new am5 build gpu issue i pray to god someone can help me.

Vincet84

Hello all,

So i've recently decide to take the leap and build a new AM5 PC and i ran into a very confusing problem and have been troubleshooting for days to any avail.

The problem is that whenever i put my GPU(gtx 1080) in the first pciex16 slot it simpy doesnt work well or not at all, sometimes the pc wont boot and sometimes it boots but instantly freezes and sometimes it will boot but go to the igpu (even though i dont have a monitor connected to the motherboard).
If i put the GPU in another pcie slot with only x2 speed it works fine.
Now i have tried to force gen3 reinstalled windows multiple times and tried both win 10 and 11, i've tried different power connectors that came with the PSU, i flashed my motherboard's BIOS to the latest version and that didn't work so i flashed to even the latest beta version, i flashed the gtx 1080's bios aswell.

Logically i deduced that it was a faulty motherboard so i send the motherboard back for RMA however when they tested it they told me it works just fine, i asked them what gpu they used but unfortunately correspondance is slow (i live in the Netherlands and customer support is absolute garbage).

So if it's not the BIOS or GPU and not the motherboard then im starting to run out of ideas and i pray to god someone here can help me.

specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Asrock B650 PG Lightning
Corsair Casefan iCUE SP140 RGB Elite Performance (Single Pack), 140mm
Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB Tempered Glass Black Midi Tower Behuizing
Corsair RM850 2021 PSU / PC voeding
G.Skill DDR5 Trident Z5 RGB 2x16GB 6000Mhz CL36 silver F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RS
Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT.

11 minutes ago, Vincet84 said:

Hello all,

So i've recently decide to take the leap and build a new AM5 PC and i ran into a very confusing problem and have been troubleshooting for days to any avail.

The problem is that whenever i put my GPU(gtx 1080) in the first pciex16 slot it simpy doesnt work well or not at all, sometimes the pc wont boot and sometimes it boots but instantly freezes and sometimes it will boot but go to the igpu (even though i dont have a monitor connected to the motherboard).
If i put the GPU in another pcie slot with only x2 speed it works fine.
Now i have tried to force gen3 reinstalled windows multiple times and tried both win 10 and 11, i've tried different power connectors that came with the PSU, i flashed my motherboard's BIOS to the latest version and that didn't work so i flashed to even the latest beta version, i flashed the gtx 1080's bios aswell.

Logically i deduced that it was a faulty motherboard so i send the motherboard back for RMA however when they tested it they told me it works just fine, i asked them what gpu they used but unfortunately correspondance is slow (i live in the Netherlands and customer support is absolute garbage).

So if it's not the BIOS or GPU and not the motherboard then im starting to run out of ideas and i pray to god someone here can help me.

specs:

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X
Asrock B650 PG Lightning
Corsair Casefan iCUE SP140 RGB Elite Performance (Single Pack), 140mm
Corsair iCUE 4000X RGB Tempered Glass Black Midi Tower Behuizing
Corsair RM850 2021 PSU / PC voeding
G.Skill DDR5 Trident Z5 RGB 2x16GB 6000Mhz CL36 silver F5-6000J3636F16GX2-TZ5RS
Corsair iCUE H150i RGB PRO XT.

Ryzen DOES NOT like hardware changes, clear CMOS whenever you do. 

8 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

Ryzen DOES NOT like hardware changes, clear CMOS whenever you do. 

I've cleared the CMOS 3 times by now, also this is a new build the first thing that was in the pc was the GPU in the first slot. 

In all my years of pc building i've never been so defeated.

Can you try with another GPU?

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

24 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

Can you try with another GPU?

Tried another GPU and that one also didnt work in the first pcie slot.

20 minutes ago, Vincet84 said:

Tried another GPU and that one also didnt work in the first pcie slot.

so it s the pcie slot no question

System : AMD R9 5900X / Gigabyte X570 AORUS PRO/ 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance 3600CL18 ASUS TUF Gaming AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX OC Edition GPU/ Phanteks P600S case /  Eisbaer 280mm AIO (with 2xArctic P14 fans) / 2TB Crucial T500  NVme + 2TB WD SN850 NVme + 4TB Toshiba X300 HDD drives/ Corsair RM850x PSU/  Alienware AW3420DW 34" 120Hz 3440x1440p monitor / Logitech G915TKL keyboard (wireless) / Logitech G PRO X Superlight mouse / Audeze Maxwell headphones

39 minutes ago, PDifolco said:

so it s the pcie slot no question

Thats what i thought but when i send it RMA they told me its working fine..... Unless they lied to me?

Do you have a second PCIE 16x ? If it's 4.0, that one might be more compatible with Gen3.

I have a second pciex16 thats running at x2 and the card works in there. I personally tried an even older Nvidia card (i think it was the 690) and that one also didn't work in the main slot, the guys at the store where i bought it from to whom i RMA it told me it worked with their gpu altough they failed to mention what GPU they used.

I forced Gen3 aswell on the main slot that also didn't work.

Could this be a PSU issue? Like somehow the system is not drawing enough power from my 850 watts?

2 hours ago, Vincet84 said:

Could this be a PSU issue? Like somehow the system is not drawing enough power from my 850 watts?

Update, tried another Corsair PSU and the problem still occurs. So i can rule out the PSU