Using air compressor to clean out PC?

WhatTheQuack

I am aware that using can of compressed air is the best way to clean out a PC, but over time the cost of these adds up. So I am wondering if it is safe to use an air compressor to clean dust from my PC, to save money in the long run; or will it generate too much static electricity like a vacuum cleaner, and damage the components

EDIT: Don't worry everyone, just seen how expensive air compressors are, I'll continue to use cans instead. Nice to know that this is an option though

Sorry for a now useless thread.

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

when i do this i unplug everything but the PSU's power chord, so the computer stays grounded, Set your air compressor to about 30PSI and keep the nozzel away about 3 inches, also turn it off and don't spin any of the fans with the air. This can cause the fan to become a generator if it spins the opposite way, creating a small current that can fry components.

It's okay to use the compressor, just don't let the fans spin under the air pressure. (dang, I was too late, well anyway, have a Linus video)

Any unknown button should be pressed even number of times.

when i do this i unplug everything but the PSU's power chord, so the computer stays grounded, Set your air compressor to about 30PSI and keep the nozzel away about 3 inches, also turn it off and don't spin any of the fans with the air. This can cause the fan to become a generator if it spins the opposite way, creating a small current that can fry components.

OK thanks, I don't actually own an air compressor, do you think it is worth buying one just for cleaning my PC? Also what else can they be used for?

My PC:

4670k      GTX 760 ACX      CoolerMaster Hyper 412s      Fractal Design Node 804      G1 Sniper M5      Corsair RM 650      WD Red 1TB     Samsung 840 Evo 120GB

Or unplug the fans from the headers if you DO want to spray them, then they wont cause any damage

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

OK thanks, I don't actually own an air compressor, do you think it is worth buying one just for cleaning my PC? Also what else can they be used for?

Compressed air is like £3, and should last a a few months / I get like a year from a can unless your house is dust heaven

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

This.

I've used one many times. Just follow what Tea1337 stated. Also, you don't really need 30psi, you can go down. The only thing I would edit from what Tea1337 said is, I would hold the nozzle at least 4-5 inches away. Better safe than sorry. 

Also a leaf blower works just as easy; no grounding, electricity, or worries at all.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

« Current PC ~ Phantom Beast »

.::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::.

Oh, and I use Datavac ED500 (220V version, anyways) instead of a compressor (mostly because I'm too lazy to move my rig to the compressor and back each time I want to clean it). Less powerful, but much better than canned air or Hurricane Oduster.

I've been using a compressor to clean out my computers for 10 years. Never knew shooting the fans could have an adverse affect. Than again I never had any such issues :ph34r:

AMD Ryzen 1700x

ASRock x370 Taichi

Corsair Vengeance RGB 16GB GDDR4 3200

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti K|NGP|N

Fractal Meshify C

Samsung Evo 960 Nvme M.2 500gb & WD Blue 1TB

Corsair TX850M Gold

Alienware AW2518H 240Hz Gsync

Audioengine A2+ & Sennheiser HD6xx /w Fiio K5 Pro

Deepcool Captain 240Pro V2

Vortex Race 3 Cherry Mx Red

Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB

Usually there are some for liek $60 at some department stores that hold just a small but of air, it's better than buying aerosol.

This could also be an alternative: http://www.canlessair.com/

I know there are some members that use those, and they work pretty well.

Perfect! Are these available in the UK? It says 'currently unavailable' on Amazon

My PC:

Perfect! Are these available in the UK? It says 'currently unavailable' on Amazon

They may be, you can try buying them from Europe but shipping (and import?) There should be a retailer there that sells them,

I always have used an air compressor, but make sure to drain the tank and/or have a dryer in the system to combat condensation on the sensitive parts (or just don't power the PC up five seconds after blowing the junk out). My two compressors bring the air in the tanks up to 8-10 atmospheres of pressure. Letting air back out of a nozzle drops its temp to a point where the releative humidity hits saturation and you get liquid water. I live in a very dry climate and it is still noticeable. Note that I do have a pressure regulator after the tanks, and that 30psi or so as mentioned above is great for blowing dust out of a PC...don't blast it with 10 atmospheres.

Air cans for cleaning have no water in them, huge plus.

