Modern gaming - If your younger than ~26, watch this video.

SolarNova

Josh Strife Hayes just released a new video that sums things up rather well on whats wrong with modern gaming, specifically modern AA and AAA gaming.

If you younger than say ... 26. or have otherwise started gaming after say ..2006 ..thereabouts ... You should watch this as you have likely only ever known gaming (AAA gaming especially) as it should NOT be.

I still remember when Steam games started selling DLC, I said to myself and the community I was playing in at the time, that the DLC being sold on steam was disgraceful and would help lead to a future we would all regret having helped get to that point if we bought said DLC.

Most people will know a time in their life where they truly hate being proven correct... this is mine.

*I know I'm not the only one who saw this*

I hate the fact I saw this coming, I hate the fact that no matter how many times over the years i've tried to convince certain types of people that these types of monetary practices would destroy our hobby, Those people would still end up pumping money into these systems. I hate the fact that this very post will have certain people either ignore it entirely, shrug it off as "thats just they way things are", or actually try to defend these systems.

I hate the fact my hobby that was once very niche and not that popular but filled with great content, has been popularized for the sole purpose of eventually being twisted into the scum ridden money making machine it has now.

I hate the fact the only way to 'fix' the issue is for the community to turn around and say no with their wallets. , and yet know full well that is NEVER going to happen.

I'll put this bluntly...

If you have only ever known gaming as it is today ...if you think its ok .. its normal .. if you shrug it off ... Know that you are WRONG.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

Pandora's box is open. 

It's hard to make games but the indie scene is the place to be for modding. 

Factorio, and other 2d games have a ton of great things going on. 

13 hours ago, fpo said:

Pandora's box is open. 

It's hard to make games but the indie scene is the place to be for modding. 

Factorio, and other 2d games have a ton of great things going on. 

i only play AA/AAA games and i also do not play unmodded games (ever, unless its an emulator) so im not sure what you're trying say?

and yes i also go out of my way to avoid "indies" for several reasons,  not at last due to the off-putting behavior of many "indie" devs on twitter etc so i doubly don't know what you're trying to say, that less complex games are easier to mod perhaps?  thats entirely possible,  i feel modding a sophisticated and highly complex AA/AAA game is more satisfying and can teach you a lot more about modding and also how highly complex AA/AAA games are being made, what tools can be used, etc.

As for OP,  yeah, sure, but its not like good games that don't have microtransactions and other predatory measures aren't made anymore,  you just have to be a bit picky in what you play, not really a lot different to the "good old days" tbh.

22 hours ago, SolarNova said:

Josh Strife Hayes just released a new video that sums things up rather well on whats wrong with modern gaming, specifically modern AA and AAA gaming.

you can tell him from me he should stop playing shit games then, because that has nothing or not much to do with budget,  rather with greedy af publishers more than anything , just avoid them and you're golden tbh

(if he wants/has difficulties with that, i can give him a (my) list)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

lmao. I haven't even watch the video and I already know Maple Story will be in it, the first mainstream or i think the OG gacha game? Also the game still making lots of money 20 years later. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

40 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

lmao. I haven't even watch the video and I already know Maple Story will be in it, the first mainstream or i think the OG gacha game? Also the game still making lots of money 20 years later. 

i have a very lengthy story about "dlc" or rather "microtransactions" that involves "PlayStation Home™" and $39.99 "Troll Suits"... 🤣 but I'll just say people actually *want* this, it makes them feel special,  no matter how stupid it really is.

As said,  not every game is like that nowadays, thankfully,  you kind of have to go out of your way to seek either,  unless people are really gullible and *only* buy the games with the highest advertising budgets... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

i only play AA/AAA games and i also do not play unmodded games (ever, unless its an emulator) so im not sure what you're trying say?

Most modern AA and AAA games aren't super easy to mod to my knowledge. 

When you make a game, it's hard enough to make a game. 

To make a game modable is exceptionally difficult to do in addition to making the game especially if you don't plan for it from the ground up. 

and yes i also go out of my way to avoid "indies" for several reasons,  not at last due to the off-putting behavior of many "indie" devs on twitter etc

Well Twitter is being abandon for the most part by toxic users of old so now you don't have to worry about that. 

so i doubly don't know what you're trying to say, that less complex games are easier to mod perhaps? 

No I'm saying some games were made to be modded and the ones that make the most effort to be modded are indie games these days. 

Doom and quake were deliberately made to be modable. 

Skyrim too. 

Now, call of duty and rainbow six and god of war aren't designed to be modded. 

But a game called Factorio is designed to be modded. 

Indie devs make 2d games often because they're easier to make. 

If a game is easier to make, then you can allocate more time to additional features like modability. 

thats entirely possible,  i feel modding a sophisticated and highly complex AA/AAA game is more satisfying and can teach you a lot more about modding and also how highly complex AA/AAA games are being made, what tools can be used, etc.

