RX 6800 XT Red Devil or 3070 ti ?

surferjsmc

Hi all!

Prices for new generation GPUs are crazy and we all know they are not coming down so i believe it is time to retire mi good old EVGA GTX 970 SSC and go for a previous gen card.

The thing is right now i can get either a 6800 XT Red Devil for 650€ or a nno3D GeForce RTX 3070 Ti X3 V2 OC for 630€, please note 4070 ti starts around 1000€ and the cheapest RX 7900 XT is 1100€.

My gut tells me to go for the 6800 XT (and benchmarks too 😄) but thinking about ray tracing and all the other NVIDIA enhancements makes me wonder if i should keep on the green lane.

I have a 32" G-SYNC 1440p currently running @144 Hz that can push 165 Hz. CPU bottleneck is unavoidable right now because of my old i7 7700K but that will be upgraded later on this year. 

i wouldn't just get nvidia for raytracing but if you're also interested in recording/ editing, the different upscaling and downscaling solutions then nvidia does make more sense.

if it's more the performance what you're after the amd might make more sense.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Editing is something i'll not do anytime soon or at all, but GPU passthrough for VMs seems to be very tricky with AMD GPUs. 

17 minutes ago, surferjsmc said:

Editing is something i'll not do anytime soon or at all, but GPU passthrough for VMs seems to be very tricky with AMD GPUs. 

yeah, overall nvidia just has more features and probably is better integrated into windows,  on the other hand amd seems to have the edge in Linux.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I wish we knew prices for RX 7800 series to avoid buying something and realize that for a little more money i could get a new gen card instead but i don't think they will be selling them for less than 900€ which is very expensive.

10 minutes ago, surferjsmc said:

I wish we knew prices for RX 7800 series to avoid buying something and realize that for a little more money i could get a new gen card instead but i don't think they will be selling them for less than 900€ which is very expensive.

Yeah, the 4070ti at $800 is just acceptable, and yes, it is VERY fast, 12GB of VRAM for a $K GPU seems lackluster considering the 6700xt and 3060 also have 12GB, and the 4070ti costs twice as much.  I'm actually shocked nVidia didn't go with 16GB on it.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.