Good RAM to mix with Crucial Ballistix

Hello all,

I've built my PC about 2 years ago and opted for 16 GB of RAM (2x 8GB), going for Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600 CL16 which fits well with my 5600x as well as my aesthetic (black - white build).

I now have a need of more RAM and decided to buy another kit of same RAM and ... I can't find it anywhere. Seriously, this specific RAM just doesn't exist anywhere in EU. 

What are my options? Should I try to find something as close as possible? Something faster? Or should I swap it out completely. I know mix and match of RAM is not a great idea but I still want some suggestions.

You might be able to buy some of the same RAM used. Longevety usually isn't a concern with RAM (A few manufacturers offer lifetime warranties), but finding your specific model might be difficult and you'd still be mixing and matching. That said, I wouldn't worry about m&m too much, as it shouldn't make a huge difference if you can clock the kits the same (at least from my limited experience in m&ming DDR3 and 4).

Selling your RAM and buying a bigger kit would probably be the safest option, but also means more effort for you.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

Mixing and matching can cause apps to crash or your PC to bluescreen altogether.

It's not just a theoretical "it can happen", it will happen.

If you're mixing, at least make sure that the capacity and rated speed is the same.

NZXT S340 | Ryzen 7 5900X | B550 AORUS PRO V2 | TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200 | RTX 4070
Nintendo Switch (2x), Nintendo *New* 3DS, PSP-1000, PSP-2000 (Crisis Core Limited Edition)

MacBook Pro 14 (2021), 16GB RAM, 512GB ROM

9 minutes ago, FliP0x said:

Mixing and matching can cause apps to crash or your PC to bluescreen altogether.

It's not just a theoretical "it can happen", it will happen.

If you're mixing, at least make sure that the capacity and rated speed is the same.

Mixing wont necessarily cause BSODs or crashes, but the more high end the memory, higher the risk of it. But mixing high end RAM with low end RAM should in theory not be a problem because after memory training, the motherboard will default the fast RAM to the slow RAM, it won't try and run both sticks at different RAM speeds. 

But yes, it is best to find matching RAM - absolutely true. And if you wanna be 100% sure of stability, you need to buy a kit with 4 sticks because these 4 sticks would then have been tested together in production. 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

i have mixed and match ram before and even tho they are the sam speed(3200) the best i can run them at now without oc is 2666.

made a post about it few hours ago

40 minutes ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Mixing wont necessarily cause BSODs or crashes, but the more high end the memory, higher the risk of it. But mixing high end RAM with low end RAM should in theory not be a problem because after memory training, the motherboard will default the fast RAM to the slow RAM, it won't try and run both sticks at different RAM speeds. 

But yes, it is best to find matching RAM - absolutely true. And if you wanna be 100% sure of stability, you need to buy a kit with 4 sticks because these 4 sticks would then have been tested together in production. 

In theory yes, but I am typing this on a machine with mixed RAM right now and I can tell you, it's not a pleasant experience.

Apps are randomly crashing or stop working, BSODs due to memory management are rare, but can happen. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

NZXT S340 | Ryzen 7 5900X | B550 AORUS PRO V2 | TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200 | RTX 4070
Nintendo Switch (2x), Nintendo *New* 3DS, PSP-1000, PSP-2000 (Crisis Core Limited Edition)

MacBook Pro 14 (2021), 16GB RAM, 512GB ROM

I've very often used mixed kits, just have to negotiate speeds and timings in BIOS and everything works flawless then.

Mixed kits might need a bit tinkering, but I've never had incompatible kits. And I've had 10+ kits in recent years.

I edit my posts more often than not

6 minutes ago, FliP0x said:

In theory yes, but I am typing this on a machine with mixed RAM right now and I can tell you, it's not a pleasant experience.

Apps are randomly crashing or stop working, BSODs due to memory management are rare, but can happen. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone.

I have mixed a lot of RAM before without issues, and I have mates with PCs using mixed RAM, also without any issues. 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

Samsung Odyssey Neo G7 32"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

It could go either way, smooth sailing or endless problems.. it depends on your luck 😄

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL-B12, 2x TL-K12
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X
Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact, 2x TL-B14