I think my center channel speaker is broken, can I just change it for another model and brand?

Hi,

I'm having a hard time describing the problem I have with my 5.1 home theater setup but here it goes : During a loud/high note part of someone talking, I will hear like a resonating sound/vibration/buzz, likes it's peaking but on the high frequency only, it's not like a harsh cut off like audio peaking would normally sound i thnink? With the little research I was able to do, I think the problem might be that the tweeter of the speaker is broken or something like that, but I can't seem to be able to remove the grill to check. So I'm thinking of buying only a new center channel speaker to replace it and hope it solves my proble.  Or do I need to buy like a whole new set of 5.1 speakers?

The center speaker is (and the rest of the set) : Samsung PS-AC720s

My AV receiver that I bought like a year or two ago (recommandation from this forum!) : Yamaha AX-V385

I'm thinking of grabing the Sony SS-CS8 center channel speaker since there's currently a deal on it for cyber monday. I guess I could also buy the matching left and right channel speakers to match with it if I really need to, but I hope I could at least keep the surround sound ones and the subwoofer.

Thanks, hope someone can help me!

yes you can use a different brand of speaker
i run a jbl center, yamaha fronts, fluance surrounds.

i highly recommend a good center. the center is primary sound, outside of the left and right.

i went from a similar speaker to the Sony SS-CS8 to a JBL Stage 135 and the sound improvements was impressive

1 hour ago, circeseye said:

yes you can use a different brand of speaker
i run a jbl center, yamaha fronts, fluance surrounds.

i highly recommend a good center. the center is primary sound, outside of the left and right.

i went from a similar speaker to the Sony SS-CS8 to a JBL Stage 135 and the sound improvements was impressive

Thanks a lot for your answer! I was recommended a Paradigm Monitor SE 2000C, i think i'll go with that for my new center channel speaker, I'll keep the samsung for now for the rest and i might upgrade later my L/R ones