New USB-C connectors on GPU's

Ireland1142

So I have a question about the USB-C connectors coming out on GPUs (notedly AMD) and have also recently broken a display port on one of my 3 monitors. Most GPUs anymore only have one HDMI and then Display ports or sometimes USB-C. This probably sounds novice but I haven't been able to find any info about this online. Can you run a USB-C dongle off the graphics card and then (provided the dongle provides support) attach multiple monitors thought that dongle and have them ran as independent displays though that single USB-C? I'm curious about this because although I don't need this 3rd monitor the cost to fix the DP on it is more than the monitor is worth, and to prevent E-waist I would like to run the HDMI port it has. I already have an HDMI (or VGA) being ran from my ONE HDMI port on my current GPU and only have 3 DP available. I was going to buy a DP to HDMI dongle but then seen some of the USB-C to 2x HDMI + DP +ton of other stuff. If anyone knows about, or can test (I don't own a GPU with USB-C out), I would be very interested. 

TL/DR; Is the USB-C from a GPU able to run a dongle and then have multiple displays run independent off that dongle? 

Keep in mind NOT USB-C FROM THE COMPUTER - this is about using the GPU

Looking at some of those new cards with the USB-C port (like the RX 7900 XTX), the manufacturers are keeping at 1 monitor for each port.  I know the USB-C port on a motherboard or laptop can support multiple screens through a splitter, and DP can also split or daisy-chain screens, but it could be that the graphics cards handle it more like a standard video port.  Best way to know for sure though is if someone can test that out.

Because they're fairly new (I think?) to GPUs and They likely do want just one screen per port, I was interested in the capability of this (imagine the possibilities) but also I don't have a way to test, and if there's someone floating around here who does own a GPU with USB-C out and happens to have a dongle with multiple displays out they could quickly try and see if it does indeed work or not. I'm wanting to find out because I would hate to buy a DP to HDMI to find out later this work. I assume USB data would not work though the GPU though.

13 minutes ago, Ireland1142 said:

Because they're fairly new (I think?) to GPUs and They likely do want just one screen per port, I was interested in the capability of this (imagine the possibilities) but also I don't have a way to test, and if there's someone floating around here who does own a GPU with USB-C out and happens to have a dongle with multiple displays out they could quickly try and see if it does indeed work or not. I'm wanting to find out because I would hate to buy a DP to HDMI to find out later this work. I assume USB data would not work though the GPU though.

Naw, I think some RTX2000 came with type c on it's back.
At least my Strix 2060 Super did. Never tried it though, I don't own VR, and plugging portable storage or whatever else into it instead of motherboard I/O sounded too roundabout. Especially since motherboard & pc case I/O are, most of the time, easier to access.

Probably why NVIDIA killed the idea.

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2019-02-28-psa-the-usb-c-port-on-rtx-graphics-cards-isnt-just-for-vr

Idk if RX7000 Type-C also have the same function, or just for display.

@VIVO-US Seriously, enter Indonesia's market already. I'm sick of seeing expensive yet questionable monitor arms with very limited mounting option. 🤣

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

Kinda like mosaic in reverse...?  Can't you setup a splitter after the USBc connection? The computer sees it as one large display and then the splitter rips it down the middle into two separate monitors?. Although, I guess at that point you're just throwing money at a problem.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

18 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Naw, I think some RTX2000 came with type c on it's back.
At least my Strix 2060 Super did. Never tried it though, I don't own VR, and plugging portable storage or whatever else into it instead of motherboard I/O sounded too roundabout. Especially since motherboard & pc case I/O are, most of the time, easier to access.

Probably why NVIDIA killed the idea.

https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfoundry-2019-02-28-psa-the-usb-c-port-on-rtx-graphics-cards-isnt-just-for-vr

Idk if RX7000 Type-C also have the same function, or just for display.

@VIVO-US Seriously, enter Indonesia's market already. I'm sick of seeing expensive yet questionable monitor arms with very limited mounting option. 🤣

Well with the idea of being plugging multiple monitors into the dongle from the GPU, and hopefully getting independent use on the monitors, you would only be going to that dongle for the same reasons you would if for messing with your monitors (not working, teardown, upgrade) stuff like that

4 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

Kinda like mosaic in reverse...?  Can't you setup a splitter after the USBc connection? The computer sees it as one large display and then the splitter rips it down the middle into two separate monitors?. Although, I guess at that point you're just throwing money at a problem.

it would be more like using the one USB-C to run multi-monitor setups but off of one GPU output (USB-C) and have independent use on those monitors, like setting up a 1X3 or 3X1 like how you would normally think of a multi-monitor setup but using one GPU output to a hub, then the hub to the monitors. 

If I'm not making sense I'm either over explaining or over thinking.

5 minutes ago, Ireland1142 said:

it would be more like using the one USB-C to run multi-monitor setups but off of one GPU output (USB-C) and have independent use on those monitors, like setting up a 1X3 or 3X1 like how you would normally think of a multi-monitor setup but using one GPU output to a hub, then the hub to the monitors. 

If I'm not making sense I'm either over explaining or over thinking.

Idk much about multi monitors, not a multi monitor user (yet).
But in my brain right now it's : "I think getting a reliable hub to do it is more expensive than buying another HDMI or DP cable"

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

26 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

Idk much about multi monitors, not a multi monitor user (yet).
But in my brain right now it's : "I think getting a reliable hub to do it is more expensive than buying another HDMI or DP cable"

personal problem - dp broke on my monitor andalready using HDMI on one monitor, yes a convert dongle would work but if i can get a C to x2 HDMI then kool

back in the day I had two videocards in my box.  Why not just buy a office-quality gpu to use for your non-gaming monitor?

It must be true, I read it on the internet...