would 2 140mm fans as pull with 3 120mm as push be beneficial?

CHEESYnachoMAN4
Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,

The rule is generally you get at most only 20% of the power of the second fan as additional cooling.  Twin fans are mostly useful when a single fan runs a bit too fast and creates more noise than is wanted.  Sometimes slowing a fan only a little produces a massive nois level change.  If the fans are already running slow, or so fast that a second fan won’t help enough, all they do is make more noise to no great useful purpose.  140s have a lot less static pressure than 120s too, so they may not even add much at all.

image.thumb.jpeg.1d0bf48faca769a57bbe97a5ab1b02b3.jpeg

I am getting a new gpu that has a 360mm aio, and I plan on installing it in the front where the current 3 140mm intake fans are. Since I will have those fans lying around would it be beneficial to place 2 of the 140mm fans on the other side acting as a sort of pull fan once the radiator is installed? If so, would a 140mm to 120mm bracket be beneficial?

PC Specs:

CPU: i9 10850k

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z490-A

Ram: 32GB DDR4 4000MHz

GPU: GIGABYTE RTX 3080 GAMING OC 10G 

Case: Cooler Master: MasterCase H500P

Storage: 4TB NVME SSD, 8TB HDD, 500gb SSD

PSU: Corsair AX1600i

Monitor: ACER X34P 34" and LG 34" 34UC88-B Curved LED Monitor (stacked)

CPU Cooler: Cougar Helor 360

Peripherals:

Keyboard: CORSAIR K95 RGB PLATINUM

Mouse: Razer Basilisk Ultimate

Speakers: Sound BlasterX Katana V2

Operating System:

Windows 11 (64 Bit)

The rule is generally you get at most only 20% of the power of the second fan as additional cooling.  Twin fans are mostly useful when a single fan runs a bit too fast and creates more noise than is wanted.  Sometimes slowing a fan only a little produces a massive nois level change.  If the fans are already running slow, or so fast that a second fan won’t help enough, all they do is make more noise to no great useful purpose.  140s have a lot less static pressure than 120s too, so they may not even add much at all.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.