How many displays will this GPU support? Is my calculation correct?

MrMitty

I bought the 1660 Super on Black Friday. The tech specs say that the card supports a max resolution of 7680 x 4320. I have one UHD display 3840 x 2160 and I'm thinking about buying this oddball, which has a resolution of 2560 x 2880. Would the calculation to figure out whether the card can support a certain number of displays be:

Pixels_max = 7680 x 4320 = 33,177,600

Pixels_1 = 3840x2160 = 8,294,400

Pixels_2 = 2560 x 2880 = 7,372,800

As long as Pixels_1 + Pixels_2 + ... <= Pixels_max then it's okay? 

or put another way: 

This card can support 33,177,600 / 8,294,400 = 4 UHD displays total? 

Is this correct? 

no , thats not how you determine a cards maximum number of displays....

the maximum number of displays is typically determined by the design of the specific pcb by the specific vendor. TYPICALLY , a gpu will support 2-4 displays depending on how many ports it actually has. Some of the ports are shared sometimes so a card can have 4 display ports but still only support 3 monitors.

33 minutes ago, MrMitty said:

The tech specs say that the card supports a max resolution of 7680 x 4320

thats per output to a single monitor. So the card very well could support 2-4 monitors that size.

What i would most like to convey however..... is you don;t just do random math based on the number of pixels. Thats not a thing...

the number of displays is determined by the design of the specific card , and the supported resolutions are supported either via it being a common resolution at a hardware level , or the monitor having software which will enable the gpu to support an uncommon resolution.

27 minutes ago, emosun said:

no , thats not how you determine a cards maximum number of displays....

the maximum number of displays is typically determined by the design of the specific pcb by the specific vendor. TYPICALLY , a gpu will support 2-4 displays depending on how many ports it actually has. Some of the ports are shared sometimes so a card can have 4 display ports but still only support 3 monitors.

thats per output to a single monitor. So the card very well could support 2-4 monitors that size.

What i would most like to convey however..... is you don;t just do random math based on the number of pixels. Thats not a thing...

the number of displays is determined by the design of the specific card , and the supported resolutions are supported either via it being a common resolution at a hardware level , or the monitor having software which will enable the gpu to support an uncommon resolution.

It has 4 ports, 3 DP and 1 HDMI. The description also says: Multi-Monitor Support 4

So, what resolution can each of the 4 monitors be? 7680 x 4320?

1 hour ago, MrMitty said:

It has 4 ports, 3 DP and 1 HDMI. The description also says: Multi-Monitor Support 4

So, what resolution can each of the 4 monitors be? 7680 x 4320?

Whatever the maximum output of the port it's connected to is.

15 hours ago, Glenwing said:

Whatever the maximum output of the port it's connected to is.

Here's the screenshot from the product page. So, since it has 3 DP 1.4 and 1 HDMI 2.0, the card can support 3 8K at 60hz and 1 4K monitor at 60hz? 

Screenshot 2022-12-05 at 14.22.49.png

yeah pretty much unless the product page is wrong.

do keep in mind that supporting multiple 2d monitors has been a normal thing for gpus for 20 years. 2d desktops arent that hard to render.

I am amazed that this card can support that many pixels. 

20 hours ago, MrMitty said:

I am amazed that this card can support that many pixels. 

Well cards from 20 years ago supported multiple hd displays so again 2D imagery isnt difficult for a gpu to render.