Can you fix bent pins?

Go to solution Solved by da na,

Looks like your thermal interface material is the issue, not bent pins. I'd reapply paste and make sure your cooler is well secured.

Hey everyone! So I was trying to change the cooler on my Ryzen 5 5600. I took it out of the socket and I was trying to clean it but I accidentally dropped it and quite a few pins bent.
I know, stupid situation to be in. What I ended up doing is grabbing a magnifying glass and carefully straightening the pins with a nail file.

I got it to the point where my cpu again fit in the socket. I put some fresh paste, put the cooler back (stock r5 cooler) and I booted it back on and everything seemed fine. I gamed on it as usual for the past 2 days and there seemed to be no issue.

Today tho I got a random bluescreen from something and when I turned by pc back on I got a bios error that CPU Temp is too high. I checked it in the bios and it was 78C.

I plugged everything out of it, open the side panel and checked everything. The VRM metal cooling thing was quite hot so I let it cool down. I also did leave the shitty case cooler unplugged. I plugged it back in and I booted the pc again and it's a bit better.

When I first booted it spiked to 85 then it went down to 50-60. I started downloading some game on steam and went again to 80 and now it's at about 76.

Is this normal? Is it possible that I damaged something to the point where my cpu temp gets wacky?

Worth nothing that usually I get 80-85 while playing and now it seems to still be the case as well after this issue.

Ryzen 9 7900x w/ LIAN LI Galahad 240  +   MSI RTX 3060
32GB @ 4800 mhz Corsair Vengeance + ASUS TUF X670e-PLUS

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

14 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

Looks like your thermal interface material is the issue, not bent pins. I'd reapply paste and make sure your cooler is well secured.

so it cannot really be a cpu problem you say? It's more the cooling

Ryzen 9 7900x w/ LIAN LI Galahad 240  +   MSI RTX 3060
32GB @ 4800 mhz Corsair Vengeance + ASUS TUF X670e-PLUS

Seasonic Focus+ 750w

Just now, kriptcs said:

so it cannot really be a cpu problem you say? It's more the cooling

Could be either but If you re-apply the Thermal paste it will help eliminate possible causes.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn