Seriously Microsoft?

alex75871
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Your system can install Windows 11 as you have TPM 2.0. You just fall into the "if you have any problem, you are on your own" side of things. But it will install just fine. Just, not tested by MS. Which is fine as nothing really changed in the desktop CPU side of things since ages until recently with Zen and Intel 12th gen.

The real issues are:

• The issue is that manufacturers don't want to support older hardware. Which is important, as some had issues that needed to be solved, like Ryzen 5000 series had performance issues when TPM is enabled (regardless of OS).
  • Windows 11 uses security technologies that have a performance impact. Newer CPUs have technologies to offload such tasks to reduce/illuminate the performance drop from those security features. (Depends on the CPU. Typically, newer is better, and in some cases, the CPU is fast enough to make the performance drop negligible) 

So, in your case, all you'll have is a warning about the upgrade process. Now Microsoft does say that you may not get updates, but this is more legal stuff to protect themselves in the case something big happens and a fix needs to be done which involves using newer CPU instructions. Or would gain a lot of performance to do. For example, Windows 11 22H2 update is the last version of Windows 11 that runs on older ARM64 arch CPUs. So, the after that version, Snapdragon 810, 820, Pi4 and others will BSOD at startup (Those aren't supported system s of Win11). This is unlikely to happen on x86 world, as it isn't in a situation of desperation to get things running smoothly. 

I have a supermicro workstation from late 2017. It has Kaby Lake processor and genuine Supermicro TPM 2.0 module installed and I cannot install Windows 11?!!!??!?

The health checkup application has green ticks for everything except the processor... What technology is missing on the processor to prevent Windows 11? This machine is still very capable and I want to run Windows 11!

Supermicro X11SAE-M Motherboard (latest BIOS)

Supermicro TPM-9665V-C

Intel Xeon E3-1225 v6 CPU

16 GB (2x8) 2400 ECC Micron RAM

250 GB Samsung Evo SSD

it's clearly missing the 'Genuine you should pay more money for new hardware' feature.

grab the whatever tool or trick it is to bypass the checks.. it'll probably just work..

By default, the Windows installer obeys a CPU whitelist that starts at 8th gen.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/minimum/supported/windows-11-supported-intel-processors

Use Rufus to create an installation drive. It can patch the installer so it will ignore the CPU requirements. Just remember that it's a solution "for now" that won't necessarily keep working forever.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

7 minutes ago, alex75871 said:

I want to run Windows 11

No, you really don't. It offers very little in the way of improvements, a whole lot of questionable decisions and even more invasive telemetry from MS.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Your system can install Windows 11 as you have TPM 2.0. You just fall into the "if you have any problem, you are on your own" side of things. But it will install just fine. Just, not tested by MS. Which is fine as nothing really changed in the desktop CPU side of things since ages until recently with Zen and Intel 12th gen.

The real issues are:

• The issue is that manufacturers don't want to support older hardware. Which is important, as some had issues that needed to be solved, like Ryzen 5000 series had performance issues when TPM is enabled (regardless of OS).
  • Windows 11 uses security technologies that have a performance impact. Newer CPUs have technologies to offload such tasks to reduce/illuminate the performance drop from those security features. (Depends on the CPU. Typically, newer is better, and in some cases, the CPU is fast enough to make the performance drop negligible) 

So, in your case, all you'll have is a warning about the upgrade process. Now Microsoft does say that you may not get updates, but this is more legal stuff to protect themselves in the case something big happens and a fix needs to be done which involves using newer CPU instructions. Or would gain a lot of performance to do. For example, Windows 11 22H2 update is the last version of Windows 11 that runs on older ARM64 arch CPUs. So, the after that version, Snapdragon 810, 820, Pi4 and others will BSOD at startup (Those aren't supported system s of Win11). This is unlikely to happen on x86 world, as it isn't in a situation of desperation to get things running smoothly. 

On 11/26/2022 at 4:53 AM, GoodBytes said:

The real issues are:

Thank you for the in-depth explanation. Marked as solution.