I find air compressors so useful I have two of them (just because one is so big it is a PITA to move), but this is all tool/automotive related. Unless you want to do some crazy case mods with a die grinder or something, I see little reason to recommend buying one just for cleaning your PC. I did, however, purchase my first little one because I could not justify spending 1$ at the gas station every week when I was in highschool to top off a leaky tire and have found they only get more useful as you collect fittings/tools for different tasks. Hmm, that makes me think of a little adaptor i made to check for leaks in the intake track of a turbo engine...5 mins and I could modify it to check for leaks on a custom water loop without having to fill it up! See all i had to do was write this post and BAM, a new use for an air compressor that is even PC related :D

I use an air compressor in the garage. Not a fan of compressed air, bad for the environment. Except of course that "Hurricane Canless Air" that was mentioned before.

Enthoo Primo - ASUS Maximus Formula VII - 4790k 4.8ghz 1.28v - EK Supremacy Evo Clean - 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical - 1000w EVGA Supernova Gold - 2x Alphacool Monsta Rads in push/pull - 2x Galaxy 780 HoF with EK waterblock

Build Log http://imgur.com/a/UV6Wh Just want to warn everyone, my build log is pretty mediocre.

I use the Metro Vacuum ED500 at work. Worked so well we got like 4 of them.

We have been using them for the past 4 years A LOT. Never disappoints. A must buy if you have a lot of systems to clean.

The downside is:

-> NOISY. It's a super powerful blower basically, so it is expected to be loud. But something to perhaps consider, as a compressor just loud when you charge the container, then you just release air. So for example, if you have a shop, you may want to charge it in the morning of something, and during the day your just release the air when needed. The above unit might be too loud for clients coming in.

It's basically one of those powerful hand dryers, but in your hand, with an addon to have a small whole to blast air like no tomorrow.

The device does include a filter at the bottom, which might need casual cleaning. The filter is nice, as it prevents for taking dusty air in teh room from a previously cleaned or currently cleaned computer to go back in, and be blowed out to the computer. That would defeat the purpose.

Please note, and this applied to air cans as well, be sure to hold your fans when cleaning. Too many times I see people not do that, so the fan spins with the powerful air jet it get to speed over to what the fan was supposed to go, and that usually break the fan. It will either stop working, or the motor of the fan will get loud (partially broken).

It's okay to use the compressor, just don't let the fans spin under the air pressure. (dang, I was too late, well anyway,

)

is wont hurt the fans to blow them out you dont have to keep them still

Thanks all!

Buying an air compressor is definitely something I'll consider in future, currently I have no money (I don't have a job yet) so I can't buy one anytime soon. For Now I'll just stick to canned air unless I can find that O2 Hurricane thing in the UK. Thanks for your help everyone  :)

My PC:

Yea I broke a few fans air can and air blower. You have to hold them. It's not a problem to do, just put your finger before blowing. The problem is in laptops that have their fan hard to access. It's not that you CAN'T do it. You just have to pass on the fan fast, you can't hold it blowing air on a fan. That's the difference.

Well, the fan might become a small electricity generator if you spin the blades fast enough. Although, I've never seen fans do that (neither having the static electricity from vacuum cleaning fry something in the system), but hell, better safe than sorry.

Well, the fan might become a small electricity generator if you spin the blades fast enough. Although, I've never seen fans do that (neither having the static electricity from vacuum cleaning fry something in the system), but hell, better safe than sorry.

True i would use electric leaf blower

Oh, and I use Datavac ED500 (220V version, anyways) instead of a compressor (mostly because I'm too lazy to move my rig to the compressor and back each time I want to clean it). Less powerful, but much better than canned air or Hurricane Oduster.

This. My house is ridiculously dusty and this cleans dust very well.

CPU: 4770k @ 4.6 MOBO: Asus Maximus VI Formula RAM: G-Skill Trident X 16GB @ 1866 COOLER: EK Custom Loop (Supremacy/780 Block/360mm/280mm/MCP35X/Bitspower Res) GPU: Galaxy GTX 780 HOF @1425  STORAGE: 120GB/240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 2TB WD Black, 3TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: EVGA Supenova 1000G2 Case: Corsair 750D with 140mm Akasa Vipers MONITOR: Asus VG248QE

Thanks all!

Buying an air compressor is definitely something I'll consider in future, currently I have no money (I don't have a job yet) so I can't buy one anytime soon. For Now I'll just stick to canned air unless I can find that O2 Hurricane thing in the UK. Thanks for your help everyone  :)

If you do get the Hurricane make sure it's the "industrial" version, it will have a gray trigger instead of a black one. From what I've heard the normal unit just isn't strong enough to do anything.

And I don't know if they ship to UK but you could try http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f162/?pfm=Search&t=hurricane%202%20canless%20air%20system