Windows Modern Standby Bug Reporting

AlexTheGreatish
  • 2 months later...
On 2/8/2023 at 3:51 PM, Isuck Assimov said:

I also heard from dozens of people who claim their devices lose most of their charge while the device is completely powered down and not even in sleep mode.

To be fair i still assume those people accidently put the devices in sleep or have usb devices connected to the always on ports, which would make a lot more sense that trickle discharge while 100% shut down.

I am one of those people. I always do a "Shut down" from windows menu -> Power button -> Shut down and I leave the laptop off for a few days and it will be almost empty when turning on again. I have spent months trying to find the issue. Looking into bios settings, shutting down by holding shift button, disabled Fast startup, holding power button to shut down, shutting down via command line.

I have an MSI Prestige 15 that according to powercfg /a the firmware does not support S0 sleep. Don't know if that is relevant because i always do a "Shut down".

I have also been in contact with MSI support but their suggestions have not helped.

After seeing this video I will now try to do the "Shutdown" after I remove the power cord to see if it might affect Shut down in addition to Sleep.

• 1 month later...

I have recently been pointed to this thread about Modern Standby and the various YouTube links about it and there is another interesting issue with Modern Standby and VPNs.

As per my post on Geekzone: https://www.geekzone.co.nz/forums.asp?forumid=86&topicid=306644

If you have a machine with Modern Standby and are running Cisco or Fortigate VPN there is an issue where when you are on the VPN and attempt to ping your computer name then with the Cisco VPN you get General Failure because the IP address being resolved is your home WiFi address and not the IP address allocated via the VPN.

image.jpeg.05b1d4d1ee4671cbddbf25779cf2c35e.jpeg

This is a problem for our developers who use Eclipse and the project starts up services such as local databases or expects an inbound connection. As Eclipse uses the computers hostname rather than localhost to bind services. Therefor when you are on VPN none of those services can be resolved.

The work-around for the VPN issue is to disable "NS offload" on each of the built in network adapters under advanced settings as that forces the adapter back into non-Modern Standby mode. I wonder if that would also assist with the battery being drained issue?

image.jpeg.d8011d7585cb35c85b802199b7b7bb78.jpeg

• 2 months later...