You guys are my last hope, i have no idea how to fix my pc

Eivind.exe

So six weeks ago, my pc suddenly restarted out of the blue. I wasn’t doing anything particular when it happened, wasn’t playing a game or watching youtube. When it had restarted, i continued as usual, until it happened again an hour later. After that one, i tried googling, and i updated my drivers. It still restarted though, 10 minutes after the last one. 

I was unable to log on, and was thrown into automatic repair, stating that windows couldn’t start properly. I tried everything i could think of, thinking some of my files were corrupted. I scanned using cmd, tried bootrec commands and more. I tried going back to a saved state, but when replacing the files, my pc restarted again. The same happened when trying to reinstall windows from the menu, restarting, and putting me back to square one. It continued to restart randomly while in the advanced options, not doing anything. Only place it didn’t happen, was in cmd.

I realised that it might be a problem with my PSU, since it only restarted when doing something using a bit power. I borrowed a friend’s PSU to test my theory. I plugged it in, turned it on, and it worked! Played around on my pc for 30 minutes ish, before unplugging and returning it. I ordered a new psu, which was 850 watts instead of the old one, 550 watts. 

It came in the mail, i plugged it in and it worked. I played games, watched youtube and chilled on discord for 3 hours. Then it suddenly restarted again. I knew what was happening, though i couldn’t for the life of me, find the cause. All temps seemed okay, and every cable seemed plugged correctly. 30 minutes later it restarted again, and then 3 minutes later it happened again. Now i’m stuck on the automatic repair screen again, unable to log on. 

Can you please help me solve this mystery? I’m lost, without a single clue about what’s causing this. I’ve spent alot of my money on this computer, and i’m feeling desperate.

I’ve also tried to reset the CMOS battery, switch the ram around and swapping to another PCI slot, all with the same result. The lights on my motherboard shines Yellow, Red, White then Green, when trying to boot. It also doesn’t restart or crash at all when in bios.

My specs are:
Graphics card: GeForce RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 2X OC
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMIN
Ram: Two HyperX FURY DDR4-3200 C16 DC 8Gb
New PSU: Corsair RM850e 850W
Old PSU: Corsair 550W

If you need any more information, please let me know

Welcome to the forum!

Take out your RAM, blow it off and blow out the slot. Install one stick in the primary slot (Slot 0 or 1, it will be labelled). See if it still crashes. Then, try the same with the other ram stick. 

9 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

Welcome to the forum!

Take out your RAM, blow it off and blow out the slot. Install one stick in the primary slot (Slot 0 or 1, it will be labelled). See if it still crashes. Then, try the same with the other ram stick. 

Thanks! I did as you said, i still get the same result

1 minute ago, Radium_Angel said:

Are you getting a BSoD, or just sudden loss of power?

It just reboots by itself, though sometimes it gets to the login screen, and other times it goes to the system repair menu, stating it was unable to launch properly.

Are you bsoding or getting shutting down screen or just hard reset and screen immedeatly goes black?

If its the latter go give your board a water treatment aka whats usually my last ditch effort but now ive found myself using it as the first thing i do when i come into one of these boards, ive found that after properly discharging boards dunking them in water is a great way to clean em and fix any issues particularly fully dead or randomly restarting boards

Just take the board out with notthing connected, take off all heatsinks, take out cmos battery, clear cmos and short powerbutton for 2 minutes. Then you can run some water over the board making sure everything has been soaked then dunk in a bucket of water for an hour or 2 and wait ~2 days to dry, you can also use dishwasher with no detergent

8 minutes ago, Mel0n. said:

Well in that case. Do you have an iGPU? Tried removing your GPU and using only that?

I tried, though it didn’t seem to work. It beeped a few times, but never booted. 

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Are you bsoding or getting shutting down screen or just hard reset and screen immedeatly goes black?

If its the latter go give your board a water treatment aka whats usually my last ditch effort but now ive found myself using it as the first thing i do when i come into one of these boards, ive found that after properly discharging boards dunking them in water is a great way to clean em and fix any issues particularly fully dead or randomly restarting boards

Just take the board out with notthing connected, take off all heatsinks, take out cmos battery, clear cmos and short powerbutton for 2 minutes. Then you can run some water over the board making sure everything has been soaked then dunk in a bucket of water for an hour or 2 and wait ~2 days to dry, you can also use dishwasher with no detergent

It’s the latter, screen instant black. Though this sounds kinda risky, i think i’ll hold off on this for a bit, until i run out of options

BIOS updated?

Have you looked into the Event Viewer to see if there is anything of note/interest there?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

BIOS updated?

Have you looked into the Event Viewer to see if there is anything of note/interest there?

I haven’t updated BIOS, i’ll look into that. I’ve never done it before, as it’s a bit risky i’ve heard

2 minutes ago, Eivind.exe said:

I haven’t updated BIOS, i’ll look into that. I’ve never done it before, as it’s a bit risky i’ve heard

Depends on how it's done. If your system is unstable, a reboot in the middle of a BIOS update is very bad news,

Question, does the system reboot under Safe Mode as well?

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

2 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Depends on how it's done. If your system is unstable, a reboot in the middle of a BIOS update is very bad news,

Question, does the system reboot under Safe Mode as well?

Yeah, it also reboots under safe mode. The only time it doesn’t reboot, is when in BIOS

Just now, Eivind.exe said:

Yeah, it also reboots under safe mode. The only time it doesn’t reboot, is when in BIOS

Ok, here is an option to determine if it's software, or hardware:

Get a LiveUSB install of Linux Mint (it's very user friendly and windows-like) and boot to that. Linux is intolerant of bad hardware. If the system behaves, then you have massive software corruption. If it reboots/errors out, then it's hardware (and I would suspect a bad mobo)

9 minutes ago, Eivind.exe said:

It’s the latter, screen instant black. Though this sounds kinda risky, i think i’ll hold off on this for a bit, until i run out of options

Literally no risk

IMG_20221129_203632.thumb.jpg.3a992f7bd1328577be4d568963eb210a.jpg

Heres living proof though its a stubborn pos with a restart issue so after 5 times of dunking in water i just gave up and now its gonna be my test board for 1155

5 minutes ago, Eivind.exe said:

The risk is miniscule, as long as you dont have sudden blackouts or unstable aka not stock settings your good

If you do fail to flash bios it is very easy to fix, theres the bios chip with an unmarked spi header above the first pcie x16 slot abit below the cpu socket so its incredibly simple to fix a bad bios update, its laughable how ppl are so afraid of flashing bios when failing is a matter of using a bios test clip or ideally when available and pinout is known spi header

4 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Ok, here is an option to determine if it's software, or hardware:

Get a LiveUSB install of Linux Mint (it's very user friendly and windows-like) and boot to that. Linux is intolerant of bad hardware. If the system behaves, then you have massive software corruption. If it reboots/errors out, then it's hardware (and I would suspect a bad mobo)

This sounds like a good idea, i’ll look into it, thanks!

8 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

a bios test clip or ideally when available and pinout is known spi header

Assuming you have that to begin with...

I'd try RAM testing software, like MemTest86. You load it onto a USB pen drive and it boots right into the program (which bypasses Windows) If you get another BSOD, you know it's probably not Windows-related.

8 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Assuming you have that to begin with...

Its not even expensive theyre like 5$

Jumper cables for spi flashing i got mine for 2$

Actually forgot to specify

When the screen goes black does the pc power off for a moment before turning back on, stays powered on, or it just turns off? If its the first or third then guaranteed hardware issue, either board or psu usually, if its the 2nd then windows just hard crashed but not hardware issue, just means you are ridicolously unstable