The Witcher 3 Next-Gen or The Witcher 3 (+ mods)?

Katarn

I didn't get the chance to play The Witcher 3 when it came out, so I thought the new update would be a good chance to finally give it a go.

I was also looking forward to the integration of HDR, since I like the effect.

But ever since it came out, I've been hearing bad things about the new update, in particular its performance, to the point where some people suggest just sticking to the original. They argue that the updated version is just like the original except that it is more taxing on the system, and the visual improvements are just mods you can easily acquire for the OG. The only reason to play it, they seem to argue, is raytracing (and I don't care for raytracing).

I was further disappointed to hear that HDR support is not very good either.

So which choice is the better option?

The Next-Gen version or the original?

In what ways is the one superior to the other?

I don't want to burden my system more than it is necessary if the visual effect is going to be the same. But if there are improvements that cannot be modded into the original (or it is better to have them without modding), then I will consider the update, provided it doesn't significantly tax the system.

I have a Ryzen 5 3600 with an RX 5700 XT if my specs matter.

Thanks.

Haven't tried it myself yet, but there are quite a few improvements beyond ray tracing which you can leave off. It does look like it incorporates quite a few community mods that would be recommended if you get the original. It just dropped so there might be some bugs needing fixing, good ol Projekt Red. The update is free and the complete game is like 8 bucks now on Steam. 

34 minutes ago, Katarn said:

I didn't get the chance to play The Witcher 3 when it came out, so I thought the new update would be a good chance to finally give it a go.

I was also looking forward to the integration of HDR, since I like the effect.

But ever since it came out, I've been hearing bad things about the new update, in particular its performance, to the point where some people suggest just sticking to the original. They argue that the updated version is just like the original except that it is more taxing on the system, and the visual improvements are just mods you can easily acquire for the OG. The only reason to play it, they seem to argue, is raytracing (and I don't care for raytracing).

I was further disappointed to hear that HDR support is not very good either.

So which choice is the better option?

The Next-Gen version or the original?

In what ways is the one superior to the other?

I don't want to burden my system more than it is necessary if the visual effect is going to be the same. But if there are improvements that cannot be modded into the original (or it is better to have them without modding), then I will consider the update, provided it doesn't significantly tax the system.

Thanks.

If you want more QoL stuffs, stick with the OG, since it is most likely supported by most if not all Witcher 3 mods out there.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

1 hour ago, Katarn said:

OG + Mod. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

16 hours ago, bluehawk said:

It just dropped so there might be some bugs needing fixing, good ol Projekt Red. The update is free and the complete game is like 8 bucks now on Steam. 

The problem is that I don't feel like waiting for them to fix the bugs. It could take a while, and I want smt to play now (as opposed to 2 months from now).

16 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

If you want more QoL stuffs, stick with the OG, since it is most likely supported by most if not all Witcher 3 mods out there.

I just want the definitive experience. I don't intend to mod heavily on the first run. If I play the OG, the only mods I would use would be the ones that make it look/play like the NextGen version.

I am interested in the HDR since I have a screen that supports HDR and I want to put it to use (seeing as most games don't have HDR) and afaik only the update has it -- but this doesn't rule out all the other problems the update has, nor the fact that I am yet to see if it has quality HDR or if it is like Marvel's Spider-Man, which HDR was thoroughly unimpressive.

15 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

OG + Mod.

I see you have come to this conclusion from my specs.

How so?

I have played The Witcher 3 twice but never quited finished the game either times, took this opportunity to finally finish it properly including the extra content, so far it has been a very pleasant experience.

I am currently playing it on a 2060Super which can play it at 1080p all maxed up (no RT) just fine so should the 5700XT I presume. Ray Tracing is w/e the game is already drop dead gorgeous and realistic at the same time, with excellent soundtrack you get sucked into immersion in a way I rarely see, no wonder Assassin's Creed sought out to copy the model so hard /s

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

22 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

I am currently playing it on a 2060Super which can play it at 1080p all maxed up (no RT) just fine so should the 5700XT I presume.

Yes, but the 5700XT can run OG on 4K, whereas NextGen will mostly stutter at 4K.

Then again, I play on a TV, so the distance makes 4K (mostly) pointless.

22 hours ago, Princess Luna said:

the game is already drop dead gorgeous and realistic at the same time, with excellent soundtrack you get sucked into immersion in a way I rarely see, no wonder Assassin's Creed sought out to copy the model so hard /s

this is a long sentence so I don't know at which point the /s begins to apply.

Is it the part about Assassin's Creed or the idea that The Witcher 3 is immersive on its own?

I keep hearing great things about The Witcher 3, so I'm going in with high expectations. I'd hate to have another GTAV experience, when I go in expecting a masterpiece and end up remembering the definition of overhyped.

On 12/28/2022 at 2:50 AM, Katarn said:

I see you have come to this conclusion from my specs.

How so?

Since you can't use ray tracing, much better stick with the OG and install graphic mod or QOL mod to improve the game. 

But if you're not into modding, go with the "next-gen".

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Most mods are already updated for next-gen, plus most new mods will be next-gen only without legacy support. Something changed with next-gen and i find it way easier to mod. I don't have nearly as many script compilation errors and mods seem generally easier to merge.

And the next-gen version still includes a DX11 executable  if you want the built-in mods like better textures etc. but don't need ray tracing and that sort of stuff. DX11 seems to perform better than DX12 from the reviews i've seen.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.