This is very dependent and complicated so I'm not going to explain further than "if it has tools, that's a lot of work put into tools. If there aren't tools, it's a whole heck of a lot harder." 

Making mods is very different from downloading mods and playing modded games which is what I am thinking op was wanting. 

50 minutes ago, fpo said:

Most modern AA and AAA games aren't super easy to mod to my knowledge. 

When you make a game, it's hard enough to make a game. 

That is generally true, but thats also part of what makes it so fun!

And while its "technically" true for many games,  "practically" its not... you can mod almost any game without to much effort because 

To make a game modable is exceptionally difficult to do in addition to making the game especially if you don't plan for it from the ground up. 

this isnt actually the case, most game engines have modding tools, and often specific games have too, sometimes even *before* release : p

So while not every game can be modded (because there are no tools) like 99% *can* be modded (infamous example is newer Tomb Raider games where the devs went out of their way to make it especially difficult and even went so far as to sue a modder iirc..)

Didnt stop anyone,  there are plenty of mods available for the games, just took a few months longer than usual ~

No I'm saying some games were made to be modded and the ones that make the most effort to be modded are indie games these days. 

Doom and quake were deliberately made to be modable. 

Skyrim too. 

Thats also partly correct,  but its also mostly irrelevant. 

Typically i do not play games with "mod support" i pretty much only play the "unmoddable" ones, heavily modded of course = )

and im saying partly correct,  because there are *a lot* of games that don't have official mod support whatsoever,  but the engine indeed does support it... so its literally a none issue for these games, provided tools are available,  which really are for the most common engines, and if not there are typically workarounds in any case (of varying difficulty) 

Like i feel this is really a bit of a narrow view, and not entirely correct as said,  only modding games with "official support" just seems boring and seriously limiting the possibilities. 

For example ive been waiting for a super niche Japanese game to be modded... i knew someone would do it eventually,  it took over a year iirc, but luckily its unreal engine and i knew thats easy to mod, so *of course* someone would do it eventually!  😄

i also modded - afaik - unmoddable games myself from scratch,  its not really difficult,  sometimes a little bit of hex editing is all thats needed (some Yakuza game, i actually changed out the main dude with a "hostesss"... so funny lol... even though the mod was far from perfect... it worked pretty well overall! )

So tldr is, nah, you can mod every game and AA/AAA are typically the most satisfying and "support" is largely irrelevant and apparently also misunderstood... most games "support" mods... and as said the ones where that is a selling point upfront really don't interest me personally (usually and often the mods are bad tbh) 

Well Twitter is being abandon for the most part by toxic users of old so now you don't have to worry about that. 

True, true,  but the problem is the people are still the same , they didn't change and have at large already exposed themselves (usually unwittingly) 

Also keep in mind that's not the only reason,  we also have lots of low effort copy pasta, poor gameplay and uninteresting themes that take themselves too serious,  etc, typically i just dont enjoy these games to the point i feel even trying them isnt worth it... maybe if there's a demo? 

Recently played a "indie msx game demo" i really liked it, but there's some issues with the emulator... maybe I'll buy it eventually though. 🤔

Also Va11-hall-A (or however you spell it!) is one of my favorite games! Its, simple yet it works so well and is really *unique* i feel...

This is very dependent and complicated so I'm not going to explain further than "if it has tools, that's a lot of work put into tools. If there aren't tools, it's a whole heck of a lot harder." 

Eh, i think the tools arent the issue as long you know where to look, its actually making the mods which often involves several steps, which neither are easy, blender,  photo shop, hacking tools, hex edits, converters,  etc, etc, and in the end your mod has to actually be good and not complete trash also : D ... its really a lot of work usually and very involved,  and typically regardless of engine,  we're talking here more about textures, poly count, resolutions, rigging, actual game dev stuff !

I actually did make some mods,  as said, or sometimes i just alter existing ones... or sometimes i convince a modder to do what I want : p

The one and only mod i ever published has over 1000 downloads btw,  im actually kinda proud of that lol ~

ps: actually 

Spoiler

something i noticed... sure sometimes there are overlaps... but in many cases the modders i follow really just mod specific games or engines,  and almost always its *not* games with official support... many of those games are simply not interesting to them (or the people who follow them) i also asked,  saw others asking... nope, no interest in those !

like Cod? Yeah i feel no one's gonna seriously mod that... probably has sucky anti cheat too and the audience at large probably doesn't care about "mods"

there's a secret (oops) genshin modding discord for example... yeah, they're not gonna release their mods..  the devs would immediately go down on that... nope... super "secret" and its incredibly hard to get those mods..  (i have 2 of them, but never tried them, actually i never played genshin... lol)

you know? not every game is going to be modded, multi only, or just general trash games just don't have the interest of the majority of modders... but technically its not really a problem,  with *very few* exceptions .

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity