i9-10900k OC

I have ample cooling. The OC I have now is 40 degrees below cap under load. Im using XTU and cant seem to get this stable above the point i have it rn.

All core 5.1ghz

Core voltage mode is on adaptive,

Core voltage 1.4v

No core offset

AVX2 Ratio Offset 1.0X (avx2 benchmark causes bsod with this)

Turbo Boost Power Time Window 1 second. (keeps changing to 51 for some reason though.)

No Intel Thermal Velocity Boost

Stock CPU cache settings. It seems stable yet unstable at the same time and i have no idea why. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. If any more info is needed I can supply 🙂

Just want to get the absolute max performance out of this cpu. I have no power or thermal limitations (as of the moment.) I want to *try* and hit 5.5 all core stable. but if that isn't as realistic as I've read online, any boost helps 🙂

Gaming PC:                                        Server PC:                                         Streaming PC:

Processors:        i9-10900k                                          i5-9600k                                             i7-5820k

Motherboards:    ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-E               ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E                ASUS ROG STRIX X99

RAM:                  Gskill TridentZ 32 GB @3500mhz    Gskill TridentZ 32 GB @3500mhz      Gskill TridentZ 32 GB @3500mhz

GPU:                  MSI RTX 3080ti                                 Asus ROG 1050ti                               Asus ROG 1060 OC

SSD:                  Samsung 980 Pro                             Samsung 960 Evo                              Samsung 960 Evo

PSU:                  ROG Thor 1200W                             ROG Thor 850W                                 ROG Thor 850W

CPU Cooler:      Corsair hardline                                 Corsair hardline                                  Corsair hardline

Case:                 Custom                                              Custom                                               Custom

9 hours ago, Yacovrex said:

I have ample cooling. The OC I have now is 40 degrees below cap under load. Im using XTU and cant seem to get this stable above the point i have it rn.

All core 5.1ghz

Core voltage mode is on adaptive,

Core voltage 1.4v

No core offset

AVX2 Ratio Offset 1.0X (avx2 benchmark causes bsod with this)

Turbo Boost Power Time Window 1 second. (keeps changing to 51 for some reason though.)

No Intel Thermal Velocity Boost

Stock CPU cache settings. It seems stable yet unstable at the same time and i have no idea why. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. If any more info is needed I can supply 🙂

Just want to get the absolute max performance out of this cpu. I have no power or thermal limitations (as of the moment.) I want to *try* and hit 5.5 all core stable. but if that isn't as realistic as I've read online, any boost helps 🙂

Why do you have your turbo boost time window set to 1 second? The default might be 51s for your motherboard, I'd just leave it there and instead bump up the long term boost power, that's what I did with my i7-9700. It can boost to 190W max for 56s, (although I can "only" get it to 170W in prime95), then per default, it would go down to 75W but I just put that up to some random value above 140W, basically whatever I get I set lol because my cooler can handle it and even durign a CPU intensive game, it'll only ever spike to 110W at most

ill keep it at stock turbo the mobo sets i have cstates off too i forgot to mention

Gaming PC:                                        Server PC:                                         Streaming PC:

Processors:        i9-10900k                                          i5-9600k                                             i7-5820k

Motherboards:    ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-E               ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E                ASUS ROG STRIX X99

RAM:                  Gskill TridentZ 32 GB @3500mhz    Gskill TridentZ 32 GB @3500mhz      Gskill TridentZ 32 GB @3500mhz

GPU:                  MSI RTX 3080ti                                 Asus ROG 1050ti                               Asus ROG 1060 OC

SSD:                  Samsung 980 Pro                             Samsung 960 Evo                              Samsung 960 Evo

PSU:                  ROG Thor 1200W                             ROG Thor 850W                                 ROG Thor 850W

CPU Cooler:      Corsair hardline                                 Corsair hardline                                  Corsair hardline

Case:                 Custom                                              Custom                                               Custom

It really depends on your cooling solution

5.5GHz on all cores on a 10900k is pretty much impossible unless you have a custom loop and the best silicon possible

My 10900K can run at 5.2GHz on all cores with a 1.4-1.42 voltage if I remember correctly

Currently running on 5.1GHz across all 10 cores since my cooler cant handle 10 cores on 5.2GHz and it really degrades the silicon

so

core - 51

ring - 46 (if I remember correctly, the best range for comet lake is 0.3GHz for those to clocks)

Avx offset is 0

Voltage is at between 1.375

LLC is set to turbo

Cooler is a Corsair H100x - pretty old and "basic" but it does hold it below 75c (if its cpu bound game)

If not then it sits comfortably at 55-60c

Idle is around 30-35c

You can try to play with vccio and vccsa to help stabilize it

Is your ram in 2 sticks or 4?

4 can cause a bit more stress on the cpu's MC (that's why when trying to get an OC highscore they always use 2 sticks)

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

8 hours ago, HardStroke said:

It really depends on your cooling solution

5.5GHz on all cores on a 10900k is pretty much impossible unless you have a custom loop and the best silicon possible

My 10900K can run at 5.2GHz on all cores with a 1.4-1.42 voltage if I remember correctly

Currently running on 5.1GHz across all 10 cores since my cooler cant handle 10 cores on 5.2GHz and it really degrades the silicon

so

core - 51

ring - 46 (if I remember correctly, the best range for comet lake is 0.3GHz for those to clocks)

Avx offset is 0

Voltage is at between 1.375

LLC is set to turbo

Cooler is a Corsair H100x - pretty old and "basic" but it does hold it below 75c (if its cpu bound game)

If not then it sits comfortably at 55-60c

Idle is around 30-35c

You can try to play with vccio and vccsa to help stabilize it

Is your ram in 2 sticks or 4?

4 can cause a bit more stress on the cpu's MC (that's why when trying to get an OC highscore they always use 2 sticks)

4 sticks, im hardline water cooled and temps are a non issue even under load. ill fiddle around with voltages. what should i keep as the upper limit? the 1.4v? or lower?

12 hours ago, Yacovrex said:

4 sticks, im hardline water cooled and temps are a non issue even under load. ill fiddle around with voltages. what should i keep as the upper limit? the 1.4v? or lower?

With a custom loop you can push it a bit further

My limit is 1.43-1.435

Above that the silicon will degrade really quick so its not worth that little performance boost

Why are you overclocking? What are you trying to achieve? 

"I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times." - Bruce Lee

On 1/14/2023 at 6:19 AM, HardStroke said:

With a custom loop you can push it a bit further

My limit is 1.43-1.435

Above that the silicon will degrade really quick so its not worth that little performance boost

Why are you overclocking? What are you trying to achieve? 

For the most part, just to squeeze out as much performance as possible without massive amounts of chip degradation. all the things i do are cpu intensive and so everything matters in terms of performance even if its small until i upgrade and start the cycle again

9 hours ago, Yacovrex said:

For the most part, just to squeeze out as much performance as possible without massive amounts of chip degradation. all the things i do are cpu intensive and so everything matters in terms of performance even if its small until i upgrade and start the cycle again

I really don't see a reason to upgrade from a 10900K

This cpu can handle every task you throw at it

10 cores is more then enough 99% of the time

Actually to this day it still is the only (Mainstream) cpu with the most amount of physical cores (Without that e cores shit that 12th and 13th gen have)

5GHz is easily achievable with low voltage

Keep in mind that OC wont really skyrocket your performance like crazy but its a nice little boost

If the 10900K is not enough you can always get a new cpu+mobo combo

Although you will have to buy a different cpu block since LGA1700 has different mounting points

It also depends on your country. if you live in a country where pc parts are way more expensive then it can be a pain in the ass

Where are you from? what prices are like there?

On 1/15/2023 at 4:25 PM, HardStroke said:

I really don't see a reason to upgrade from a 10900K

This cpu can handle every task you throw at it

10 cores is more then enough 99% of the time

Actually to this day it still is the only (Mainstream) cpu with the most amount of physical cores (Without that e cores shit that 12th and 13th gen have)

5GHz is easily achievable with low voltage

Keep in mind that OC wont really skyrocket your performance like crazy but its a nice little boost

If the 10900K is not enough you can always get a new cpu+mobo combo

Although you will have to buy a different cpu block since LGA1700 has different mounting points

It also depends on your country. if you live in a country where pc parts are way more expensive then it can be a pain in the ass

Where are you from? what prices are like there?

I like to push the limits even when its diminishing returns. I guess its a hobby of mine to a huge degree. I'm in the states (NJ) so I have access to microcenter and reasonable prices to a degree. My cpu runs everything fine, but I want to see how far I can push it in terms of gains. I race cars as well and when i race, ill make changes for sometimes 1-5 HP in a 3k HP engine just cause I can. I do the same with my pc and complete PC rig. I got 5.1ghz all core stable except when running an AVX/ AVX2 test where i bsod. dont know why. Day to day use and all programs except those work fine. If anyone here is interested what I'm working on and what my current setup is looking like ill make a post and put the link here. I think its a cool project but I'm working on it as we speak so its unfinished. I have resources to make it happen so I'm not concerned all I need is time.

• 5 months later...

Using MSI MEG Z490 UNIFY, Noctua DH15, I9-10900K, 3090 Kingpin, 32 GB Ram (2x16, @ 4133MHz, Ripjaws CL18)

The i9-10900K @ 5.2 Ghz all ten cores @ 1.375 V.

Does everything. No hiccups, no bsod, nothing.  Just wonderful. My brother set me up. (I've been in the tech business for 30 years but I did not know the finer details of OC. I have a nvme (2TB) just for this version of windows "Kernel Win 10 OS". It's stripped down to nothing and using a custom power plan.

This thing is a beast.  Gaming at 1440p Ultra everything at very, very low latency.

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/95885936

06192023.jpg

06192023gpx.jpg

06192023mem.jpg

2bae6189-c82f-44f8-a6f6-20422a2749c5.jpg

result.html

00ce846e-a833-4d7d-a57b-63b72610e5c0.jpg