I think my computer blew itself up

CaseyHercules
Go to solution Solved by CaseyHercules,

KF!

Due to it being an Intel KF CPU, It would not boot unless a GPU is in the slot. Happened to have a duplicate due to some Amazon deal shenanigans that I was about to return. Plugged it in. It works like a charm. Looks like the GPU blew up...

Time to get my money back! Thanks y'all for the quick reply

Howdy y'all, looking for some help here. Or at least confirm my suspicions of what happened.

The short story is I just got back from a week long vacation and was very excited to spend the next two or three days playing some new video games. I just picked up the 'extremely demanding' game, "the forgotten City" /s. And was really excited to play it. When I booted up I noticed that my second monitor would be slowly flickering on and off. 3 to 5 seconds on 3 to 5 seconds off.

I was pretty sure this is an Nvidia driver issue, as my sound is also cutting out and I use my monitor to transmit sound to my shitty speakers.

I heard that my graphics card (3070 TI) was spinning up and seemed to be at Max fan speed, and checking the task manager performance pane, I saw that. My 3070 was at 100% utilization and was at 84° c.

I was like oh shit that's not good, kick the settings down and was confused on why this game was spiking my GPU.

The game after a minute, test to see if the GPU goes back down cools right back down. So I open it back up. Turn the settings down from Max to medium, See if that has maybe something to do with it. Put the game back up and again It would spike to 100%.

And as I was thinking huh, that doesn't seem right... I hear a low pop as everything goes quiet.

All fans stop, no lights turn on, do not Pass go, do not collect $200.

In taking apart and testing it, I believe the motherboard is completely fried. As nothing I can do can seem to get any lights to turn on the motherboard.

I built this computer around December 10th, was able to play it for a few weeks. Was using it regularly, had a small issue with my second screen flickering, It would turn off for 5 seconds and then be on for a couple minutes at a time, when I was playing Deep Rock Galactic.

Any advice on what went wrong or how I can verify that things are correct when I get a new motherboard?

Thanks y'all. Real bummer on the day. 

Intel I7-12700KF

Zotag Gaming 3070Ti

Corsair SF 750

ROG Strix B660-I gaming wifi LGA 1700 ITX motherboard

Crucial RAM 64GB Kit (2x32GB) DDR5 4800MHz CL40 Desktop Memory

ID-COOLING AURAFLOW X 240

WD_Black 2T SSD

Edited by CaseyHercules
Added parts list

Can you take a flashlight and look around the mobo for any signs of burning? Is there any burnt smell from anywhere? Especially around between the CPU socket and the IO panel. You probably have heatsinks there look at what you can and smell it. It is also possible that the PSU circuit protection tripped, did you try to let it sit without power for a while before turning it back on?

What are the first 8 numbers on the psu? In 2020 there was an recall of them (numbers from 194448xx to 201148xx). I doubt thats the issue, but doesnt hurt to check.
SF Series Voluntary Product Replacement - Build Hardware Troubleshooting -  Corsair Community

I'd test the GPU on another computer, or test a different GPU in the same computer. 
You may also want to try to swap out the PSU in case it's the culprit. (I would suspect this if you can't get ANY lights on the MoBo)
Corsair did publish a recall on the SF series and you should check to see if your serial number is covered. 

https://www.pcgamer.com/corsair-recalls-compact-sf-power-supplies-following-a-rash-of-failures/#:~:text=Corsair has issued a recall,cause the PSU to fail."

check your MoBo diagnostic lights and reference your motherboard manual to see what's keeping the Motherboard from booting if you can get any lights. 

We can't Benchmark like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to shove more GPUs in your computer. Like the time I needed to NV-Link, because I needed a higher HeavenBench score, so I did an SLI, which is what they called NV-Link back in the day. So, I decided to put two GPUs in my computer, which was the style at the time. Now, to add another GPU to your computer, costs a new PSU. Now in those days PSUs said OCZ on them, "Gimme 750W OCZs for an SLI" you'd say. Now where were we? Oh yeah, the important thing was that I had two GPUs in my rig, which was the style at the time! They didn't have RGB PSUs at the time, because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big green ones. 

KF!

Due to it being an Intel KF CPU, It would not boot unless a GPU is in the slot. Happened to have a duplicate due to some Amazon deal shenanigans that I was about to return. Plugged it in. It works like a charm. Looks like the GPU blew up...

Time to get my money back! Thanks y'all for the quick reply

16 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Can you take a flashlight and look around the mobo for any signs of burning? Is there any burnt smell from anywhere? Especially around between the CPU socket and the IO panel. You probably have heatsinks there look at what you can and smell it. It is also possible that the PSU circuit protection tripped, did you try to let it sit without power for a while before turning it back on?

There was no burnt smell and I did not see anything that was burned, I ended up solving it by realizing that I had a KF Intel CPU.