Extreme Undervolting RTX 3090 bad for VRM?

adm0n
Go to solution Solved by TheDankKoosh,
1 hour ago, adm0n said:

Now that I have a picture for reference, I'd say all the capacitors, the inductors labeled 2R2 (one is at the lower right of the card) and the one chip in the top right. There seem to be specific holes in the cooler, that allow air to pass to those components.

From what I found out from googling, thanks to the pictures you provided is that:
Capacitors are usually rated to operate at ~105°C for around 2000h of operation. For every 10°C they operate cooler, their lifetime doubles approximately.
Inductors don't really need to be cooled, but since they are close to the powerstage, they usually can conduct quite a bit of heat away from it, which is why they are often cooled.

So I don't need to worry about the inductors, but should I still worry about the capacitors? I would like them to last quite a bit 😄

Running the card with that aggressive of an undervolt won't have any of the vrm components going above 60c ever, high end gpus like this will typically get 105-125c 5k-10k caps which would probably run this card for at least 20 years with occasional maintenance, I'd wager something else would die on the card first with heavy use. 

Hi,

I was looking to buy a RTX 4080 this generation, but seeing that it costs above 1500€ here, I instead opted to buy a used RTX 3090 for around 850€. I don't need that much performance, but I wanted to have above 12 GB of VRAM for productivity reasons. So I ended up with a Palit GeForce RTX 3090 GameRock. Since I don't need that much performance, I undervolted it. Currently I'm running it at 0.725V at 1500MHz with a power draw of around 220W.

My question is: If I play simple games like Rocket League, the card can go for a long time, without the fan even kicking in. Will this hurt the VRM in the long run? I sadly can't find any teardowns of the card, so I don't even know if the components on the card expect airflow, or if all important components are connected to the cooler as well.

Also, is there a tool to link the power consumption of the card to the fan speed? Ideally in combination with the temperature? Something like, start the fans if the power consumption is above 80W consistently for 10 seconds, but everything after that is controlled via the GPU temperature.

Thanks in advance 🙂

I'm not an expert, but,

VRM along other things is an electric component, such components are designed for a certain amount of power to run through them,

the components get hot because the power running through them, however, if the power or the tempature isn't too high it's perfectly fine.

RTX 3090 is a high end gaming card, the manufacturers keep in mind that the card components need to handle high power draw,

because who would buy a GPU that would die after couple of games of Rocket League? Nobody.

So basicaly, you should be fine, you can check temps of the card if you're worried, but I'm sure you're fine.

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

14 minutes ago, adm0n said:

so I don't even know if the components on the card expect airflow, or if all important components are connected to the cooler as well.

The VRAM on the back of the board use thermal pads to touch the backplate and use the backplate as the cooler for them.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/dominic-moass/palit-rtx-3090-gamerock-oc-review/2/

As long as you're not crashing or over heating, you'll be fine.

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

1 minute ago, podkall said:

I'm not an expert, but,

VRM along other things is an electric component, such components are designed for a certain amount of power to run through them,

the components get hot because the power running through them, however, if the power or the tempature isn't too high it's perfectly fine.

RTX 3090 is a high end gaming card, the manufacturers keep in mind that the card components need to handle high power draw,

because who would buy a GPU that would die after couple of games of Rocket League? Nobody.

So basicaly, you should be fine, you can check temps of the card if you're worried, but I'm sure you're fine.

I've just heard about cases, where exactly this was a problem. I think even Linus talked about it in a recent WAN show, But if I remember correctly it was about the 1000series. 

So I'm not sure if this is still a problem. Sadly there are no temperature sensors for the VRM, so I cannot check their temperature 😞

3 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

The VRAM on the back of the board use thermal pads to touch the backplate and use the backplate as the cooler for them.

https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/dominic-moass/palit-rtx-3090-gamerock-oc-review/2/

Thanks for the Link, I tried looking for something like this 🙂

But I was talking about the VRM, not the VRAM.

