NAS, HDD Temp? Replace fans? (Lian Li PC-Q25)

Mihle
Go to solution Solved by leadeater,
3 hours ago, Mihle said:

Ah, ok, if you say so 🙂

Thank you.

Well it's all relative and down to chance right haha. Cooler is better but below 50C operating temperature I personally wouldn't worry about so long as it's a WD Red or Seagate Ironwolf etc. Laptop HDD tended to have very high operating temperatures too, that along with vibrations and shock cause them to fail way fast.

I have a NAS in Lian LI PC-Q25 with stock fans, the HDDs is idling at about 36c but gets 46 ish or something with parity check.
(But I think fan speed is linked to system temp and not HDD temp)

I have heard temp is fine as long as it doesn't stay above 45c regularly, is that correct?

I dont think I care that much about noise, but is there a point in getting new fans for it? Would it make much difference? (or only in noise?)

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

A little bit of airflow across the drives makes a quite a difference. Honestly they don't even need to be loud fans either. In my NAS I have fans in front and rear of the drives.

truenas9.jpg

your motherboard likely has a bios setting for controlling fans, set the case fans to full speed and see if this improves things. If you do need to replace the fans, the Arctic P12 PWM PST CO fans are quiet at all but the highest of fan speeds, have good static pressure, which is critical for blowing air through obstructions like hard drives and are daisy chainable up to 5 fans controlled off of one header, and they are ball bearing for that peace of mind. heres a video of the sound they make. i have the revision after this one, and the resonation that can be heard at certain rpms in this video isnt there in the new revision of these fans. 

10 minutes ago, OhioYJ said:

A little bit of airflow across the drives makes a quite a difference. Honestly they don't even need to be loud fans either. In my NAS I have fans in front and rear of the drives.

truenas9.jpg

Case can't fit more fans I don't think, but do changing out the stock Lian li fans matter?

Does it matter that it's idling at the temps mentioned?

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 

-Stephen Hawking

39 minutes ago, Mihle said:

Case can't fit more fans I don't think, but do changing out the stock Lian li fans matter?

Does it matter that it's idling at the temps mentioned?

Personally I want my drives running as cool as possible (without getting ridiculous). Those are obviously not factory mount points in my picture...  I even make sure on my regular desktops my hard drives have fans for airflow across them under the PSU shrouds:

7700k6.jpg

18 hours ago, Mihle said:

I have heard temp is fine as long as it doesn't stay above 45c regularly, is that correct?

If it's a NAS HDD I think those are rated for 55C ambient. I've had SCSI HDDs so hot they burn to touch and still work for years.

Anyway I don't think you have much to be concerned about.

12 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

truenas9.jpg

What case is this? Been looking for surgery one for 8 drives and I currently have a define r5 for me but they are expensive now. 

4 hours ago, leadeater said:

If it's a NAS HDD I think those rate rated for 55C ambient. I've had SCSI HDDs so hot they burn to touch and still work for years.

Anyway I don't think you have much to be concerned about.

Ah, ok, if you say so 🙂

Thank you.

-Stephen Hawking

3 hours ago, Mihle said:

Ah, ok, if you say so 🙂

Thank you.

Well it's all relative and down to chance right haha. Cooler is better but below 50C operating temperature I personally wouldn't worry about so long as it's a WD Red or Seagate Ironwolf etc. Laptop HDD tended to have very high operating temperatures too, that along with vibrations and shock cause them to fail way fast.

8 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

What case is this? Been looking for surgery one for 8 drives and I currently have a define r5 for me but they are expensive now. 

That is is a Define R5. I removed a bunch of the panels so it could actually breath. The front panel (door) I drilled a bunch of holes in so the front fans could actually get fresh air (I did sort of drill them in a panel, so it doesn't look completely awful). Maybe one of these days, I'll just cut a hole in it and replace it with some mesh (it might look better), but it's a NAS that sits in the corner, out of sight, so it works for the moment.

3 hours ago, OhioYJ said:

That is is a Define R5. I removed a bunch of the panels so it could actually breath. The front panel (door) I drilled a bunch of holes in so the front fans could actually get fresh air (I did sort of drill them in a panel, so it doesn't look completely awful). Maybe one of these days, I'll just cut a hole in it and replace it with some mesh (it might look better), but it's a NAS that sits in the corner, out of sight, so it works for the moment.

Ah that makes sense. I didn't mod mine as much but did remove the front panel too. 

I used Noctua fans on the front and one on the side as intake and just one on the back for exhaust. Even though it is heavily positive air flow it keeps everything cool. 

2 hours ago, m9x3mos said:

Ah that makes sense. I didn't mod mine as much but did remove the front panel too. 

I used Noctua fans on the front and one on the side as intake and just one on the back for exhaust. Even though it is heavily positive air flow it keeps everything cool. 

Really I didn't mod it much, other than remove, removable panels. As mentioned I did make sure the front fans could get a bit more air flow than just the side vents, but I did leave the front door in place:

truenas8.jpg

The fans that you saw above on the opposite side of the drive cage, are actually just held in place with zip ties. They do not interfere with removing the drives either. I've used this same method in many cases:

truenas9.jpg

The side fan, I'm using to cool my HBA card. (It also helps cool the LAN card I guess, which I added a heat sink to): Just to make sure the air flow was fairly concentrated on the HBA card, I did space it out some.

truenas10.jpg