devices on USB ports stop working or either work with lag

Hi friends.

I'm having a issue with my Rampage V motherboard for a long time which has become bothersome for me.

Devices are connected like on the picture below.

When I start transferring files between 2 external HDD for like 5-10 minutes both devices mouse and keyboard work normally.

Immediately after 5-10-15 minutes mouse cursor goes jumping around over screen, and mouse works and stops working and so on.

This morning keyboard completely stopped working.

I plugged it's 2 cables to 2 different ports nothing,keyboard is dead.

Only way to make them mouse and keyboard work again normally is to reboot PC.

Whole time transferring files over  2 external HDDs work normally.

I'm suspecting either keyboard is making short (it's HyperX Elite FPS Pro), or either some USB port is shorted out or I dunno maybe a driver issue.

I mean in case I don't resolve this issue with you guys, I could start by reinstalling Windows and drivers.

Yesterday it happened that mouse completly stopped working but I could make it work again simply by unplug and plug it back to USB port.

I have 10 USB ports on this Rampage V Extreme board so somehow I need to figure out which port is causing this issue or maybe I am suspicious that even keyboard is making this issue.

I have not noticed this issue happen when only keyboard and mouse are connected but will test it out and report back.

As far as I can remember it only happened once while I was gaming,mouse cursor simply freeze and in a second when move mouse it starts jumping around the screen, becomes laggy.

OK now it happened that after transferring files finished and I see RGB light on mouse froze on blue light just like yesterday and mouse and keyboard don't work at all (simply dead).

Yesterday happened that RGB light on keyboard froze and ofc I knew it that keyboard stopped working.

I suppose first step is to use a PC without any connected external HDDs and report back how PC works with only keyboard and mouse attached to it.

20221226_074057.jpg

20221226_074225.jpg

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

Thanks for understanding.

6 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Hi friends.

I'm having a issue with my Rampage V motherboard for a long time which has become bothersome for me.

Devices are connected like on the picture below.

When I start transferring files between 2 external HDD for like 5-10 minutes both devices mouse and keyboard work normally.

Immediately after 5-10-15 minutes mouse cursor goes jumping around over screen, and mouse works and stops working and so on.

This morning keyboard completely stopped working.

I plugged it's 2 cables to 2 different ports nothing,keyboard is that.

Only way to make them mouse and keyboard work again normally is to reboot PC.

Whole time transferring files over  2 external HDDs work normally.

I'm suspecting either keyboard is making short (it's HyperX Elite FPS Pro), or either some USB port is shorted out or I dunno maybe a driver issue.

I mean in case I don't resolve this issue with you guys, I could start by reinstalling Windows and drivers.

Yesterday it happened that mouse completly stopped working but I could make it work again simply by unplug and plug it back to USB port.

I have 10 USB ports on this Rampage V Extreme board so somehow I need to figure out which port is causing this issue or maybe I am suspicious that even keyboard is making this issue.

I have not noticed this issue happen when only keyboard and mouse are connected but will test it out and report back.

As far as I can remember it only happened once while I was gaming,mouse cursor simply freeze and in a second when move mouse it starts jumping around the screen, becomes laggy.

OK now it happened that after transferring files finished and I see RGB light on mouse froze on blue light just like yesterday and mouse and keyboard don't work at all (simply dead).

Yesterday happened that RGB light on keyboard froze and ofc I knew it that keyboard stopped working.

I suppose first step is to use a PC without any connected external HDDs and report back how PC works with only keyboard and mouse attached to it.

20221226_074057.jpg

20221226_074225.jpg

It is prob the  USB controller getting overwhelmed with 2 External drives. I will change my keyboard and mouse to the Controllers above that (usb 2.0). You don't need Usb 3 speeds for keyboard and Mice. So plug in the Keyboard and mouse to the Row containing the PS2 Port (marked Keyboard/Mice) 

12 minutes ago, Gokul_P said:

It is prob the  USB controller getting overwhelmed with 2 External drives. I will change my keyboard and mouse to the Controllers above that (usb 2.0). You don't need Usb 3 speeds for keyboard and Mice. So plug in the Keyboard and mouse to the Row containing the PS2 Port (marked Keyboard/Mice) 

Aren't those ports for flashing BIOS (ROG CONNECT+KEYBOT)?
May I use them for peripherals?
So the issue that is happening to me is completely normal?

Those are 2 ports and I need 3 (keyboard uses 2 though probably because of a USB passthrough which I don't need at all).

So to connect mouse and keyboard to USB 2.0 ports and external HDDs to blue ones and see what will happen?

Please do not take offence for my apparent confusion or rudeness,it's not intent me to be like that,it's just my BPD,be nice to me,and I'll return twice better,be rude and usually I get easly pissed of...I'll try to help anyone here,as long as it's something I dealt with,and even if you think I'm rude or not polite,forgive me,  it's not me it's my BPD.

1 minute ago, frozensun said:

Aren't those ports for flashing BIOS (ROG CONNECT+KEYBOT)?
May I use them for peripherals?
So the issue that is happening to me is completely normal?

Those are 2 ports and I need 3 (keyboard uses 2 though probably because of a USB passthrough which I don't need at all).

So to connect mouse and keyboard to USB 2.0 ports and external HDDs to blue ones and see what will happen?

