to even the wheel on the G600 which is an ancient design at this point.

I accidently rolled my Scimitar when I tried to grab it while it was on the mouse mat. Rolling it over 180 degrees broke the middle mouse button. It didn't fall on the floor. I'm staying with $10 mice since they seem to last longer and won't feel bad it it breaks down.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X   Motherboard: MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wifi   Case: Deepcool Maxtrexx 70   GPU: RTX 3090   RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 3x16GB 3200 MHz   PSU: Super Flower 850W