Does this motherboard support M.2 SSDs?

Go to solution Solved by Blue4130,
17 minutes ago, SonOfDita said:

Hi everyone,

Not sure if here it's the right spot to post this, I'm guessing it is.

So, I recently bought a 2nd-hand motherboard, an Intel DQ77MK and it has this connector that looks just like M.2, and the Intel website is unhelpful as far as I can read to confirm this.

I was wondering if it actually is an M.2 slot, since it says PCIe FMC but the only thing I can find online about it is some weird server cards, so it doesn't tell me anything. I would just test with a M.2 directly but I don't have one at hand, I wanted to make sure first before buying one.

The port is right there on the lower right corner, just alongside the SATA ports.

If you have this motherboard and have used the port or know exactly what it is used for I'd be really grateful for your help.

Thanks!

s-l1600.jpg

That's mini PCI-e, not the same as m.2 despite the similar look.

https://www.assured-systems.com/us/news/article/what-are-mini-pci-express-mpcie-cards/

Here are some things that you can use it for.

Hi everyone,

So, I recently bought a 2nd-hand motherboard, an Intel DQ77MK and it has this connector that looks just like M.2, and the Intel website is unhelpful as far as I can read to confirm this.

I was wondering if it actually is an M.2 slot, since it says PCIe FMC but the only thing I can find online about it is some weird server cards, so it doesn't tell me anything. I would just test with a M.2 directly but I don't have one at hand, I wanted to make sure first before buying one.

The port is right there on the lower right corner, just alongside the SATA ports.

If you have this motherboard and have used the port or know exactly what it is used for I'd be really grateful for your help.

Thanks!

s-l1600.jpg

30 minutes ago, SonOfDita said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

Bottom right looks like an MSATA port, I don't see an M.2 slot on it.

EDIT: Probably MiniPCIe as stated here below, my bad.

I also don't see any M.2 slot. 

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

17 minutes ago, SonOfDita said:

Hi everyone,

Thanks!

s-l1600.jpg

That's mini PCI-e, not the same as m.2 despite the similar look.

https://www.assured-systems.com/us/news/article/what-are-mini-pci-express-mpcie-cards/

Here are some things that you can use it for.

Given this board came out 1-2 years before the first boards with M.2 slots on them (Z97, and even then these were rare with M.2 slots) and Intel's first party support for BIOS updates, I'd confidently say this board wouldn't support M.2 drives, either native or through an adapter card. 

Thanks a lot everyone for the clarifications. Guess I'm out of luck for an M.2 SSD. Sad because I already filled up all the SATA ports.

3 hours ago, SonOfDita said:

Thanks a lot everyone for the clarifications. Guess I'm out of luck for an M.2 SSD. Sad because I already filled up all the SATA ports.

Use a PCIe to sata adapter if the lower slot is free.