Pass through can go in Usb 3 . I dont know there is Bios Ports that can be used for Normal thing usually in a ASUS board the bios port will be marked Red and will be the bottom left one in laptops you can use it for general IO. It is pretty Normal When using 2 or more high speed devices on Usb The controller getting Overwhelmed and doing weird stuff)  

13 minutes ago, Gokul_P said:

Pass through can go in Usb 3 . I dont know there is Bios Ports that can be used for Normal thing usually in a ASUS board the bios port will be marked Red and will be the bottom left one in laptops you can use it for general IO. It is pretty Normal When using 2 or more high speed devices on Usb The controller getting Overwhelmed and doing weird stuff)  

Hmmm...but why did they put 10 usb ports, if I can't even use 5 of them without issues....

So I just want to know if this is normal, does not necessary mean that some of the USB ports is malfunctioning.

4 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Hmmm...but why did they put 10 usb ports, if I can't even use 5 of them without issues....

So I just want to know if this is normal, does not necessary mean that some of the USB ports is malfunctioning.

It prob have multiple controllers so you can try using one at the other controllers for 1 drive. refer the motherboard manual for which one is connected to which Controller. 

1 minute ago, Gokul_P said:

It prob have multiple controllers so you can try using one at the other controllers for 1 drive. refer the motherboard manual for which one is connected to which Controller. 

Ok, will check MoBo manual..but I doubt it has multiple controllers, it's an olx X99 chipset...

Thx for help.

So I should try using USB 2.0 ports each for mouse and keyboard  and the rest (blue ones) for external HDDs?

Just now, frozensun said:

Ok, will check MoBo manual..but I doubt it has multiple controllers, it's an olx X99 chipset...

Thx for help.

So I should try using USB 2.0 ports each for mouse and keyboard  and the rest (blue ones) for external HDDs?

Yeah usually that works. In my cheap B365 board there is one 2.0 controller for 3 ports and one 3.0 controller for 3 ports usually i plug in all the input stuff that don't require high bandwidth into usb 2.0 and the ones require high bandwidth to 3.0 so i don't get this glitches i still feel slow speed when using more than one usb 3.0 drive at the time. 

Hmm so all 10 ports use same controller.

That is why I guess probably external HDDs " "block" peripherals.

Screenshot_20221226-093107_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

27 minutes ago, frozensun said:

Hmm so all 10 ports use same controller.

That is why I guess probably external HDDs " "block" peripherals.

Screenshot_20221226-093107_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

how big is the PSU ( Power Supply Unit ) chances are there is not enough power to run everything you have attached....

i was somewhat blown away by the size of PSU requirements just to run a few hard drives internally + CPU + ram i tried a couple of those power calculators and theyh more or less said that i should be running 1300watts

just a thought

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

1 hour ago, cretsiah said:

how big is the PSU ( Power Supply Unit ) chances are there is not enough power to run everything you have attached....

i was somewhat blown away by the size of PSU requirements just to run a few hard drives internally + CPU + ram i tried a couple of those power calculators and theyh more or less said that i should be running 1300watts

just a thought

750 watts seasonic platinum editon.

Waay an overkill PSU.

Is the problem specific when you copy between the two drives?

Ext. HDD1 --> Ext. HDD2

and does it happen in the reverse direction

Ext. HDD2 --> Ext. HDD1

Additionally, does the problem happen when you copy from an internal drive to the external drives simultaneously

Internal Drive --> Ext HDD1. and HDD2. at the same time

If so, does the problem happen when its only just one of the drives

Internal Drive --> Ext HDD1 only, or HDD2 only.

Also as a curiosity, if you plug your keyboad and mouse into front panel ports, does this happen?

1 hour ago, For Science! said:

Ext. HDD1 --> Ext. HDD2

Ext. HDD2 --> Ext. HDD1

Additionally, does the problem happen when you copy from an internal drive to the external drives simultaneously

Also as a curiosity, if you plug your keyboad and mouse into front panel ports, does this happen?

Not have so much time to experiment dear friend.

I am checking if it will happen when no ext HDDs attached.

Front ports are not connected to board,I thought no need for them cuz of 10 ports on MoBo.

9 hours ago, For Science! said:

Ext. HDD1 --> Ext. HDD2

Ext. HDD2 --> Ext. HDD1

I will take hopefully this Saturday, test all what you wrote and report back if it means smth to you..for me not.

It is like: I can not enter the car from front door and you write: are you able to open the back door and enter in...  😄

I was just playing music from external HDD and after like 10-15 minutes,mouse started with "freeze issue.

Okay then I wanted to safely remove the USB device (external HDD) via taskbar but got messsage (pic below) and from Windows warning,smth like:

One of your devices is malfunctioning and Windows don't longer recnogize it bla bla...

Now mouse works normal, but when above happened,mouse completely froze and I had to unplug and plug it back.

Same happened to keyboard (my first post).

Let me try to plug back external HDD,play music and again see what would happen.

I will now connect the HDD to the USB ports (row below mouse USB port).

Screen Shot 01-03-23 at 08.42 AM.JPG

fix-usb-device-not-recognized-error-in-windows-11-e1628015158172.jpg

Seems to me this is hardware related.

I left the PC, went to local store, came back and mouse froze...

PC was operational, did not froze, keyboard was working but mouse not.

• 2 months later...

Ok so issue still happens and makes me frustrated a lot.

Only keyboard,headphones and mouse were connected and I was playing Bioshock when I noticed that suddenly mouse in a split of a second becomes unresponsive and responsive and so on.

Yesterday it even happened that RGB on mouse froze on one color and I lost cursor in desktop enviornment.

How do I resolve this without reinstalling OS?

Is this mouse, motherboard,driver or even software releated?

Ok, let me first try to use different mouse and report back,if it will happen or not.