Windows Freezing when vibrations transferred to it

Go to solution Solved by Heats with Nvidia,

I suggest you try reseating the cables, which means unplugging them and then re-plugging them to break up possible corrosion layers in the connectors and then try reading the smart values from your hdd and the error logs from windows.

To test, if its tha harddrive problem, you can use a thumbdrive, put a linux on it and boot from that. If this doesn`t crash, its a harddrive problem.

Issue

I have my windows PC on my desk where I am working on projects (no other place to put it) - my desk is both my workbench and at work/gaming station. I have noticed when I drop something (like my phone) onto the desk (not that hard or high a drop), ~75% of the time my entire PC freezes and does not respond - thus I have to force a shutdown loosing everything open. The computer appears to be is absolutely fine when no external vibrations are triggered. My system is around 5 years old so I would have thought I might have a few more years left in it.

I have not been able to find any ideas anywhere as to what might be causing this freezing issue (and I am out of ideas).

Question
Has anyone seen this behavior before or might have any ideas to possible debug further or even a solution? Could my 2x 3.5" HDD drives being stacked so close to each other cause this or something else?

Trouble Shooting Steps taken
I have:
  • Dusted internally and externally
  • Checked all internal cables in my case (by pushing them in) to confirm they are seated correctly
  • Reseated my RAM

My Configuration
  • i7-8700
  • ASUS Z370-A
  • GeForce RTX-2070 Super
  • 64GB RAM
  • HDD (1x NAS and 1x Regular)
  • Phantex P300 case

Sounds like a short somewhere, or something loose that is moved just enough to cause a short, locking things up.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

I suggest you try reseating the cables, which means unplugging them and then re-plugging them to break up possible corrosion layers in the connectors and then try reading the smart values from your hdd and the error logs from windows.

To test, if its tha harddrive problem, you can use a thumbdrive, put a linux on it and boot from that. If this doesn`t crash, its a harddrive problem.

either:

- the hard drives nope out from the vibration, but that seems extremely sensitive if that's the case.

- somewhere in the system is a loose connection that will briefly drop out entirely with a mild bump.

something very silly to try.. does it still happen when you put the pc upside down? if it doesnt, you can essentially limit your search to things that are heavy.