Cloning from HDD to SDD

Go to solution Solved by SHORTY-NI,

Incase anyone sees this and wonders about it working..  it does work if you install windows on a cloned disk, just make sure to back up everything before you do it and recover your back up once it's installed. An issue would be having to get all your shortcuts back on home and redoing a few settings involving your display etc 

I am cloning my boot HDD to a new SSD, from what I can see you have to pay to clone partitions and can only clone disk for free. Can I clone the disk and then install Windows on the SSD from a USB and then put in my product key? And then format the HDD as a back up drive. Would this cause any issues etc? Thanks 

if youre cloning the disk you don't need to install windows...... its a clone

20 minutes ago, emosun said:

if youre cloning the disk you don't need to install windows...... its a clone

But its not cloning the partitions and all that. I'm new to all this so I dont really understand it but I have cloned it and tried to boot from the SSD and it doesn't work, so I thought maybe I had to re install Windows from a USB to make it bootable..  or am I just being an idiot? 

2 hours ago, emosun said:

What are you using to clone the disk

I was trying a few different softwares like Aomei backupper and Samsungs migration tool, but I tried my idea of installing windows on the cloned drive and it worked, I just had to restore from a back up I made before I started messing about with it all. Thanks anyway.

Incase anyone sees this and wonders about it working..  it does work if you install windows on a cloned disk, just make sure to back up everything before you do it and recover your back up once it's installed. An issue would be having to get all your shortcuts back on home and redoing a few settings involving your display etc