Razer Spain RMA asks me to "destoy" my headphones so they can send me new ones

blue_alien_bg
3 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Oh christ... Now I'm scared of going to the EU. 😅

honestly it probably depends on country, like the rules apply to all but how it's enforced differs...

so if you have a "rule enforcement happy" government (like we do here) then good luck! ~

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

• 4 months later...
On 12/30/2022 at 1:23 PM, blue_alien_bg said:

Hello!

I bought Barracuda X headphones in March and a couple of weeks after that I noticed a crack on one of the plastic peaces, nothing major and it was on a cosmetic part, no structural problems.

A few weeks ago the crack opened completely and a peace of plastic fell off, no problem with that either, the headphones are still covered be the warranty.

I contacted Razer Spain, explained the problem, sent photos and they concluded that in fact it is a defect.

What struck me as really odd is that the next message instructed me to essentially "destroy" the device.

Depending on the type of device there were instructions to remove the serial number and cut it in half, or to cut the cable with scissors and in the case of a certain product even break it in half.

They even insisted on me cutting the charging cable, having in mind that these headphones can charge with any USB C cable.

Last year my girlfriend had a cosmetic problem with a Razer Kraken wired headphones and they made her send it before sending her the new ones.

I understand that they don't want you to sell the product that is supposed to be defective or try to RMA it again, but in my case the problem is only cosmetic.

The device works perfectly! Why create more electronic waste?! It can be repaired!!! IT'S ONLY A BROKEN PLASTIC PEACE!!!

And if they care so little about the device, why bother?!

Am I the only one getting triggered by this?

Does anyone else find this policy completely stupid?

Are there more companies that do this?

Should we just accept it? (I don't want to)

I'm a bit late to this topic but Razer UK have asked my girlfriend to do the exact same thing for the exact same headphone with the exact same defect! 

I genuinely could not believe what they are asking her to do. In our case, they have only instructed us to destroy the optional 3.5mm cable that came with the headset. Something that is easily replaceable and would not prevent resell anyway. 

I really don't want to cave in and break something for no reason. I would rather see Razer take back the item then referbish it - anything which isn't creating e-waste. This policy seems so tone deaf. 

What did you do in the end? 

This happens a 

9 hours ago, Telescuffle said:

I'm a bit late to this topic but Razer UK have asked my girlfriend to do the exact same thing for the exact same headphone with the exact same defect! 

I genuinely could not believe what they are asking her to do. In our case, they have only instructed us to destroy the optional 3.5mm cable that came with the headset. Something that is easily replaceable and would not prevent resell anyway. 

I really don't want to cave in and break something for no reason. I would rather see Razer take back the item then referbish it - anything which isn't creating e-waste. This policy seems so tone deaf. 

What did you do in the end? 

This happens a lot in other industries such as hobby statues.they ask you to destroy them to prevent reselling.  It's most likely not worth refurbishing the products and reselling due to the man hours it takes to actually diagnose and address the issues. It's cheaper to take the specific unit out of circulation. Almost all companies are about maximizing profit and refurbishing is probably less profitable than just getting them to destroy it. 

10 hours ago, rice guru said:

This happens a 

This happens a lot in other industries such as hobby statues.they ask you to destroy them to prevent reselling.  It's most likely not worth refurbishing the products and reselling due to the man hours it takes to actually diagnose and address the issues. It's cheaper to take the specific unit out of circulation. Almost all companies are about maximizing profit and refurbishing is probably less profitable than just getting them to destroy it. 

Be that as it may, it doesn't make it right on the dint that others do it. As a leader in the industry, I would actually expect Razer to be better than smaller companies. 

There is a reason the first of the 3 R's is Reduce and Razer should be doing their part. Also it's not like we still don't have the option to send back the item instead. As far as I can tell, the option is either return the item or break it yourself. 

Finally, as I have already established what they have instructed us to do would not prevent reselling. So where is the common sense? 

3 minutes ago, Telescuffle said:

Be that as it may, it doesn't make it right on the dint that others do it. As a leader in the industry, I would actually expect Razer to be better than smaller companies. 

There is a reason the first of the 3 R's is Reduce and Razer should be doing their part. Also it's not like we still don't have the option to send back the item instead. As far as I can tell, the option is either return the item or break it yourself. 

Finally, as I have already established what they have instructed us to do would not prevent reselling. So where is the common sense? 

Often when they ask you to destroy a product they often want proof either a video or a picture of you destroying the product before sending you the replacement. This is what I've seen and done in the figure/statue hobby.  Again razer even though their color is green does not care about the environment.regardless of what they say if they did they wouldn't be making their products that is waste out of the factory. Jokes aside .  If you dont like it don't buy their products easy as that. But something more sustainable something easier to fix on your own plenty of products especially in headphones that do just that.