Can an AIO CPU liquid cooler be mounted vertically with rad I/O on the top?

nico_bizz
Go to solution Solved by Shimejii,

Im going to be straight up honest with you, Buying "cheap"  Liquid coolers is probably one of the dumbest things you can do.  You are putting your system at so much of a risk for cheap liquid coolers  like that, especially when that ML line hasnt had a stellar reputation. Just buy a Scythe cooler for that price and be fine 🙂

To answer your question with tubing placement, It generally doesnt matter until a few years down the road, Tubes down tend to make less noise and cause less issues due to the fluid levels and such, pump location inside the radiator doesnt resolve it THAT much, since that tends to be important to take that into account as well. It just moves the point of where you have to worry about the liquid levels.

Hi,

I'm looking to buy an AIO watercooler for my ryzen 7 5700x....

My case, an NZXT s340, has 240mm or 280mm radiator mount only on front panel.

I know that there are some issues with mounting radiators vertically with tubing on the top

but is far as I know, some AIO coolers have pump inside the radiator that resolves this prolbem, but they are all over 100$.

I fonund the MASTERLIQUID ML240L V2 RGB that is cheap and has a different style of pump, they call it 3rd GEN DUAL CHAMBER PUMP...

Does it fix the problem?

Thanks for answering.....

Im going to be straight up honest with you, Buying "cheap"  Liquid coolers is probably one of the dumbest things you can do.  You are putting your system at so much of a risk for cheap liquid coolers  like that, especially when that ML line hasnt had a stellar reputation. Just buy a Scythe cooler for that price and be fine 🙂

To answer your question with tubing placement, It generally doesnt matter until a few years down the road, Tubes down tend to make less noise and cause less issues due to the fluid levels and such, pump location inside the radiator doesnt resolve it THAT much, since that tends to be important to take that into account as well. It just moves the point of where you have to worry about the liquid levels.

As long as the pump/block is LOWER than the tubes you shouldn't have issues.  I used to have an old bequiet aio that grumbled every now and then when I had it tubes top.  But it was mostly fine

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

56 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

I actually have a friend that is giving away a Termalright Macho Rev.b... do you think it's sitll good for my situartion?
I was looking for an AIO because I want a much clean build, instead of putitng a chunkier cooler.

Though i just found a video from JayzTwoCents that gives a good explenation of all scenarios of radiator positionig.

I'm probably going to get temporarely my friend's air cooler, and then upgrading in the future with an AIO watercooler.

Thanks for reply

1 hour ago, nico_bizz said:

Hi,

I know that there are some issues with mounting radiators vertically with tubing on the top

but is far as I know, some AIO coolers have pump inside the radiator that resolves this prolbem, but they are all over 100$.

I fonund the MASTERLIQUID ML240L V2 RGB that is cheap and has a different style of pump, they call it 3rd GEN DUAL CHAMBER PUMP...

Does it fix the problem?

I suggest you take a look at the video Gamers Nexus did on AIO placement and where air is likely to get trapped, as said already though as long as the pump is not the highest point of the loop it is fine, even a vertical mounting has a few millimeters of radiator sitting above the tube connection point for air to get trapped and not enter the flow.

8 hours ago, nico_bizz said:

I actually have a friend that is giving away a Termalright Macho Rev.b... do you think it's sitll good for my situartion

It should be fine. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

On 11/20/2022 at 3:54 AM, nico_bizz said:

Hi,

Does it fix the problem?

The EKWB AIOs are on pretty deep discount right now FWIW

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

47 minutes ago, ShawtyT30beTHICCC said:

The EKWB AIOs are on pretty deep discount right now FWIW

Just bought it, thanks for the tip