1080Ti Power limiter fluctuating and crashing gpu drivers

measuring

Hey!
I have a 1080Ti and I started noticing this problem when I upgraded to a 180hz monitor rather than my old 60hz. Games started crashing and I narrowed it down to happening whenever the card was being pushed hard. Most games typically states that the d3d device hung, or that direct x has encountered an issue, etc. I also noticed that the power limiter was fluctuating and bouncing up and down in the msi afterburner graph.

I eventually switched back to my 60hz and have just been running games with the frame limiter set to 60 and that keeps things going most of the time as it's not as demanding on the gpu. But I'd like to solve the issue preferably.

• I've tested my graphics card in my friends computer without any issues, it feels like the problem could be local to my machine.

• I've cleaned out drivers and reinstalled them countless of times, different version etc without luck.

• I've tried running the gpu with a separate PSU plugged into gpu to make sure it's getting enough power and that had no effect either.

• I have not yet reinstalled my OS as I have a lot of software for work that I'd prefer not having to reinstall

• Nothing has been overclocked.

• Setting the power limit to 50% keeps power limiter to a stable 1. Anything above results in a fluctuating power limit

Hopefully someone will be able to help me figure out why this is happening.

Thank you in advance!

I'm attaching the log from msi afterburner bellow from two different occasions.

24FC0125-F427-455C-9E5A-20D9F897730F.jpeg

Have you done any benchmarking instead of games with fps caps? If its having that many issues while running with such a low core clock, prolly damaged or needs some pads replaced. Power limit isnt a problem, thats gonna happen regardless.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

3 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Have you done any benchmarking instead of games with fps caps? If its having that many issues while running with such a low core clock, prolly damaged or needs some pads replaced. Power limit isnt a problem, thats gonna happen regardless.

I have run benchmarks and they don't seem to be causing any crashes. But the above graph is in a game with no fps limit at all and the car being pushed as hard as it wants.

I would assume the card is damaged, but when I tried running the same game with my card in a friends pc. No issues at all. So that leads me to believe the card itself might not be faulty?

Just now, measuring said:

I have run benchmarks and they don't seem to be causing any crashes. But the above graph is in a game with no fps limit at all and the car being pushed as hard as it wants.

I would assume the card is damaged, but when I tried running the same game with my card in a friends pc. No issues at all. So that leads me to believe the card itself might not be faulty?

The card isnt running as hard as it wants, the core clock is down quite a bit and the temp reflects the same. If my pascal cards run those temps, they will boost to 1900-2000 with stock power and voltage limits

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 hour ago, Mick Naughty said:

The card isnt running as hard as it wants, the core clock is down quite a bit and the temp reflects the same. If my pascal cards run those temps, they will boost to 1900-2000 with stock power and voltage limits

Ahh, you have a point sir!

So the gpu itself could be within acceptable ranges, but another component on the card might be getting overheated?

i did try setting the fan speed to a constant 100% and sounding like a jet taking off, it   did in fact make the game run.

I actually think i might’ve accidentally used the picture from when I set my power limit to 50%.
i did a new test and I updated with the correct results above!