1 minute ago, adm0n said:

But I was talking about the VRM, not the VRAM.

VRMs are only on the front and use thermal pads to contact the black base plate of the cooler. 

image.png.8362e24c4e9971014619582e183dd508.png

Blue is VRM and red is VRAM. All 22 phases of VRM are on the front of the card.

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

3 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

VRMs are only on the front and use thermal pads to contact the black base plate of the cooler. 

image.png.8362e24c4e9971014619582e183dd508.png

Blue is VRM and red is VRAM. All 22 phases of VRM are on the front of the card.

This I understand. My problem is, that with the default fan curve, the fan only kicks in once in a while, cools down the card down to 30 degrees and then doesn't spin for the next 10 minutes. I'm scared that some of the components, that aren't connected to the heat sink, that expect there to be air flow, heat up too much under medium loads. I'm just not sure if this is a problem or not.

Just now, adm0n said:

This I understand. My problem is, that with the default fan curve, the fan only kicks in once in a while, cools down the card down to 30 degrees and then doesn't spin for the next 10 minutes. I'm scared that some of the components, that aren't connected to the heat sink, that expect there to be air flow, heat up too much under medium loads. I'm just not sure if this is a problem or not.

16 minutes ago, IkeaGnome said:

They are cooled even when the fans aren't spinning though. You're over thinking it. 

1 minute ago, adm0n said:

I'm scared that some of the components, that aren't connected to the heat sink

What components are those that you're worried about AND aren't connected to the heat sink?

Project Hot Box

Oppbevaring

Why is the 5800x so hot?

8 hours ago, IkeaGnome said:

What components are those that you're worried about AND aren't connected to the heat sink?

Now that I have a picture for reference, I'd say all the capacitors, the inductors labeled 2R2 (one is at the lower right of the card) and the one chip in the top right. There seem to be specific holes in the cooler, that allow air to pass to those components.

From what I found out from googling, thanks to the pictures you provided is that:
Capacitors are usually rated to operate at ~105°C for around 2000h of operation. For every 10°C they operate cooler, their lifetime doubles approximately.
Inductors don't really need to be cooled, but since they are close to the powerstage, they usually can conduct quite a bit of heat away from it, which is why they are often cooled.

So I don't need to worry about the inductors, but should I still worry about the capacitors? I would like them to last quite a bit 😄

1 hour ago, adm0n said:

Running the card with that aggressive of an undervolt won't have any of the vrm components going above 60c ever, high end gpus like this will typically get 105-125c 5k-10k caps which would probably run this card for at least 20 years with occasional maintenance, I'd wager something else would die on the card first with heavy use. 

8086k Winner BABY!!

Main rig

CPU: R7 5800x3d (-25 all core CO 102 bclk)

Board: Gigabyte B550 AD UC

Cooler: Corsair H150i AIO

Ram: 32gb HP V10 RGB 3200 C14 (3733 C14) tuned subs

GPU: EVGA XC3 RTX 3080 (+120 core +950 mem 90% PL)

Case: Thermaltake H570 TG Snow Edition

PSU: Fractal ION Plus 760w Platinum  

SSD: 1tb Teamgroup MP34  2tb Mushkin Pilot-E

Monitors: 32" Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p 240hz), Some FHD Acer 24" VA

GFs System

CPU: E5 1660v3 (4.3ghz 1.2v)

Mobo: Gigabyte x99 UD3P

Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO

Ram: 32gb Crucial Ballistix 3600 C16 (3000 C14)

GPU: EVGA RTX 2060 Super 

Case: Phanteks P400A Mesh

PSU: Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w

SSD: Kingston NV1 2tb

Monitors: 27" Viotek GFT27DB (1440p 144hz), Some 24" BENQ 1080p IPS

16 minutes ago, TheDankKoosh said:

Alright. Thank you for clarifying!