Good free web design application

Nicolas

So I am the project lead along with a friend of mine of a school project and we are building a website, we both have a somewhat amateur understanding of HTML and JS, ofc we are not alone in this, but we are looking for a good tool for this, the one that has interested us the most is kompozer, but it's kinda old so idk how it's going to work, so what do you guys suggest? stick with kompozer or do you have a better suggestion?

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz

I build my websites with Notepad++.

Sooo, yeah I dunno :P I guess Kompozer is good to stick with.

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

I build my websites with Notepad++.

Sooo, yeah I dunno :P I guess Kompozer is good to stick with.

I would do that, but this is the first website I build so I'd rather have a tool like kompozer, I'm a noob at this I know.

MSI Z87-GD65 - GTX 760 DirectCU II - i5 4670k @4.0GHz - 16GB Corsair Vengeance @1866 MHz

I would do that, but this is the first website I build so I'd rather have a tool like kompozer, I'm a noob at this I know.

My first website was built with NP :P It takes a lot of trial and error. Change something, save and F5 the broswer constantly. Took a while, but you learn pretty quickly. CSS too :D

Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 | Intel Core i7 4790k | Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming GT                              Notebook: Dell XPS 13

16GB Kingston HyperX Fury | 2x Asus GeForce GTX 680 OC SLI | Corsair H60 2013

Seasonic Platinum 1050W | 2x Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0 | WD 1TB & 2TB Green                                 dat 1080p-ness

I'd say dreamweaver but, you know, not free. I thought CS3 was now free, but a quick google search didn't really find anything so... Stick with notepad ++?  :P

There's an easy to use application for website building bundled with Windows called Notepad. :D

http://www.wysiwygwebbuilder.com/

This is a very easy website builder no HTML knowledge need to create websites :)

I started with this then moved to free templates and edited with notepad++. After that I started to make my own templates with CSS

Our Lord and Saviour Chunt!!!

mb look into 'html kit', pretty basic

Aptana Studio 3 is the best in my opinion. Fantastic editor with support for tons of file types and even has built in FTP if/when you need it

i5 3570k - MSI Z77 GD65 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance - Galaxy GTX 780 - Corsair AX650 - Custom CPU Loop - Corsair 650D - OCZ Agility 4 128GB - WD Black 640GB

Use Brackets. It's an editor that does helpful things and makes you code faster without holding your hand or making you reliant on it. If you use something like a full IDE it'll be harder to code without it.

http://brackets.io

You could also look into using a CSS framework to give you a good start to your website, then continue with a text/WYSIWYG editor. although this might be overkill depending on what you want the site to do. Just an idea.

Intel Celeron 2.4Ghz - 16GB DDR4 RAM - 980 ti

So I am the project lead along with a friend of mine of a school project and we are building a website, we both have a somewhat amateur understanding of HTML and JS, ofc we are not alone in this, but we are looking for a good tool for this, the one that has interested us the most is kompozer, but it's kinda old so idk how it's going to work, so what do you guys suggest? stick with kompozer or do you have a better suggestion?

I would suggest you Coda 2, I know it's not free but I think anyone can afford 20 bucks ;)

You need to know that this is a code editor, so no WYSIWYG. And I think you should use code ;)

Business Management Student @ University St. Gallen (Switzerland)

HomeServer: i7 4930k - GTX 1070ti - ASUS Rampage IV Gene - 32Gb Ram

Laptop: MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2018

Operating Systems (Virtualised using VMware): Windows Pro 10, Cent OS 7

I'd say dreamweaver but, you know, not free. I thought CS3 was now free, but a quick google search didn't really find anything so... Stick with notepad ++?  :P

That's CS2, and it is free to download for certain customers, not just anybody. I may be remembering incorrectly but I did try to get it once...

I second Brackets as a text editor. Recently moved to it from Notepad++ and it's great.

But this all depends upon what sort of website you want to build. Do you want it to be static or dynamic? Is it a webapp?

You might like to consider building a website based on a premade CMS like Wordpress or Joomla if you don't need to get too into the details of coding.

What is the aim of the project? What class is it in? Are you supposed to be learning about the actual code or just Web Design alone?

That's CS2, and it is free to download for certain customers, not just anybody. I may be remembering incorrectly but I did try to get it once...

Thanks for clearing the confusion, I only recently upgraded to CS6 and can't remember which one was the one I used to use  :P

I second Brackets as a text editor. Recently moved to it from Notepad++ and it's great.

But this all depends upon what sort of website you want to build. Do you want it to be static or dynamic? Is it a webapp?

You might like to consider building a website based on a premade CMS like Wordpress or Joomla if you don't need to get too into the details of coding.

What is the aim of the project? What class is it in? Are you supposed to be learning about the actual code or just Web Design alone?

It's not really homework it's kind of a project my class and I decided to do, it will be sort of like a news source.

This came up because we were just chatting and we started talking about this and how much money you can make if you make a popular website and put ads on it and stuff so we started talking and in the end we were all like aah let's do this we won't lose anything. Soo yeeah

It's not really homework it's kind of a project my class and I decided to do, it will be sort of like a news source.

This came up because we were just chatting and we started talking about this and how much money you can make if you make a popular website and put ads on it and stuff so we started talking and in the end we were all like aah let's do this we won't lose anything. Soo yeeah

Okay. In what way would it be a news source? If you're posting your own Articles, Wordpress is ideal... if you want to sort of aggregate the news like Google News does, you're not going to get what you want with any web site builder; you would likely have to code it yourselves... There are some things you just can't do without writing your own software.