Alternative when missing IO shield?

Hello!

I bought a mobo on my countrys equivalent to craigslist, but there is no IO shield. Is there any suggestion as what to do instead of overpaying for one on ebay?

I know an alternative is to just not have one, but ive heard stuff about dust, electromagnetic discharge, etc... Might be bogus but I'm happy for input and suggestions

Dust will always remain an issue. IO shield might make it less horrible. Never heard of this "electromegnetic discharge" stuffs.

I myself would be going without an IO shield. And if case airflow demanded it, maybe play with a bit of cardboard.

No IO shield is an option.

You can also make one yourself, tape is janky but easy and effective.  Just seal up the gaps. 

Tape, cardboard, an old Tupperware container?

A makeshift one might not be pretty but it'd get the job done. 

Someone told Luke and Linus at CES 2017 to "Unban the legend known as Jerakl" and that's about all I've got going for me. (It didn't work)

7 hours ago, Jerakl said:

Tape, cardboard, an old Tupperware container?

A makeshift one might not be pretty but it'd get the job done. 

I agree with this, just get whatever is non-conductive and flat. Cut your own.

I wonder if the motherboard manufacturers can send you one (or buy one) if you call. Worth a try. Would love to know, might help others too.

4 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

I wonder if the motherboard manufacturers can send you one (or buy one) if you call. Worth a try. Would love to know, might help others too.

I'll give it a shot for science, its an almost 10 year old MB but worth a try

On 1/12/2023 at 11:05 PM, ArcticApe said:

Hello!

I bought a mobo on my countrys equivalent to craigslist, but there is no IO shield. Is there any suggestion as what to do instead of overpaying for one on ebay?

I know an alternative is to just not have one, but ive heard stuff about dust, electromagnetic discharge, etc... Might be bogus but I'm happy for input and suggestions

I once used this kinda stuff as an IO shield :
https://www.amazon.com/Thickness-Polystyrene-Signboard-Presentations-Projects/dp/B081RPX67X/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=foam+board&qid=1673639846&sprefix=foam%2Caps%2C674&sr=8-2

Used either the 2mm or 3mm thickness one, made the layout of my motherboard I/O on paper, then cut the foam accordingly.
After that I wrapped the foam with aluminum tape (to prevent it's edges getting chipped or nicked by I/O ports).

The DIY I/O shield lasted until I upgraded PC, so around 3 years. I still have it in my pc parts storebox.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

20 hours ago, ArcticApe said:

I'll give it a shot for science, its an almost 10 year old MB but worth a try

You could make one out of cardboard maybe ?