Cold Temps and Custom Cooling

tjrose91

the link is below but i assume that just idle running during a cold snap should be enough to prevent the system from freezing if needed i can use a mining software to keep things from freezing i dont mine but might for a few days to keep it from freezing at night, but the CPU and GPU are on the on the same loop so the the system idle should it keep the only distilled water in the system as i change the water monthly as its only 1.25 USD a gallon so its cheap, but should only idle GPU and CPU be enough normally i turn everything off at night to save energy due to phantom power even unplug the microwave those LCDs can eat money 

2 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

How cold does your home get at night?

well its going to be below -17.7778C or 0 degrees Fahrenheit for a few days and my pc is right by the window and only constant heat source is the fireplace downstairs so its going to get cold 

2 minutes ago, tjrose91 said:

well its going to be below -17.7778C or 0 degrees Fahrenheit for a few days and my pc is right by the window and only constant heat source is the fireplace downstairs so its going to get cold 

Got it.

In that case, Folding@Home or something similar should be fine. As long as you're putting enough heat into the cooling system to maintain temperatures above 0C/32F. Mining and Folding@Home will both accomplish this, I prefer F@H because medical research is cooler and more practical than cryptocurrency in my mind.

EDIT: wouldn't hurt to do a test run and see what kind of temperatures you're getting.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

If you’re worried about power draw that’s not a good option. 
Best to get a gallon of antifreeze and mix 10-15% into the loop. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Got it.

In that case, Folding@Home or something similar should be fine. As long as you're putting enough heat into the cooling system to maintain temperatures above 0C/32F. Mining and Folding@Home will both accomplish this, I prefer F@H because medical research is cooler and more practical than cryptocurrency in my mind.

EDIT: wouldn't hurt to do a test run and see what kind of temperatures you're getting.

only reason why i would mine is to offset the electric costs im but would have to do all my rigs just to cash out 

14 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

If you’re worried about power draw that’s not a good option. 
Best to get a gallon of antifreeze and mix 10-15% into the loop. 

thought car antifreeze wasnt a good idea, might shop around tomorrow and see if i cant get a bottle of pc coolant, but might be hard i dont have a microcenter

2 hours ago, tjrose91 said:

only reason why i would mine is to offset the electric costs im but would have to do all my rigs just to cash out 

thought car antifreeze wasnt a good idea, might shop around tomorrow and see if i cant get a bottle of pc coolant, but might be hard i dont have a microcenter

Just be aware that not all PC coolants have anti-freeze properties.

16 hours ago, tjrose91 said:

There's a few factors to consider. Plenty of people have done it and alot of youtube videos on it. If youre only running distilled water and swapping it every few weeks, putting in a little bit of glycol isnt gonna hurt any more than doing that.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz