Using air compressor to clean out PC?

WhatTheQuack

Go low budget or are low budget, use your bike pump with the ball nozzle. Just first turn the pump upside down and pump out any moisture that's in there. You don't need a super compressor just some air moving to get the dust bunnies out and definitely don't need to spend hundreds of dollars. Do not go to the local gas station and use their Air station, they are usually chock full of moisture unless you have something to filter it (you've been warned).

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

Just make sure you get a moisture conditioner on your hose between the compressor and the nozzle. I use one that was like $10 at harbor freight and it catches the moisture in the compressed air so you don't end up wetting down stuff in your case or getting water droplets anywhere.

Jerry (aka. Barnacules)

Barnacules Nerdgasm  B) 

[YouTube] [Twitter] [Facebook]

NOO! Cans are SUPER environmentally unfriendly. Asus JJ has spoken against such blasphemy.

He who dies with the most tools wins.

I am aware that using can of compressed air is the best way to clean out a PC, but over time the cost of these adds up. So I am wondering if it is safe to use an air compressor to clean dust from my PC, to save money in the long run; or will it generate too much static electricity like a vacuum cleaner, and damage the components

EDIT: Don't worry everyone, just seen how expensive air compressors are, I'll continue to use cans instead. Nice to know that this is an option though

Sorry for a now useless thread.

I bought a Data Vac a few years ago. Don't get the Hurricane it is rechargeable and dosen't have enough juice while the Data Vac plugs into your 120 outlet and blows some freakin air. Check it out I recommend it to everyone.

Super OP AF Killer Retro Emulation PC 360 No Scope 420 Blaze It (Sorry I Couldn't Help It) Seriously Though This PC Is Overkill And Before You Ask It Does Play Crysis 1024x768 60 FPS

Intel Core Duo 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz // ASUS P5N-D // Zalman CNPS9500A Air Cooler // 4GB G.Skill @ 400MHz 5 5 5 31 23 // 2 Way SLI GeForce 9800 GTX+ // 32" SONY WEGA CRT TV 480i // Corsair TX750 // Seagate 3TB // Win XP 32Bit // Sony DVD RW // ANTEC Full Tower // Steel Series H Wireless // Logitech K520 Wireless Keyboard // Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades The New 8Bitdo Wireless SNES Controller With Analog Sticks / 8Bitdo Bluetooth Arcade Fight Stick / Proper HD I Know This Machine Does Not Support 3 TB / Icy Dock 5.25 4 Bay HD Hot Swap Bay For More Seamless Multi Booting Want To Run At Least Win 95, Win XP, Win 7 

i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz // ASUS Maximus V Formula // CM Hyper 212 EVO // 16GB G.Skill Sniper @ 2133MHz 9 11 10 28 // Crossfire Sapphire 7970 // 42" 4K 60Hz FreeSync WasabiMango IPS // Corsair AX860 // Samsung 1TB 840EVO // Seagate 3TB // Seagate Barracuda 160GB sata II // OCZ Vertex 3 90GB sata III // Win 10 64Bit // ASUS DVD RW // 2 Corsair AF 120 // 2 Corsair SP 120 // 2 xigmatek 120 // Corsair 760t white flavor // NZXT HUE+ RGB Controller // Sennheiser G4me Zero // Steel Series H // Corsair M95 // Corsair K95 // 3 Xbox 360 Controllers // Dolphin Bar // Wii U Mote // Leap Motion Plus // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades 1080Ti or Vega RX64 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/16900-nothing-special/

• 1 year later...

i use the datavac.. it's pricey but awesome, guarantees the job is done thoroughly and quickly. to be on the safe side i stick something a finger or similar to stop fans spinning however considering how fast they can spin i don't think it's realistic to assume this machine can make them spin so fast they that they get damaged or cause problems, especially if the fans are brushless, which most pc fans of any reasonable quality are. i feel this is one of those things that you buy and it will last generations. use it every few months to clean all my families pcs and laptops. Invest one time and forget about environmentally unfriendly and poor quality products that will cost more over your life than just buying something like this. mind you, there may be cheaper and better than the datavac it has been a number of years since i got mine..

DataVac Amazon UK. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Datavac-Electric-Duster-ED-500-220-240V/dp/B003BZCOKK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430745440&sr=8-1&keywords=datavac

Yes, always hold fans when cleaning fans. Even with an air can, it will spin the fan faster than it was designed for, at considerable amount and break. Basically, your fan will be either be noisy, or stop working, depending on how much you decided to push it. Even spinning it a bit, but really fast, is enough to break one, especially smaller fans.

i allways use a big air compressor for cleaning out, never had any issues with that.

Also that story about not letting fans spin with that air.... lolwhut

Also that story about not letting fans spin with that air.... lolwhut

It is very true. Maybe if you have cheap and noisy fans to starts with you don't notice, but I have broken my fair share of fans... even a Noctua fan by accident.

Even Linus mentioned it, in one of his recent videos. It is a well known fact.

It is very true. Maybe if you have cheap and noisy fans to starts with you don't notice, but I have broken my fair share of fans... even a Noctua fan by accident.

Even Linus mentioned it, in one of his recent videos. It is a well known fact.

That you can damage the fan motor it self maybe, if they are realy low rpm fans.

But realy burn out a fan header? lol, i call that a bit overrated.

Also everything Linus says doesn't automaticly mean that its also true.

I take my computer down to my workshop about twice a year and give it a good blow out. I do however hold the fans, you dont want them to spin.

an air compressor will over spin them and they will explode.

I've also heard of people blowing caps off by getting too close

beside that make sure your water trap is drained before you blow it out. works heaps better then a little can

Its all about those volumetric clouds

That you can damage the fan motor it self maybe, if they are realy low rpm fans.

But realy burn out a fan header? lol, i call that a bit overrated.

Also everything Linus says doesn't automaticly mean that its also true.

its not the motor its the fan itself it overspins since an air compressor would make it spin 10,000 if not more and when the fan hits the housing it just flys apart

Its all about those volumetric clouds

• 2 months later...

Hello there!

I was wondering if any one here had experience in using an airbrush compressor (or even the airbrush) to clean their PC?

If so... which model do you recommend? :) 

I take my computer down to my workshop about twice a year and give it a good blow out. I do however hold the fans, you dont want them to spin.

an air compressor will over spin them and they will explode.

I've also heard of people blowing caps off by getting too close

beside that make sure your water trap is drained before you blow it out. works heaps better then a little can

I've been using an air compressor for many years to dust out all of my PC's and I've never once had this happen. There isn't anything wrong with the fan's spinning. That's what they are designed to do.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

I am aware that using can of compressed air is the best way to clean out a PC, but over time the cost of these adds up. So I am wondering if it is safe to use an air compressor to clean dust from my PC, to save money in the long run; or will it generate too much static electricity like a vacuum cleaner, and damage the components

EDIT: Don't worry everyone, just seen how expensive air compressors are, I'll continue to use cans instead. Nice to know that this is an option though

Sorry for a now useless thread.

cant you just take your pc to a gasstation and use their air compressor?

thats how i do it

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

cant you just take your pc to a gasstation and use their air compressor?

thats how i do it

That seems like a complete waste of time. I just take my PC out to the garage, hit it with the compressor and I'm done.

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

That seems like a complete waste of time. I just take my PC out to the garage, hit it with the compressor and I'm done.

but i dont have a compressor, and the gasstation is 5 min away on foot

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

You would be a lot better off using a compressed can of air.