RX 6900XT vs 3070Ti (same price)

Vampire21

AORUS Radeon™ RX 6900 XT GAMING OC 16G vs ZOTAC GAMING GeForce RTX 3070 Ti Trinity OC 8GB. There is a deal for the RX 6900XT just for $730 ($15 more expensive than the 3070ti).
Which is better in terms of performance, cooling, etc... with 1080p 144hz monitor? Is the Ray Tracing really worse in the RX than RTX? Also if there is any issues specifically for the editions of the cards, please mention it.
One more thing, I'm gonna buy the GPU before the rest of the new build because of the Black Friday deals and this is my current build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/W2jGRv
Will I face any issues regarding performance as bottleneck or overload PSU Wattage? (knowing that I'm gonna upgrade all of build within a few months)

24 minutes ago, Vampire21 said:

Is the Ray Tracing really worse in the RX than RTX?

In my testing, the 6900 XT in RT is on par to ever so slightly worse than a 3080, so yes it is weak compared to its raster counterpart from Nvidia, but it's not necessarily bad until you get down to the low end options, and it's better than the price similar 3070 Ti. 

Unless you really need CUDA, get the 6900 XT. 

On 11/24/2022 at 8:53 PM, Pixelfie said:

6900 XT 100%. But yes, I'd definitely upgrade the PSU.

On 11/24/2022 at 9:14 PM, RONOTHAN## said:

In my testing, the 6900 XT in RT is on par to ever so slightly worse than a 3080, so yes it is weak compared to its raster counterpart from Nvidia, but it's not necessarily bad until you get down to the low end options, and it's better than the price similar 3070 Ti. 

Unless you really need CUDA, get the 6900 XT. 

Thank you guys I bought it today but I haven't installed it yet. Should I install it with 600w white 80+ cooler master PSU+ i7 7700K or I'll experience issues with it and I should get better PSU first? If I should get better PSU, will Seasonic 750w gold be enough or better to go for 800w cooler master (knowing that I will upgrade to i5 13th or 12th gen)

6 minutes ago, Vampire21 said:

600w white 80+ cooler master PSU

garbage PSU, do not buy

6 minutes ago, Vampire21 said:

Seasonic 750w gold

depends on model but that should be plenty, if you have it. the 800w cooler master PSU, again depends on model but that’s plenty

On 11/24/2022 at 1:51 PM, Vampire21 said:

One more thing, I'm gonna buy the GPU before the rest of the new build because of the Black Friday deals and this is my current build:

disregard this post if you saw it i thought you meant you were in the process of buying a 7700k system lol since it’s a pc you already have you’re fine

23 minutes ago, Vampire21 said:

Should I install it with 600w white 80+ cooler master PSU+ i7 7700K or I'll experience issues with it and I should get better PSU first? If I should get better PSU, will Seasonic 750w gold be enough or better to go for 800w cooler master (knowing that I will upgrade to i5 13th or 12th gen)

Give it a try. Any issues you would experience would be if you were running the CPU and GPU at 100% of their capabilities with some sort of burn test/benchmark. It will likely be fine for most games. If the PC outrights shuts down(not reboot), you'll know you are in a power deficient situation. I do recommend buying a new PSU regardless, though. It's better to be well above the max load of the PC than being borderline over it. But just installing the card right away and trying it out while waiting for the PSU? Go for it.

The card itself is rated for 300W power draw, the recommended PSU power is for TOTAL system and usually, someone getting a 6900xt would pair it with a similarly high end, high power CPU, hence why it's recommended to have something like 800W. You have an i7-7700k. A 91W TDP CPU. A bit of a far cry from a 12700k that is nearly 200W.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

19 minutes ago, Vampire21 said:

Thank you guys I bought it today but I haven't installed it yet. Should I install it with 600w white 80+ cooler master PSU+ i7 7700K or I'll experience issues with it and I should get better PSU first? If I should get better PSU, will Seasonic 750w gold be enough or better to go for 800w cooler master (knowing that I will upgrade to i5 13th or 12th gen)

If you're gonna be overclocking the 6900XT, honestly I'd want a 1000W PSU, since that card and a 13th gen i5 can pull a ton of power under full load and overclocked (though both do scale a fair bit when overclocked). If you're just trying to run the card at stock, the 750W can probably get you by, but I'd still want an 850W unit if you plan to upgrade to a 13600K. 

Do remember that you want to prioritize quality over power spec, a well reviewed 750W will do better than a poorly reviewed 1000W. Consult the PSU tier list to verify that the unit you're trying to buy is high rated. 

I would want to get a better PSU than the one you're currently running though, it's a very low end unit and it's not designed to handle the sustained power draw of a 6900 XT (300W at stock), and it's not designed to handle the amount of transient spikes that card can produce (momentary jumps to well over 600W). It doesn't even have enough 8 pin power connectors to be able to run the GPU.

2 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you're gonna be overclocking the 6900XT, honestly I'd want a 1000W PSU, since that card and a 13th gen i5 can pull a ton of power under full load and overclocked (though both do scale a fair bit when overclocked). If you're just trying to run the card at stock, the 750W can probably get you by, but I'd still want an 850W unit if you plan to upgrade to a 13600K. 

Do remember that you want to prioritize quality over power spec, a well reviewed 750W will do better than a poorly reviewed 1000W. Consult the PSU tier list to verify that the unit you're trying to buy is high rated. 

I would want to get a better PSU than the one you're currently running though, it's a very low end unit and it's not designed to handle the sustained power draw of a 6900 XT (300W at stock), and it's not designed to handle the amount of transient spikes that card can produce (momentary jumps to well over 600W). It doesn't even have enough 8 pin power connectors to be able to run the GPU.

I went to the PSU tier list and it's so complicated. I have been choosing PSU by brand like Seasonic is the best then EVGA, Thermaltake, Coolermaster, etc... For instance, XPG Core Reactor Gold is rated as A-tier gold while Cooler Master MWE Gold is rated as B-Tier gold even though it's 50$ more expensive in my country (but unfortunately XPG is out of stock). How should I choose PSU there anyway? For example, would a white or a blue A tier be better than gold B tier or what? I read the tier methodology and it's way too complicated for me to understand. It'd be really helpful if you provided a video explaining it.

14 minutes ago, Vampire21 said:

How should I choose PSU there anyway? For example, would a white or a blue A tier be better than gold B tier or what?

The worst A tier will be better than the best B die, so you realistically just want to focus on the position and not the color. 

If I were looking for a unit, I'd just be trying to get the cheapest A tier 850W+ unit, and if a gold/blue unit is only $5-10 more consider getting it instead depending on how flexible your budget it and whether you can use that $5-10 somewhere else in your build. I would go onto where ever you plan to buy a unit from and (assuming they have good filter options), sort price low to high with only 850W+ units, go through each unit and check where it's located, and quickly refer to the tier list to figure out which is the cheapest A tier unit you can find.