New pc build - 2nd build after 10 years

Go to solution Solved by Lairlair,

No 1000w is good, and yes the Noctua NH-U12A is too small, if you want to go air cooled I'd get the NH-D15 instead, or yeah an AIO. Everything's looking good otherwise, I have the same case an I'm very happy with it.

Budget (including currency): 

£2.5k - £3k

GBP

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

The aim of this build is to:

Work and research: 

• Software development - mainly automation and big data processing

• AI (neural networks, text analytics and heavy computation for research experiments)

• Mobile app dev/Web dev

• Running Windows and Linux virtual machines (simultaneously) for isolated environments. 

• Potentially game development in the future. 

• Audio processing and recording (more of a hobby) 

• Leaving the pc on/wake on lan for long durations (1-2 months unattended for remote access)

Gaming:

• I mainly play basic strategy games like CIV 5, 6, Humankind, Rimworld, city skylines, stellaris (new to me) etc.. 

• Mobas: League of legends, Paragon overprime

• Some shooters: Apex, Valorant

• I'm starting to dabble more with games like New World when I have time, I'd like to get into it more. 

• Other: God of war, Satisfactory, Monster hunter, F1

• Ps2 emulation

• Overall, I love beautiful graphics and massive worlds to explore in games

Streaming:

• I have some local media that I want to be able to stream with Plex locally. 

Other details 

Monitors:

Currently have 2 1080p monitors at 144hz each. Looking to get 4k upgrades in the future, but not planned at the moment. Adding a 3rd monitor (4k) may be the next step for me though, I'd love to use it at 144hz for gaming, but not sure if that would be possible.

I'll be using Windows 11 as my main os. 

Why are you upgrading?

I need a powerhouse that I can use for everything listed above. I do not have a system that can do that for me right now. My last desktop was one I hacked together without much research about 10 years ago. 

I plan to buy between now and mid Jan 2023. I already have a 3090 Ti. 

I have checked the clearence for the 3090ti and the case - it all seems fine from sizing guides and other builds I've seen in pc part picker. 

I think by looking at the parts it is also quite obvious I'm aiming for a white theme. 

PCPartPicker Part List: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/krmnhk

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X 4.5 GHz 16-Core Processor  (£565.00 @ Computer Orbit) 
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A chromax.black 60.09 CFM CPU Cooler  (£119.95 @ Amazon UK) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B650-A GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard  (£279.45 @ Technextday) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory  (£216.00) 
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive  (£184.04 @ Amazon UK) 
Video Card: NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce RTX 3090 Ti 24 GB Video Card  (£1149.00) (Owned) 
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Compact ATX Mid Tower Case  (£89.99 @ Scan.co.uk) 
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000 Platinum 1000 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£182.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Total: £2785.43
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-12-21 09:34 GMT+0000

Thank you all!!

I've had some people onn reddit recommend an AIO over the air cooling. So I think I'll opt for a Lian Li Galahad 240mm. 

Annother question: is the 1000w psu overkill, should I be looking at an 850w instead?

No 1000w is good, and yes the Noctua NH-U12A is too small, if you want to go air cooled I'd get the NH-D15 instead, or yeah an AIO. Everything's looking good otherwise, I have the same case an I'm very happy with it.

40 minutes ago, Lairlair said:

Great to hear about the case as I just bought it, along with the AIO. I've seen that the cpu only supports memory up to 5200mhz, so I think also replacing the ram with the same z5 sticks but 5200mhz version. 

On 12/22/2022 at 5:38 PM, AmazingSturdy said:

Great to hear about the case as I just bought it, along with the AIO. I've seen that the cpu only supports memory up to 5200mhz, so I think also replacing the ram with the same z5 sticks but 5200mhz version. 

You can still get faster memory and see if you can overclock it, but there's no guarantee it'll work. My CPU supports DDR4 at max 3200Mhz but I still manage to have to clock the memory at 3600Mhz. I don't know that the improvements are huge anyway, so I guess it's a balancing act between your budget, performance, and your will to tinker

4 hours ago, Lairlair said:

You can still get faster memory and see if you can overclock it, but there's no guarantee it'll work. My CPU supports DDR4 at max 3200Mhz but I still manage to have to clock the memory at 3600Mhz. I don't know that the improvements are huge anyway, so I guess it's a balancing act between your budget, performance, and your will to tinker

Yeah makes sense. Well I went for the 5600mhz since I couldn't really find the 5200mhz stocked anywhere here. Perhaps I'll look into overclocking at some point. Thanks for the advice. I'll update the thread once I've built it

Yeah, might be worth it to tweak some parameters in BIOS. In the previous Ryzen generation, the memory clock showed good performance when it was a multiple number of the infinity fabric clock. https://itigic.com/infinity-fabric-clock-or-fclk-on-amd-cpus-how-do-they-work/

But it's not an exact science, and sometimes clocking the memory higher yields poorer performance so who knows, and maybe all the testing involved makes you lose more time than the time you earn by gaining some performance