Modern games antialiasing causing minor trailing effect?

Matthew J Johnson

Something I've noticed with newer 3D titles is that on some older hardware is when you enable any kind of antialiasing and look at a really fast-moving object (Like a car or swinging your gun around) there are these very slight black trails that are reminiscent of the fast-moving object.  Yet when I disable any kind of antialiasing those trails go away, and everything is cleaner and fluid again.  The only exception I've found is if I enable super-sampling. 

The games I've tested: Forza Horizon 5, WarThunder, Wolfenstein II, Enlisted, and CyberPunk 2077.

What's your thoughts on this?  Is it just I'm using old hardware or is this happening to other users as well?  I'd like to hear more about some weird in game effects from others.

Edit: I use a 144hz laptop so it couldn't be refresh rate. 

Newer game usually use Temporal Anti-aliasing(TAA) which use previous and current frame to reduce jaggies. That usually cause the trailing effect a.k.a ghosting. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

8 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Newer game usually use Temporal Anti-aliasing(TAA) which use previous and current frame to reduce jaggies. That usually cause the trailing effect a.k.a ghosting. 

i could swear that depends also on the monitor... even monitor type, but you're right if TAA causes it, other AA shouldn't necessarily,but OP says "every" AA so I'm not really sure what's going on. 

for the record there's no visible trailing with TAA on my old Samsung monitor.  on my new msi monitor im not sure, but i don't think it's there either.

OP: i kinda need model/type of your monitor,  and preferably if it has any options (doubt laptop monitors do tho?)

9 hours ago, Matthew J Johnson said:

Is it just I'm using old hardware 

what are full specs of the hardware? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I also have a problem with ghosting in ACC. Doesn't matter which method of AA i use - KTAA, FXAA, TAA, Temporal Gen 5... All of them cause massive ghosting. Don't have the problem i other games really so was wondering what was going on?

| Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 Rev 7| AsRock X570 Steel Legend |

| 4x16GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo 4000MHz CL16 | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | Seasonic Focus GX-1000|

| 512GB A-Data XPG Spectrix S40G RGB | 2TB A-Data SX8200 Pro| Phanteks Eclipse G500A |

55 minutes ago, QuantumSingularity said:

I also have a problem with ghosting in ACC. Doesn't matter which method of AA i use - KTAA, FXAA, TAA, Temporal Gen 5... All of them cause massive ghosting. Don't have the problem i other games really so was wondering what was going on?

quick google tells me this is a game specific issue since at least 2018. 

but are you sure it's not also this? or something similar? 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity