RPCS 3 only uses CPU

kitnoman

So this is actually more of a steam deck thing. But I got RPCS 3 both on steam deck and my PC. I don't get the issue with my pc, probably because of the hardware. But how do I "fix" the issue when the gpu is not being fully utilized by a specific game? I'm trying to run Fight night champion and it does, strugglingly. It uses the full 8threads but gpu is only at 200mhz on steam deck. This is not happening on other ps3 games. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Im not sure how you do it, but the steam deck cpu is far too weak for ps3 emulation, you're probably extremely cpu bound but as said i don't understand how ps3 games can be playable at all with this hardware 

Edit: oh ok i looked it up, apparently the deck can play some ps3 games, which is surprising considering the weak cpu, but of course its not going to play all games well. did you look in the rpcs3 wiki if its a compatible game and maybe for some settings suggestions? 

And also gpu not boosting seems really normal to me, most of the time gpu isnt boosting much or at all for me in rpcs3, its actually like other emus, highly cpu intensive.

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I actually just read it as well. It seems rpcs3 is a very cpu incentive emulator. It barely use the gpu really, That's probably why other handheld like those with 6800u performs way better with emulation, since, it has a much more powerful cpu. But yes, some ps3 games run perfectly.

On 12/31/2022 at 7:18 AM, kitnoman said:

I actually just read it as well. It seems rpcs3 is a very cpu incentive emulator. It barely use the gpu really, That's probably why other handheld like those with 6800u performs way better with emulation, since, it has a much more powerful cpu. But yes, some ps3 games run perfectly.

yeah that's because all the emulation stuff happens on the cpu, the gpu literally just does the graphics which aren't demanded at all for current even low end or ipgus. its a wonder they got it running as good as it does considering the CELL architecture. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity