Can you convert a WiFi signal back to ethernet?

Grummet
Go to solution Solved by SupaKomputa,

Answering the title question, yes you can, all you need is to set the router in a client / access mode.

This mode of operation is called wireless bridge.

Hello, I could use some guidance if anyone out there can help. Here's the situation: Our desktops and modem/router are currently located in the same room and connected via ethernet cables. The desktops have to move to a new room in the house, but the modem and router cannot move with them. I would like to avoid having to install WiFi cards in the desktops or rely on cheap USB WiFi adapters. Is there something I can get to place in the new location that can connect to the existing WiFi network and feed that signal out to 2-3 wired connections?

I understand I'm probably going to take a huge hit on speeds but that's okay. I'm mainly just trying to understand what I should be searching for online. Google keeps offering me links to WAP's which are not going to solve my problem (I think). I found some "wifi to ethernet" converters on Amazon but they either look cheap or only have one ethernet port. I'm also not a fan of Powerline Networking and would like to avoid that if possible.

1 minute ago, tjb-703 said:

Thank you for the reply, but I would like to avoid ethernet over power / powerline solutions. Basically I need a WAP but opposite; connect to the network via WiFi and output to wired connections.

Yeah Ethernet over power is the best option but you could get The same router you've already got and bridge them so the second one is a repeater.

Answering the title question, yes you can, all you need is to set the router in a client / access mode.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Most routers these days have an option to bridge to their own protocals and also release harware to make it easier, Look for (Your router Manufaturer) Extender.

9 minutes ago, SupaKomputa said:

Look like this is exactly what I need. Thank you! Also thank you for sharing that video!!