Is there any way to run any windows application at lower resolution then native res?

subm16

Hello, I am currently experiencing issues with certain applications running on my 4K monitor. I would like to set these apps to default to 1080p or 1440p resolution. I understand that this may result in a decrease in image quality, but it is a compromise I am willing to make. The specific issue I am facing is with the Teradici client, which I use to connect to my office system. When running on a 4K resolution, my internet connection between my home and office is quite slow. However, at 1080p resolution, it runs smoothly at 60fps. Can anyone provide assistance in resolving this issue?

i found this solution on internet but i dont know how to use it

https://www.tenforums.com/software-apps/71143-how-can-i-change-resolution-specific-program.html#:~:text=Hi%2C you could,a quick idea

You generally can't run individual apps at a different resolution from what your monitor is running at. The exception would be full screen applications (e.g. games) that change the resolution of the monitor as a whole.

If Teradici can run in full screen, you may be able to select a different resolution, similar to how Remote Desktop (RDP) can do it. Check its settings, maybe it can transmit with a reduced color depth or supports some form of compression.

~edit: Maybe look at this another way: Any non-fullscreen desktop app already runs at a different resolution from your monitor. E.g. open Notepad and drag & drop its window to be 10 x 10 pixels in size. If only that window is transmitted remotely it shouldn't require much bandwidth. It'll simply be quite small on a 4K monitor. You can "change its resolution" by increasing or decreasing the size of its window.

I assume what you actually want is to make the window a small size, then change its scaling to e.g. 150% so you can actually work with it. As far as I know you can't change the scaling per app only for the Windows desktop as a whole.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

I don't understand, you want to run a remote desktop application at 1080p/1440p instead of 4k? 

The remote PC resolutions is 4k as well? 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

23 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

I don't understand, you want to run a remote desktop application at 1080p/1440p instead of 4k? 

The remote PC resolutions is 4k as well? 

yes i am using remote desktop like application called Teradici https://docs.teradici.com/find/product/software-and-mobile-clients

but it doesnt have any control to change custom resolution/settings it dynamically changes resolution of remote pc according to my teradici window size at my home windows pc. currently what i am doing is i am changing my 4k monitor res to 2k from nvidia control panel. but it reduce overall monitor resolution i need switch between 4k and 2k everytime i connect to remote pc. thats why i am looking for solution to only reduce resolution of teradici. hope you understand

1 hour ago, Eigenvektor said:

You generally can't run individual apps at a different resolution from what your monitor is running at. The exception would be full screen applications (e.g. games) that change the resolution of the monitor as a whole.

If Teradici can run in full screen, you may be able to select a different resolution, similar to how Remote Desktop (RDP) can do it. Check its settings, maybe it can transmit with a reduced color depth or supports some form of compression.

~edit: Maybe look at this another way: Any non-fullscreen desktop app already runs at a different resolution from your monitor. E.g. open Notepad and drag & drop its window to be 10 x 10 pixels in size. If only that window is transmitted remotely it shouldn't require much bandwidth. It'll simply be quite small on a 4K monitor. You can "change its resolution" by increasing or decreasing the size of its window.

I assume what you actually want is to make the window a small size, then change its scaling to e.g. 150% so you can actually work with it. As far as I know you can't change the scaling per app only for the Windows desktop as a whole.

Hi Eigenvektor, yes when i reduce size of teradici window at my home pc it also dynamically reduce resolution of remote pc. i want that app run on less pixels so that i can stream remote pc at 60fps smoothly.

ui scalling in windows will not work as it will just upscale windows text and ui but i will not affect incoming video stream from teradici i have tried it. it doesnt work. thanks for responding 

btw i am 1000+kms away from remote pc 

11 hours ago, subm16 said:

Hi Eigenvektor, yes when i reduce size of teradici window at my home pc it also dynamically reduce resolution of remote pc. i want that app run on less pixels so that i can stream remote pc at 60fps smoothly.

That's something the Teradici client would need to support. You'd need to be able to configure it to run the remote machine with a fixed resolution, regardless of the size of your local window. Software like Remote Desktop can do this to my knowledge. I haven't been able to find anything for Teradici.

Remember to either quote or @mention others, so they are notified of your reply

Why don't you just set your monitor resolution to 1080p? i don't understand...

it scales perfectly on a 4k screen. 

sure, you'll lose 4k resolution (big deal?) but it would also solve your issue since you already tested with 1080p and found no issues 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

19 hours ago, Eigenvektor said:

That's something the Teradici client would need to support. You'd need to be able to configure it to run the remote machine with a fixed resolution, regardless of the size of your local window. Software like Remote Desktop can do this to my knowledge. I haven't been able to find anything for Teradici.

i think i need raise ticket with teradici on this issue. they might update their app who knows😄

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

Why don't you just set your monitor resolution to 1080p? i don't understand...

it scales perfectly on a 4k screen. 

sure, you'll lose 4k resolution (big deal?) but it would also solve your issue since you already tested with 1080p and found no issues 

yes currently i have set my resolution 1440p from nvidia panel but issue is whenever i am done with office work i need to again switch resolution to 4k. otherwise this is working fine for me.

On 1/12/2023 at 2:10 PM, subm16 said:

but it doesnt have any control to change custom resolution/settings it dynamically changes resolution of remote pc according to my teradici window size at my home windows pc. currently what i am doing is i am changing my 4k monitor res to 2k from nvidia control panel. but it reduce overall monitor resolution i need switch between 4k and 2k everytime i connect to remote pc. thats why i am looking for solution to only reduce resolution of teradici. hope you understand

Even if the source is not at 4K? That a weird feature.. 

Also have you try Performance mode in Settings? 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

On 1/12/2023 at 12:28 AM, subm16 said:

ui scalling in windows will not work as it will just upscale windows text and ui but i will not affect incoming video stream from teradici i have tried it. it doesnt work. thanks for responding 

There should be a setting in compatibility properties to make the window get blown up like a picture instead of DPI scaled up. It'll be blurry, but at least it'll be the right size and your local desktop will still be 4K. 

lumpy chunks

Expand to help Bunny reach world domination

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to
(")_(") help him on his way to world domination.

-Rakshit Jain