Unsuccessful sync via IMAP in China.

Kanna

I know this isn't exactly Microsoft support, but I want to hear some opinions. I was checking recent activity on my Microsoft account and found that there has recently been 3 unsuccessful syncs using imap service from an ipv6 address located in China, I have two-factor auth set up and a secure password, but it hasn't been changed in a bit, should I change it again perhaps?

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

Changing your password definitely wouldn't hurt.  I would also look at the logs to see if there ever were any successful syncs.  Also, I believe you can disable imap surpport for your account is you are not expressly using it.

11 minutes ago, Kopesetic said:

Changing your password definitely wouldn't hurt.  I would also look at the logs to see if there ever were any successful syncs.  Also, I believe you can disable imap surpport for your account is you are not expressly using it.

No successful syncs here, also what uses imap? and where would I turn off

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help

I just looked and I didn't see an explicit way to disable imap. You can disable pop access. imap is a protocol to sync a mailbox locally to a mail client.  This is unneeded if you are only using the web, or modern email applications.  By having MFA enabled, you force logins to use Microsoft's modern authentication scheme, and this should prevent anyone from accessing your account via imap. 

If you go to your Microsoft account, under security, check to be sure you do not have any "app passwords" enabled that you are not specifically using. App passwords are like pinholes that you can set up to bypass modern authentication for older apps.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2022 at 11:50 PM, Kanna said:

No successful syncs here, also what uses imap? and where would I turn off

You can disable IMAP completely for the organization by turning on Security defaults in the Azure Portal. Also you can turn it off individually for each user in the Admin center > Users > Active users > Click on the user and select Manage email apps on the right side under email. You can uncheck IMAP and SMTP and also POP.

Make sure to check Azure sign in logs and match that IP to see which account it is trying to get access to.