Can someone explain which of those swiches are good?

MindArlekin

image.png.9073cbd277243818e6953374423edb47.png

I'm a relative noob in mechanical keyboards.

I modified a cheap chinese one couple of years ago, by resoldering switches from Outemu to lubbed Gateron browns, and swapping all LEDs on PCB to soft white ones.

Since then I used it extensively, but It seems that its death is nigh, because every one key now has a quite decent chance to either not detect keypress or do double-press.

I can't open it up and fix it, because I currently live 1500 miles from home, and don't have a soldering iron and other tools on hand. Besides, I think there is a decent chance that the controller is the culprit of all those problems, and even with tools, I can't fix it anyway.

So, I decided to buy myself a keyboard kit with a PCB capable of hot-swapping switches. I found one, that I like, but the seller also can provide different switches with this kit. But I kinda don't know what to choose.

My previous choice of switches was, admittedly, not what I expected (now I understand, that "tactile" Broun switch is kinda a joke in a community), so this time I did some research, and currently I'm leaning towards Gateron CAP Yellow as a safe bet because I can understand what Gateron means) But maybe within those options, there are better ones? Except for clicky switches, I don't want to be strangled by my neighbors) I'm looking for something linear\tactile.

Could somebody, who knows this stuff, help me with this choice?

That product page is an absolute disaster.

Ice mint, MX Bauhinia, Deep sea mute, Spun sugar, Avocado, and Ice cream are all keycap colors. Why are they mixed with the switches? Who knows!

G PRO white: Linear.

G CAP white: Don't exist? Maybe mislabeled two stage spring G PRO whites? Maybe mislabeled G CAP milky yellows? Both are linear.

Kailh white: Probably Kailh BOX white, super clicky, also they spelled Kailh wrong.

G CAP yellow: Maybe G CAP milky yellow or golden yellow switches? Depends on what the other one is.

All of these switches are potentially 3-pin designs as well. Make sure the board itself is 5-pin compatible or you're going to be blocked out of a lot of switch options if you ever want to change switches.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Desktop:

Intel Core i7-11700K | Noctua NH-D15S chromax.black | ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming WiFi  | 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 MHz | ASUS TUF Gaming RTX 3080 | 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 PCIe 4.0 SSD | 2TB WD Blue M.2 SATA SSD | Seasonic Focus GX-850 Fractal Design Meshify C Windows 10 Pro

Laptop:

HP Omen 15 | AMD Ryzen 7 5800H | 16 GB 3200 MHz | Nvidia RTX 3060 | 1 TB WD Black PCIe 3.0 SSD | 512 GB Micron PCIe 3.0 SSD | Windows 11

6 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

All of these switches are potentially 3-pin designs as well. Make sure the board itself is 5-pin compatible or you're going to be blocked out of a lot of switch options if you ever want to change switches.

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802899723897.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.78417c08PSeUtv&ad_pvid=2022112214273436577645968150012322367_2&s=p&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=UShttps://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256802899723897.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.78417c08PSeUtv&ad_pvid=2022112214273436577645968150012322367_2&s=p&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa4itemAdapt&_randl_shipto=US

Photos that were posted by customers and sellers pictures of a board showing 5 pin holes in the board, so it seems that it is a 5-pin compatible one.

6 hours ago, BobVonBob said:

That product page is an absolute disaster.

Yea, usual stuff for aliexpress) But I shop there for too long, so things like misspellings and wrong translations don't bother me anymore.