Good control layout for flight simulator?

I'm making a flight simulator with Attack 3 Logitech joystick support, but since it has no throttle control I enabled users to use racing pedals for spoilers and throttle (L2 spoilers, R2 throttle). But, this means the player needs to constantly keep his/her foot on the gas while flying. Is this good or do I need another way to accommodate this?

The Attack 3 has a throttle. It's the dial at the back of the base, behind the stick itself. 

Pedals for throttle control is an absolutely terrible solution, because it's another peripheral you're requiring players to have, and if they have pedals they should be used for rudder in a flight simulator, not throttle. 

Edit: I misread this initially and assumed you were using one pedal for throttle increase and one pedal for throttle decrease. What you're actually doing is even worse. Spoilers could be literally any button, they're a binary deployed/not deployed control, using an axis for them is bananas. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 hours ago, Middcore said:

The Attack 3 has a throttle. It's the dial at the back of the base, behind the stick itself. 

Pedals for throttle control is an absolutely terrible solution, because it's another peripheral you're requiring players to have, and if they have pedals they should be used for rudder in a flight simulator, not throttle. 

Edit: I misread this initially and assumed you were using one pedal for throttle increase and one pedal for throttle decrease. What you're actually doing is even worse. Spoilers could be literally any button, they're a binary deployed/not deployed control, using an axis for them is bananas. 

What about others who only have a yoke and racing gear but not a throttle quadrant? (On ebay there are yoke-only listings.) And what I mean by spoilers is speedbrakes which are analog.

15 minutes ago, 38034580 said:

What about others who only have a yoke and racing gear but not a throttle quadrant? (On ebay there are yoke-only listings.) And what I mean by spoilers is speedbrakes which are analog.

A person who has a yoke without a throttle built into it is likely a hardcore flight sim enthusiast who also has a separate throttle quadrant, and would be the last type of person to tolerate a "gas pedal" for throttle. 

If you are making a flight sim with such a degree of realism that analog speed brakes would actually be modeled, you should understand why gas pedal throttle control is out of the question.

Simply making the numbers 1-0 on the keyboard set the throttle in 10% increments would be preferable.

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

24 minutes ago, Middcore said:

A person who has a yoke without a throttle built into it is likely a hardcore flight sim enthusiast who also has a separate throttle quadrant, and would be the last type of person to tolerate a "gas pedal" for throttle. 

If you are making a flight sim with such a degree of realism that analog speed brakes would actually be modeled, you should understand why gas pedal throttle control is out of the question.

Simply making the numbers 1-0 on the keyboard set the throttle in 10% increments would be preferable.

Redbird Flight Simulator Alloy Yoke (sportys.com) This is an example of a standalone yoke (no throttle and pedals) Also connecting a controller to the game will cause it to ignore keyboard inputs.

22 minutes ago, 38034580 said:

Redbird Flight Simulator Alloy Yoke (sportys.com) This is an example of a standalone yoke (no throttle and pedals)

Why do you think I need an example? I'm well aware of these things, I've been playing flight simulators on PC on and off for about 25 years. I am saying that people who spent 800 on a yoke will also buy a throttle and pedals.

22 minutes ago, 38034580 said:

Also connecting a controller to the game will cause it to ignore keyboard inputs.

Horrible, horrible idea.

Have you played any PC flight simulators ever?

6 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Why do you think I need an example? I'm well aware of these things, I've been playing flight simulators on PC on and off for about 25 years. I am saying that people who spent 800 on a yoke will also buy a throttle and pedals.

Horrible, horrible idea.

Have you played any PC flight simulators ever?

I only played mobile flight simulators. I found a cheaper yoke only set: Amazon.com: Honeycomb Alpha Flight Controls Yoke & Switch Panel : Video Games

On 12/3/2022 at 7:54 PM, 38034580 said:

I only played mobile flight simulators. I found a cheaper yoke only set: Amazon.com: Honeycomb Alpha Flight Controls Yoke & Switch Panel : Video Games

So with the Logitech attack 3 joystick you first mentioned you can get away with have any two buttons opposite from each other as the rudder control and then have a single or pair of buttons to control spoiler/speedbraks. In the attached picture I have the red circles and rudder controls and then the green as spoiler control options. Either have the base buttons as up/down or stick buttons as up/down or even one of the the stick buttons and a single button control for spoiler movement.

And then with the separate yoke controller example, you'll need a separate throttle and separate peddle quadrant to get the controls necessary for PC flight sims that your wanting to achieve.

Or you can go the route I did and get the Logitech x52 pro or non pro option which has a flight stick with rudder control ithe the twisting of the stick and a throttle control with it.

https://a.co/d/3elUw6Q

Screenshot_20221211-141401__01.jpg