Jump to content

Scammed by Amazon as a first Party?

Zanuark
 Share

I purchased an MSI 3090 for about 1600 from Amazon, sold and fulfilled by Amazon on November 25th for about 1600. I know it was cheaper over the summer, but the only reason I couldn't buy it over the summer when it was cheapest and I could have gotten it was for personal reasons. It was out for delivery today, when I suddenly noticed it went to expected delivery: December 21. I chatted with customer support to ask what was going on, and asked if there was a way to expedite it from perhaps a third party on their end. In the middle of this I saw that Dec. 21 was the earliest a third party reseller could deliver. I then noticed later that the delivery got pushed further back and a new reseller was showing on new. Coincidentally, when I checked returns the status went to, "Not Yet Shipped, we'll let you know when it ships." When I pointed this out to the customer service rep I was talking to, he spent the next hour telling me to cancel, and then go buy a 3060. I wanted the 3090 for both 3d modeling and for heavily modded skyrim vr, the like, which can outpace the available VRAM of a 3080ti, so I told them no repeatedly do not cancel. Eventually got someone else to talk to, who assured me they wouldn't cancel the order. Order hasn't been canceled as of this posting, and if something comes up that works, then I'll cancel.

 

I contacted msi through their emails acs@msi.com and USsales@msi.com requesting for help, but from someone on the outside looking in, this seems like some sort of scam. It looks like Amazon listed an MSI 3090 during their black friday sales week just to get people to buy it when they don't own a single unit. The charge hasn't been processed yet by my bank so I expect it to get canceled, but I'm at a loss as to what to do. All my PC parts got delivered back home while I finish up the semester, and my last academic commitment ends next Friday so I could go home and build next Saturday. Now all I have for graphics is integrated intel graphics on a 12700k to power a 2k ultra wide monitor. Is there anything else I can do?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Cancel the Amazon order and buy somewhere else. That's about it. Amazon way underbought for that promo and they aren't sure they'll be able to fill all the orders, hence their shifting you to different resellers and their CSR pushing you to switch to a 3060.

My PC is called the Funcooker. If you don't get it, look up the reference, then watch the show. It's gold.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, Zanuark said:

I purchased an MSI 3090 for about 1600 from Amazon, sold and fulfilled by Amazon on November 25th for about 1600. I know it was cheaper over the summer, but the only reason I couldn't buy it over the summer when it was cheapest and I could have gotten it was for personal reasons. It was out for delivery today, when I suddenly noticed it went to expected delivery: December 21. I chatted with customer support to ask what was going on, and asked if there was a way to expedite it from perhaps a third party on their end. In the middle of this I saw that Dec. 21 was the earliest a third party reseller could deliver. I then noticed later that the delivery got pushed further back and a new reseller was showing on new. Coincidentally, when I checked returns the status went to, "Not Yet Shipped, we'll let you know when it ships." When I pointed this out to the customer service rep I was talking to, he spent the next hour telling me to cancel, and then go buy a 3060. I wanted the 3090 for both 3d modeling and for heavily modded skyrim vr, the like, which can outpace the available VRAM of a 3080ti, so I told them no repeatedly do not cancel. Eventually got someone else to talk to, who assured me they wouldn't cancel the order. Order hasn't been canceled as of this posting, and if something comes up that works, then I'll cancel.

 

I contacted msi through their emails acs@msi.com and USsales@msi.com requesting for help, but from someone on the outside looking in, this seems like some sort of scam. It looks like Amazon listed an MSI 3090 during their black friday sales week just to get people to buy it when they don't own a single unit. The charge hasn't been processed yet by my bank so I expect it to get canceled, but I'm at a loss as to what to do. All my PC parts got delivered back home while I finish up the semester, and my last academic commitment ends next Friday so I could go home and build next Saturday. Now all I have for graphics is integrated intel graphics on a 12700k to power a 2k ultra wide monitor. Is there anything else I can do?

you can try to buy from microcenter or b and h and cancel the order

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Cancel the Amazon order and buy somewhere else. That's about it. Amazon way underbought for that promo and they aren't sure they'll be able to fill all the orders, hence their shifting you to different resellers and their CSR pushing you to switch to a 3060.

Could you recommend amazon warehouse by any chance? That's the only place I can think to look that I at least get a guarantee of money back if I don't get a working gpu since the closest microcenters dont carry 3090s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Zanuark said:

Could you recommend amazon warehouse by any chance? That's the only place I can think to look that I at least get a guarantee of money back if I don't get a working gpu since the closest microcenters dont carry 3090s.

The Amazon RMA team's handbook:

Flowcharts(1).thumb.png.0789fdce20df0a76736370affff1e946.png

 

Seriously, as long as you have free returns on your side, there are worse places to buy a used GPU from. Like Newegg.

My PC is called the Funcooker. If you don't get it, look up the reference, then watch the show. It's gold.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, kb5zue said:

Buying a GPU from like Newegg is like banging a lady of the night with a torn condom. You might be ok this time, but sooner or later you're getting herpes.

My PC is called the Funcooker. If you don't get it, look up the reference, then watch the show. It's gold.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Zanuark said:

Could you recommend amazon warehouse by any chance? That's the only place I can think to look that I at least get a guarantee of money back if I don't get a working gpu since the closest microcenters dont carry 3090s.

Buy it from NVIDIA.  $1100.

 

https://store.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/store/?page=1&limit=9&locale=en-us&search=3090ti

 

NVIDIA agreed with its partners to sell all of the 3090ti stock.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, aisle9 said:

Buying a GPU from like Newegg is like banging a lady of the night with a torn condom. You might be ok this time, but sooner or later you're getting herpes.

I have done a lot of shopping with Newegg and have never had any problems except one.  Bought an internal USB card to add several USB 3 ports to my machine and upon receipt it did not work.  Dropped a note to Newegg and they sent me another, presumed new, and just told me to take the non-working one and toss it out with yesterday's trash.  The new replacement card worked fine without any problems and have been using it for three years (I think).

 

Good Luck.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait wait wait WAIT WAIT WAIT a minute ?!?!?! LAst week on monday i was shopping for some stuff and saw a bunch of RTX 3080s and 3090s on newegg and now those greedy bastards from NV pulled them all out ?!?!?!

https://web.archive.org/web/20221128222137mp_/https://www.newegg.com/GPUs-Video-Graphics-Cards/SubCategory/ID-48?Tid=7709

I clearly remember the one that said available from 30.11.2022.

 

Ooooooh this is f*cked up. THIS.IS.F*CKED.UP!!! Really hope for another major crypto crash and the market getting flooded with 3080 for less than $400.

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | EVGA CLC 280 RGB | AsRock B450M Steel Legend |

| 2x8GB A-Data 3200MHz CL16 | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW2 | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 4TB WD Caviar Black+250GB Samsung Evo 870 Cache | Deepcool Matrexx 70 |

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/3/2022 at 12:07 AM, Zanuark said:

Is there anything else I can do?

Buy a 6900xt xtxh or 6950xt, they’re better anw 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×