Windows 10 Not Using All Available Memory

NenHancer

So I recently upgraded a Ryzen 3 2200G CPU to a Ryzen 5 2600. After that is when this issue started. I have 32GB of DDR4 RAM and only showing 16GB usable.

Here's what I've tried:

- System Configuration > Boot > Advanced Options > Checked Maximum Memory (which then shows all my actual memory in the box). Rebooted. No luck.

-View advanced system settings > Advanced > (under Performance section) Settings > Adanced > (under Virtual Memory) > Change... > Uncheck 'Automatically manage paging file size for all drives' > Selected 'No paging file' > Clicked set. Then reboot prompt. Rebooted. Still no change

-Ran Windows Memory Diagnostic scan. No issues were found.

I read something about 'memory remapping' in the BIOS but I wasn't sure how to do that. My BIOS knowledge extends to XMP (which are not enabled btw due to my MOBO restraints), Boot order and the CSM/Secure Boot/ fTPM nonsense with Windows 11 (on another machine). So I have no clue how to go about doing this if that is my next step.

Here is the system:

MOBO: Gigabyte A320M-S2H

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 32GB (2X 16GB) at 3200MHz (I have not enabled XMP. Tried before and it crashed)

Storage: ADATA SU650 120GB M.2 SATA (I know... I know. But it was cheap and still works). Also have 2 2.5" SATA HDDs I had laying around for additional storage. Both 500GB

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

GPU: RTX 3060

PSU: Thermaltake SMART 600W

Also this my son's PC. I recently upgraded mine and gave him my Ryzen 5 2600. And games are now crashing on him unfortunately. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2 hours ago, NenHancer said:

Here's what I've tried:

- System Configuration > Boot > Advanced Options > Checked Maximum Memory (which then shows all my actual memory in the box). Rebooted. No luck.

Don't touch this setting, this is for driver development only (and special cases in software development).

-View advanced system settings > Advanced > (under Performance section) Settings > Adanced > (under Virtual Memory) > Change... > Uncheck 'Automatically manage paging file size for all drives' > Selected 'No paging file' > Clicked set. Then reboot prompt. Rebooted. Still no change

Page file size is the size of the file called pagefile, which extend your RAM when filled up, or need defragmentation of open space (OS takes care of this, it allows it to offload running programs and reload them to replace them in memory freeing up free space in single blocks. This is because data in RAM (running programs) can't be split into segments like storage data. It needs to be in a single block. Without page file, or too small one, can lead to situation where you are out of RAM to open a program, but you still have free space in your RAM, just not all in one block to take that newly open program, and pagefle might not be big enough to offload enough to disk to allow that new program to load in RAM to allow the CPU to execute it..

All to say, you are editing the wrong thing.

Ok. Good.

Check:

• Make sure your BIOS is on the latest version.
  • Make sure the RAM modules are well inserted into the motherboard.
  • Check for debris/large dust in the RAM slot, use compressed air to clear any debris. 
  • Try boosting the voltage of the RAM ever so slightly. See if it helps.
  • If not, then there is a good chance that one of the sticks is faulty or just not compatible with the system.

9 hours ago, NenHancer said:

So I recently upgraded a Ryzen 3 2200G CPU to a Ryzen 5 2600. After that is when this issue started. I have 32GB of DDR4 RAM and only showing 16GB usable.

Here's what I've tried:

I read something about 'memory remapping' in the BIOS but I wasn't sure how to do that. My BIOS knowledge extends to XMP (which are not enabled btw due to my MOBO restraints), Boot order and the CSM/Secure Boot/ fTPM nonsense with Windows 11 (on another machine). So I have no clue how to go about doing this if that is my next step.

Here is the system:

MOBO: Gigabyte A320M-S2H

RAM: Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 32GB (2X 16GB) at 3200MHz (I have not enabled XMP. Tried before and it crashed)

Storage: ADATA SU650 120GB M.2 SATA (I know... I know. But it was cheap and still works). Also have 2 2.5" SATA HDDs I had laying around for additional storage. Both 500GB

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600

GPU: RTX 3060

PSU: Thermaltake SMART 600W

Also this my son's PC. I recently upgraded mine and gave him my Ryzen 5 2600. And games are now crashing on him unfortunately. So any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Maybe try using only 1 stick in each of your slots and also go around with the other stick. This will let you know if any of your ram slots or ram sticks are dead.

Microsoft owns my soul.

Also, Dell is evil, but HP kinda nice.

21 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Don't touch this setting, this is for driver development only (and special cases in software development).

Page file size is the size of the file called pagefile, which extend your RAM when filled up, or need defragmentation of open space (OS takes care of this, it allows it to offload running programs and reload them to replace them in memory freeing up free space in single blocks. This is because data in RAM (running programs) can't be split into segments like storage data. It needs to be in a single block. Without page file, or too small one, can lead to situation where you are out of RAM to open a program, but you still have free space in your RAM, just not all in one block to take that newly open program, and pagefle might not be big enough to offload enough to disk to allow that new program to load in RAM to allow the CPU to execute it..

All to say, you are editing the wrong thing.

Ok. Good.

Check:

• Make sure your BIOS is on the latest version.
  • Make sure the RAM modules are well inserted into the motherboard.
  • Check for debris/large dust in the RAM slot, use compressed air to clear any debris. 
  • Try boosting the voltage of the RAM ever so slightly. See if it helps.
  • If not, then there is a good chance that one of the sticks is faulty or just not compatible with the system.

In response to me editing the wrong thing when I upgraded my personal rig to a Ryzen 7 5700G it wasn't showing all my available ram as well. I did this step and it actually fixed it so.. 🤷‍♂️ I dunno. But you probably know more about why that worked than me.

-BIOS is on the latest version. 

-Reinserted ram into dimm slots a few different times and swapped the slots as well. It only has 2 dimm slots on the board so it was pretty easy to rule out.

-I have not blown out with air. But I will try this.

-I'm actually an idiot when it comes to voltage. I've never understood what I'm doing there. But I can definitely give it a try after some googling.

-Pretty sure the RAM is totally fine. Was working perfectly before I made the CPU swap.

But I'll try cleaning out the slots and then if that doesn't work give the voltage a try. Thanks!

The only other thing I can think off, is that the CPU heatsink is not well mounted, where uneven pressure is creating an issue.

Or that the CPU is broken.

Easy to test: Put back your older CPU, and see if the 32GB is now working again,

Put back the newer CPU and see if it is broken again. If so, then probably CPU related.