Any recommendations for upgrading from a (relatively) shitty laptop to a more powerful one?

TurnTable

Hi,

I'm currently running a Lenovo Thinkpad I got from school. While it's okay for some of the games I'm playing, for the other games I want to play, it's absolutely not enough.

Some of the games I want to play are considerably more demanding, and even the games I can technically run on this laptop don't run as well as I'd want them to. I'm also trying to get into 3D modelling, but this laptop just isn't really up-to-spec.

I'm also looking for stuff outside of this post, but I don't exactly know where to start or what to look for. I know roughly what kind of hardware to look for, but I don't know if stuff like the CPU, GPU, memory, etc. is all well-balanced. I have a budget of roughly $2K USD (exchanged from roughly 20.000 NOK, per 17/12). I can afford to spend a little more if necessary. Ideally, a numpad on it would be nice, but I've also seen numpads that can be connected by USB, so I'm not that bothered by it.

So far, a few of the laptops that've peaked my interest (and are roughly within my budget) are;

• Acer Nitro (i5 11400, 1TB SSD, RTX 3050, 16GB RAM)
  • ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 (R7 6800HS, 1TB SSD, RX6700S)

Again, I'm not very familiar with how good any of these are, hence why I'm asking.

And again, if you think you know of one that's better, by all means, lemme know! Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, TurnTable said:

Hi,

I'm currently running a Lenovo Thinkpad I got from school. While it's okay for some of the games I'm playing, for the other games I want to play, it's absolutely not enough.

Some of the games I want to play are considerably more demanding, and even the games I can technically run on this laptop don't run as well as I'd want them to. I'm also trying to get into 3D modelling, but this laptop just isn't really up-to-spec.

I'm also looking for stuff outside of this post, but I don't exactly know where to start or what to look for. I know roughly what kind of hardware to look for, but I don't know if stuff like the CPU, GPU, memory, etc. is all well-balanced. I have a budget of roughly $2K USD (exchanged from roughly 20.000 NOK, per 17/12). I can afford to spend a little more if necessary. Ideally, a numpad on it would be nice, but I've also seen numpads that can be connected by USB, so I'm not that bothered by it.

So far, a few of the laptops that've peaked my interest (and are roughly within my budget) are;

• Acer Nitro (i5 11400, 1TB SSD, RTX 3050, 16GB RAM)
  • ASUS ROG Zephyrus G14 (R7 6800HS, 1TB SSD, RX6700S)

Again, I'm not very familiar with how good any of these are, hence why I'm asking.

And again, if you think you know of one that's better, by all means, lemme know! Thanks in advance.

Where are you located (currently)? The US? Norway? Effectively, what country will the laptop be bought in? Local taxes, etc might affect the budget somewhat...but for $2k USD you've got a lot of leeway.

Also, speaking from experience, if you plan on using the 10-key/numpad a lot for something, especially if you're moving the laptop around, you're going to get annoyed really fast.  I'd skip the USB numpad at that point and buy an external keyboard if the laptop you get doesn't have it.

59 minutes ago, PineyCreek said:

Where are you located (currently)? The US? Norway? Effectively, what country will the laptop be bought in? Local taxes, etc might affect the budget somewhat...but for $2k USD you've got a lot of leeway.

Also, speaking from experience, if you plan on using the 10-key/numpad a lot for something, especially if you're moving the laptop around, you're going to get annoyed really fast.  I'd skip the USB numpad at that point and buy an external keyboard if the laptop you get doesn't have it.

I'm located in Norway. However, like I said, I can afford to go a little over if necessary.

I'm not really going to move the laptop around so much. I would've gone with a stationary if I could, but it's a pretty impractical option for where I live atm. A laptop with a keypad on the keyboard would be ideal, but a whole external keyboard would be impractical.

Sure, I could get a bigger desk, but then I wouldn't have much space to move around my room.