My mouse just went bonkers

Hey forum,

I'm currently in safe mode (my eyes hurt) and that is because my mouse, or I should say something on the software level related to the mouse, just went completely haywire and is about to make me do the same. 

I get this random clicking about 3-5 times a second, very fast, and the left- and rightclick seem to be taking turns with it. 

It started about an hour ago when my mouse started holding the leftclick even after I had let the physical button go. From there it rapidly got worse until I am now at the point where I can only use the PC in safe mode, because I can't even enter my windows password because of the clicking.

It's not a hardware problem, I've already tested a different mouse and everything works fine in safe mode. I personally suspect it may be a virus, even though I can't remember downloading anything from any sketchy websites, lately. But the way it started slowly and became so bad it rendered the whole computer pretty much useless, it just smells like virus to me. I have Avast! and its on auto-update, so I'm not sure how that got past, but anyways...

Now I'm stuck in safe mode and don't know what to do. I'm currently letting Avast run a complete scan and hope it finds something.

Has anybody had this problem before, any ideas on what it could be and what I can do to get rid of it ASAP?

I hate safe mode... :(

Did you install any programs recently that might have caused this?

EDIT: Really all you can do now is try to restore to a previous backup or attempt to find out if it's a virus. I suggest giving Malwarebytes a go if Avast doesn't find anything.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Did you install any programs recently that might have caused this?

EDIT: Really all you can do now is try to restore to a previous backup or attempt to find out if it's a virus. I suggest giving Malwarebytes a go if Avast doesn't find anything.

Avast is at 92% and has found 1 infected file so far. I can't see what it is just yet, but I hope it's it. I never made any backups because my rig is fairly new and I havn't gotten around to it yet... bummer. 

I'll be back with an update when avast finishes.

The last thing I did before the problem started was connect my phone to copy some photos onto my computer... I'll virus-check my phone as well.

OK, Avast found something related to an FLV player that was labeled as adware. At first I was disapointed, but after removing it and restarting, my mouse has been working fine, so far, so it looks like that may have been it.

On the other hand, an idea that I just had makes me want to smack myself across the head with a golf club. I have a Wacom Tablet laying around on my desk which was covered by a few sheets of paper and had several metal objects, including a GPU cooler and a set of screwdrivers, laying around on it. If one of those objects had been triggering the surface of the tablet, that would explain everything. The tablet's drivers won't load in safe mode so the mouse would work and the adware was just randomly found by avast. Everything adds up now. 

I'm an idiot.

Hahah that is a funny story :)

My sis has her Wacom tab on sitting on top of the casing so she can keep an eye on it. You could always put a few sheet of paper over the surface to insulate it from metal surfaces.