DIMM advice for AM4, freezes, QVL or not?

aDoomGuy

To QVL or not to QVL. 

Ryzen 7 5800X

Asus B550-E Gaming

Kingston Fury Beast 3200 2x16 KF432c16bb1k2/32 (old kit not on QVL)

Patriot Viper Steel 3200 2x16 PVS432G320C6K (new kit on QVL)

Asus TUF 6900XT Top

Corsair RMX 850

Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4

Phanteks P600S with 4 intake 140mm and two exhaust 140mm

I've been having problems with my PC ...and my old PC. At low CPU power states (idle, light use) the system would randomly freeze. Freezing would manifest at first as unable to close programs, at which point everything else seem to work. Opening start menu and trying to launch a program will seem to work but not launch it, after which the start menu becomes unusable (will open but not respond to user input). Opening Task Manager will sometimes result in a completely white window being opened or sometimes not at all. Ctrl+alt+del will open the screen but opening Task Manager from here will yield the same result as mentioned. Shut down/restart/log off buttons will not react to user input. Eventually the whole system will be frozen except the mouse. Mouse pointer will work. Strange and I can't seem to figure this out, possibly an issue with (some) AM4 B-series chipsets and maybe some power supplies.

I upgraded to this from my old PC. Heh before I knew it I had pretty much a whole new PC....

Ryzen 5 3600X

Asus B450-F Gaming

Kingston Fury Beast 3200 2x16 KF432c16bb1k2/32

Asus 2060 Super ROG

Corsair RMX 650

Old system is now with 2x8GB Kingston DIMMs and still seem to have the same problem.

RAM question here

Since I still have the same issue with what is pretty much a whole new build except for storage and RAM. I thought maybe I could fix the issue with RAM from my QVL and get some better DIMMS perhaps at the same time. Thinking that Patriot was more better than Kingston. I thought wrong. Oh how very wrong lol.

Well they ARE on my QVL ...kinda.. Listed with Hynix chips but this kit has Samsung (possible M-die) and RAM timings are so loose I wouldn't recommend marrying these DIMMS ever. Oh and did I mention they're single rank too. With regards to my above problem is it even remotely likely that RAM from QVL will fix it? For stabilty I'd take the performance hit which seem to be slightly above 1000 pts in CBr23. TRFC is over 800 according to XMP. Wonder why they even bothered to test this garbage... Anyway, got 14 days to return this ...RAM... I printed the return document already but before I sign it and send these ....things... back to wherever they came from I'll ...lets just say I'll be hoping for some advice. I dunno, if it is unlikely RAM is my problem.. I don't see a reason to keep this kit.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that freezes occured in Windows 10 and persists in Windows 11. Did not occur however when the old PC was new.....

Thanks for reading. 🙂 

My current kit was also not on the QVL last time I checked. I am running it hassle-free with my 5800X. You seem to have some sort of stability issue but I am not sure if the root cause is the rams or the shitty ram/timing training most AM4 boards do themselves.

What I would recommend is using one kit of ram, setting all the timings manually and see if that makes a difference.

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18

6 minutes ago, Levent said:

My current kit was also not on the QVL last time I checked. I am running it hassle-free with my 5800X. You seem to have some sort of stability issue but I am not sure if the root cause is the rams or the shitty ram/timing training most AM4 boards do themselves.

What I would recommend is using one kit of ram, setting all the timings manually and see if that makes a difference.

I'm using the Patriot kit right now, with XMP and manually set timings listed in the EEPROMs of the kit. Problem is that I can go a month without freezing or it could happen 3 times in a day. 

Mind me asking what chipset you got that's running hassle-free?

11 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

I'm using the Patriot kit right now, with XMP and manually set timings listed in the EEPROMs of the kit. Problem is that *I can go a month without freezing or it could happen 3 times in a day. 

Mind me asking what chipset you got that's running hassle-free?

5800X (VRM-B2 revision), B450 Aorus M, HX436C17FB3K4/32

mY sYsTeM iS Not pErfoRmInG aS gOOd As I sAW oN yOuTuBe. WhA t IS a GoOd FaN CuRVe??!!? wHat aRe tEh GoOd OvERclok SeTTinGS FoR My CaRd??  HoW CaN I foRcE my GpU to uSe 1o0%? BuT WiLL i HaVE Bo0tllEnEcKs? RyZEN dOeS NoT peRfORm BetTer wItH HiGhER sPEED RaM!!dId i WiN teH SiLiCON LotTerrYyOu ShoUlD dEsHrOuD uR GPUmy SYstEm iS UNDerPerforMiNg iN WarzONEcan mY Pc Run WiNdOwS 11 ?woUld BaKInG MY GRaPHics card fIX it? MultimETeR TeSTiNG!! aMd'S GpU DrIvErS aRe as goOD aS NviDia's YOU SHoUlD oVERCloCk yOUR ramS To 5000C18