Corsair RM Series Review (specifically RM-550)

xox

Hello, forum

Just popping in to give my two cents on the RM series from Corsair.

Firstly, the thing produces no noise, like actually no noise. Even when folding, having everything on maximum, the fan in the power supply has never actually spun up. I'm not sure whether the fan works or not, however, the quietness is just immense.

Apart from the obvious other advantage, which is that it does it's job, I guess I actually can't think of anything else as a positive.

Negatives:

• The cables are shit - Whoever thought of flat cables deserves genuinely to be shot in front of their family. The cables are way too difficult to get around bends and to cable manage. I just gave up because they are simply abysmal.
  • The cables are too short - I could barely get the cables to my graphics card, it was so bad. I eventually gave up trying to cable manage just because they simply don't give you the real estate to do anything with them, such as make them look nice, or at least acceptable.
  • I wish the fan would spin on start-up just to tell me that the damn thing works. That would give me peace of mind.
  • Corsair Link is terrible - It doesn't work without an extra adapter which you have to buy and even then, it will only tell you the temperature and the fan speed. If you are going to advertise that it has Corsair Link, at least make it a decent piece of software.

Well, that's all, Buy SeaSonic power supplies instead.

Compatible with Windows 95

what case have you put the power supply in?

My PC Specs:          CPU: i5 4690k(stock speed of 3.50GHz)          GPU: MSI GTX 770 4GB          Storage: WD Blue 1TB HDD and 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD             Ram: 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600MHz           Motherboard: Z97 Asus Maximus VII Ranger          PSU: Corsair RM650 650W          CPU Cooler: Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO                    Case: Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl with window         OS: Windows 10 Pro                                

what case have you put the power supply in?

Modded Powermac G5 Case

I agree that the cables are so stiff they are a pain, but I can hardly imagine it being too short. i had at least close to 15cm of slack for my pcie cables that i had to tie up.

EDIT: i've never used corsair link before but doesn't it come with the cable? I know mine did

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

@tomlambert01

Good review. I agree with most of what you said. I never knew Corsair Link was compatible with the RM series. I agree that it should have a fan test on first power cycle. That would be great!  Flat cables are shit, I totally agree and their cables are too short. Even on the AX series, I can't get my 8 pin cable up to the port on the motherboard when running it behind the case. Not quite sure what features are available in Corsair link with the RM series. Maybe it's the same as AX...

Corsair 400R, i7 3770K @ 4.5GHz 16GB, Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz, Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H Motherboard, 240GB Samsung 840 Evo Sata III SSD, 2 x Asus GTX 780 Direct CU2 SLI, Corsair H100i and Corsair AX860i Platinum Power supply.

I agree that the cables are so stiff they are a pain, but I can hardly imagine it being too short. i had at least close to 15cm of slack for my pcie cables that i had to tie up.

I wish I had 10-15cm of slack on the PCI-e power connectors. Literally, the PCI-e connectors travel as the crow flies, they were too short, I ordered some extension cables because I would really like them to be somewhat cable managed.

I wish I had 10-15cm of slack on the PCI-e power connectors. Literally, the PCI-e connectors travel as the crow flies, they were too short, I ordered some extension cables because I would really like them to be somewhat cable managed.

pretty sure it comes with the corsair link cable tho, what adapter are you referring to?

i7-4790k | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | MX100 256gb     | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 White
G3258    | Asus Z97i-Plus     | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | 4 x 3TB WD Reds | Seidon 120XL | Silverstone SFX 600w Gold | Node 304 Black

i7-965EE | Rampage II Extreme | Kingston HyperX Fury 16gb | CM M2 700w | Sapphire Nitro 380 4GB

I like my RM 750 and the cables aren't THAT bad. They're not great but you can buy sleeved cables for it pretty cheap.

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

I like my RM 750 and the cables aren't THAT bad. They're not great but you can buy sleeved cables for it pretty cheap.

I have an rm750 too and though i agree the cables aren't deal breaking, at the price point the rm series is at, OP's opinion is pretty justifiable.  :P

It boils down to personal opinion tho

I have an rm750 too and though i agree the cables aren't deal breaking, at the price point the rm series is at, OP's opinion is pretty justifiable.  :P

It boils down to personal opinion tho

I got mine for $99.99 I think. Isn't that pretty price competitive? 

PC: 4770K @ 4.0 GHz --- Maximus VI Hero --- 8 GB 2133 MHz Corsair Vengeance Pro --- EVGA 780 TI Classified @ 1300 MHz --- Samsung Evo 250 GB --- Corsair RM 750 --- Corsair Carbide Air 540 --- CM Storm Rapid-I (MX Blues with PMK Evergreen Keycaps) --- Windows XP --- Razer Naga --- Custom Loop Parts: 380I, EKWB 780 Classy Waterblock and Backplate, 240mm and 360mm XT45, Swiftech MCP655, EKWB multi option reservoir, Mayhems Pastel Red, Primochill Primoflex Advanced Clear Tubing, 5 SP 120 Quiet Editions --- Mobile: Surface Pro 3 (i5 128gb) with JD40 (MX Clears) and Microsoft Sculpt Mouse --- Galaxy S6

I got mine for $99.99 I think. Isn't that pretty price competitive? 

O.o sounds like a great deal  :lol:

i got mine at around 170sgd = 130usd from a local store

O.o sounds like a great deal  :lol:

i got mine at around 170sgd = 130usd from a local store

It's $120 USD on Pcpartpicker right now. Maybe I payed more. Let me check my Amazon.

Edit: Got it for 114.98. My bad

As the owner of an RM650 I hate the thing. As a powersupply it's fine, but it was just a huge struggle working with. I switched to a 1300w Rosewill lightning I had lying around; that's how much I hate the thing. I couldn't make it look nice in my case, and was simply annoying.  

//ccap

The cables aren't THAT bad. 

No, they're worse. Absolutely horrific.

Gaming Rig - CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | COOLER: Stock | MOBO: Gigabye Z87 Gaming | GPU: Gigabye Geforce GTX 980 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB (16GB) 

I'm quite satisfied with my RM850.

Cables were long enough but quite stiff at the beginning (the more you bend them, the more flex they'll get).

I agree that the fan should make a selftest though I learned to live with it.

144Hz goodness